Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Head to Ground; Size matters

Go down 
+2
rcs619
lami
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

Head to Ground; Size matters Empty
PostSubject: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 12:32 am

some stuff on the chatroom came up and i figured this would be a good way to resolve it and also appear to people who apperantly didnt know i existed on these here forums;

Basicaly, I'm arguing the usefullness of HtG as a valid form of standard measurement for naga.s

through various sources, HtG appears to be determained by various things,

It gets complicated by the existance of fiona,

HtG is allegedly 33% of your length as a snake,

or HtG is allegedly double your human torso length because HtG represents human standing hieght if you had legs,

why this cant be both:

Fiona is 300 feet long and crisis only 225, they both have the same torso size, If Htg is option number 2, then using the HTG measurement its impossible to determain total length of a naga, because they are seperate variables and dont have to be proportional

if Htg is option number one however, then theres no way to measure a Naga's torso length.

cant we have total length measurements for these things? Htg isnt reverse engenierable but you can easily determain it with the full measurements anyway, Besides I never heard anyone measure cobras in HtG

oh and some clarification on which thing HtG is would be helpful too

Last edited by lami on Wed May 28, 2008 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 9:19 am

Hey...not everyone knows my character. It might ease the confusion if we just focused on known and accepted characters. Fiona is still too new to really be used in this argument...

But hopefully this thread will be able to answer some of your questions...

Like I said, Fiona is a little different. Instead of lifting up the first third of her total length (33%) like other nagas, she lifts up the first quarter (25%) of her total length. Her human torso has approximatly the same proportions as a regular naga, she just has a longer tail, so the ratio is different. If she ran into Crisis, they would be about the same height, her tail is just longer...Her snake part is an Emerald Tree boa, a constrictor. So she has a longer and more powerful tail than the average naga.

For example:
We know that Crisis lifts up the first 75ft of her body. If we say that the average naga keeps the first third (33%) of their bodies reared up, which tends to be the general agreement, then we can determine that her total length is 225ft.

Fiona lifts up the first 73ft of her body, but has a longer tail, so the ratio is different. She lifts up the first quarter (25%) of her body. Using that, we can determine that her total length is 292ft. She is about the same height as Crisis and has similar body proportions, but has a longer tail, so her 'body' to tail ratio is different.

<< Once again, the HtG measurement is just a way for you to get an idea about the size of the part of the naga you are most likely going to be interacting with. You may not be able to determine the exact size of a naga's human torso, but if you know about how "tall" they are, you can get a decent estimate. An estimate is about all you can get...There is no real way to measure the size of an imaginary creature >>

...and if you could measure the size of a naga, you would probably just get eaten...
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 9:59 am

Different nagas have different body shapes and like to hold different measures of their body off the ground.

You can't create an exact ratio. There's too many variables.

Look at Crisis, then look at Katrika. Their body shapes are totally different. Unless Kat compacted her body during growth - which is believable, I'll admit - then she would be roughly 400 feet long, wheras Crisis is.... I forget what her exact length is, but I know it's less than 400 feet, despite Crisis being taller.
Back to top Go down
Flare
Survivor
Survivor
Flare

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 3:28 pm

Agreed. This is why I typically give both Height and Length, since to me it gives a more complete picture.
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Its All 19 wrote:

<< Once again, the HtG measurement is just a way for you to get an idea about the size of the part of the naga you are most likely going to be interacting with. You may not be able to determine the exact size of a naga's human torso, but if you know about how "tall" they are, you can get a decent estimate. An estimate is about all you can get...There is no real way to measure the size of an imaginary creature >>

...and if you could measure the size of a naga, you would probably just get eaten...
And i suppose they held still for your little head to ground measurement either?

not being able to measure an imaginary creature is laughable.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 5:53 am

In general the head to ground, it's just to have an idea of how huge the naga is, but it's not necesary show their true size.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 6:48 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
In general the head to ground, it's just to have an idea of how huge the naga is, but it's not necesary show their true size.
why the hell not? pardon my language but why does making a particular nagas size a blurry mystery a good idea?
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 12:40 pm

Quote :
why the hell not? pardon my language but why does making a particular nagas size a blurry mystery a good idea?

Well, personally I feel it adds to the mystique.

And frankly, considering that three of our members have uncensored naked women in their avatars, I'm not sure you need to ask to have your language pardoned.
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 2:16 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Quote :

Well, personally I feel it adds to the mystique.

And frankly, considering that three of our members have uncensored naked women in their avatars, I'm not sure you need to ask to have your language pardoned.
I really dont understand, why do you feel not giving the exact length of your naga adds "mystique" it just means that if someone RPs with or writes a story about her, theyre going to need to ask you, and if you dont tell them they are going to have to make shit up.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 6:48 pm

In a properly written story, one doesn't give the length of an object ro character. This object or character is introduced from the point of view of another character and thusly should be more likely stated as a guess from that character's point of view.

A person seeing Crisis for the first time wouldn't know she was seventy-five feet high, they would simply know she was effin' huge.
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 7:06 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
In a properly written story, one doesn't give the length of an object ro character. This object or character is introduced from the point of view of another character and thusly should be more likely stated as a guess from that character's point of view.

A person seeing Crisis for the first time wouldn't know she was seventy-five feet high, they would simply know she was effin' huge.

And my character cant measure how far away the other side of clif is when shes almost blind but if i want to know if she can jump it, i still need the measurements
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 7:09 pm

GREGOLE wrote:

If I may provide examples, you mean something like this:

"The thing I saw before me was larger than one would think possible with the laws of anatomy. Easily it stretched beyond even a trio of train cars in length, let alone the height rivaling many office buildings."

Instead of:

"The Naga before me was huge, easily over sixty feet tall and a hundred feet long."

This is not to say one should not know the size or capabilities of their own creations. They should. It's just that such things should be introduced at the proper time. Hinting to an exact size or capability often works better than giving a direct limit (As it also leaves room for leeway later on if you change your mind).
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 7:27 pm

Quote :

"The
thing I saw before me was larger than one would think possible with the
laws of anatomy. Easily it stretched beyond even a trio of train cars
in length, let alone the height rivaling many office buildings."

Instead of:

"The Naga before me was huge, easily over sixty feet tall and a hundred feet long."

That's exactly what I meant.

Granted, the second one could still be acceptable too. You didn't give us an exact number, so it's easy to accept that the observer was just making a guess.

Quote :
This is not to say one should not know the size
or capabilities of their own creations. They should. It's just that
such things should be introduced at the proper time. Hinting to an
exact size or capability often works better than giving a direct limit
(As it also leaves room for leeway later on if you change your mind).

I agree with this as well.
Though for the original point of this topic, I still believe one shouldn't worry about what other characters' measurements are. Body types and whutnot.
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 11:51 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Quote :

"The
thing I saw before me was larger than one would think possible with the
laws of anatomy. Easily it stretched beyond even a trio of train cars
in length, let alone the height rivaling many office buildings."

Instead of:

That's exactly what I meant.

Granted, the second one could still be acceptable too. You didn't give us an exact number, so it's easy to accept that the observer was just making a guess.

Quote :
This is not to say one should not know the size
or capabilities of their own creations. They should. It's just that
such things should be introduced at the proper time. Hinting to an
exact size or capability often works better than giving a direct limit
(As it also leaves room for leeway later on if you change your mind).

I agree with this as well.
Though for the original point of this topic, I still believe one shouldn't worry about what other characters' measurements are. Body types and whutnot.

you seem to enjoy ignoring every valid point i make
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Head to Ground; Size matters   Head to Ground; Size matters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Head to Ground; Size matters
Page 1 of 1