Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cross-breeding?

Go down 
+7
Oldman40k2003
vegeta002
/Fish/
Malahite
11cookeaw1
Jætte_Troll
Nyaha
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 2:11 pm

I think there'd have to be occasional cases where two different species mate and create a cross-bred type creature. Like certain random features from each side. :D Wouldn't that be okay, or is it too farfeched?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 4:17 pm

I'd say it depends on the creatures. Certain creatures on earth can cross-breed - sometimes it is simply too much of a difference. I'm not sure how close it needs to be on Felarya. I'm sure that humans and neko's could cross-breed...and fairies will probably at least try to cross-breed with everything...
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 5:36 pm

It'd probably be along the line of genetics, so basically if the two species have a similar makeup, wether it's in terms of general body characteristics or inner-body workings, it'd work. So anything that typically has a human-type body shape and inner workings should be able to cross-breed, so humans, nekos, faries and anything else that fits in there could, I think. But it just an idea. :3
Back to top Go down
11cookeaw1
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
11cookeaw1

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 6:05 pm

coll....
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Personally, I'm not much a fan of cross-breeds. Then again, that's mostly because many of them make no sense.

There are two main issues I see with cross-breeding: Size and genetics.

Size has the obvious issues. A Naga is unlikely to be able to mate successfully with a human unless either: A) It's genetically extremely short (In which case the child would likely be as well if it's to inherit most of the genes from the Naga), or B) It's not developed enough to even yield children.

Genetics, well, that's also relatively simple and complex. First, many animals cannot mate with another unless they extremely close. Extremely. I could see a Dridder mating with a Dridder of a different type (provided #1 doesn't become an issue). However, those children would likely be sterile.

I see these as the potential matings for the main races outside their own species:

Angel: None
Centaur: Sphinx
Chlaenas: None
Dridder: None
Dridder (Naxyla): Centaur, Dryad, Elf, Fairy, Harpy, Human, Naga, Neko, Sphinx
Dryad: None (outside maybe Fairy)
Elemental: None (Unless bound to host, which would likely yield host DNA, not Elemental)
Elf: Fairy, Human, Neko
Fairy: (Maybe) Dryad, Elf, (maybe) Harpy, Human, Neko
Harpy: (Maybe) Fairy
Human: Elf, Fairy, Neko
Mermaids: (Maybe) Naga
Nagas: (Maybe) Mermaid
Neko: Elf, Fairy, Human
Sphinx: Centaur
Succubi: None

Where I put (maybe), I mean that I feel it less likely than the other cross-breeds stated but still could be a possibility above 0%. Reason why many categories don't cross with Naxyla is because the Naxyla instead shifts the host into a new Dridder. Because of this, it's possible for them to change another and create a 'hybrid' but typical procreation would likely fail to work.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Malahite wrote:

I see these as the potential matings for the main races outside their own species:

Angel: None
Angel-demon hybrids have been discussed here before, and some exist in mythology.

Quote :
Centaur: Sphinx
They have similar body structures as quadrupeds for a lower half, but they're too dissimilar in the actual parts, in my opinion.

Quote :
Chlaenas: None
Most likely not with cecaelia; possibly viable with certain 'living fossil' species apart from the two distinct species that has traits of both chlaenas and cecaelias.

Quote :
Dridder: None
Aside from Naxyla dridders, no.

Quote :
Dridder (Naxyla): Centaur, Dryad, Elf, Fairy, Harpy, Human, Naga, Neko, Sphinx
I think they might only be able to 'turn' humans, elves, nekos and the like, though I'm probably wrong. It just seems like the process would be more difficult for centaurs, sphinxes and such.

Quote :
Dryad: None (outside maybe Fairy)
I thought dryads were self-pollinating, and don't seem very compatible for non-tree species. Possibly nature elementals like treants.

Quote :
Elemental: None (Unless bound to host, which would likely yield host DNA, not Elemental)
Well, there's the elemental fairies, so I'm going to say they're compatible with them.

Quote :
Elf: Fairy, Human, Neko
I'm pretty sure humans, fairies, nekos and elves can all interbreed.

Quote :
Fairy: (Maybe) Dryad, Elf, (maybe) Harpy, Human, Neko
Humans, elves, nekos, tinies and elementals are what I can think of. It seems likely though that they can breed with other surprising species.

Quote :
Harpy: (Maybe) Fairy
Most harpies (aside from trochili) don't actually use the genetic material of the father in reproduction, so you have to have something else involved there if you want a harpy hybrid.

Quote :
Mermaids: (Maybe) Naga
Sea nagas seem likely.

Quote :
Sphinx: Centaur
Aside from their build, having a quadrupedal animal lower half, sphinxes and centaurs seem much too dissimilar to have viable offspring. Sphinxes and giant nekos, maybe.

Quote :
Succubi: None
See angels.
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 8:13 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
I think they might only be able to 'turn' humans, elves, nekos and the like, though I'm probably wrong. It just seems like the process would be more difficult for centaurs, sphinxes and such.

Difficult doesn't have to mean impossible.

Last edited by vegeta002 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 8:16 pm

vegeta002 wrote:
Difficult doesn't have to mean impossible.

Probably not.

I'm just speculating here. Only Veeshan123 can give a solid answer.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 8:29 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Angel-demon hybrids have been discussed here before, and some exist in mythology.
Reason I don't see it happening is probably with how I see the two (sustained by a specific energy / 'nature' that would not combine well in most instances).

Quote :
Centaur & Sphinx responses
Fair enough.

Quote :
Probably possible, but in most instances unlikely. It'd likely require a very young or naturally short version of the predator.

Quote :
Dryad response
Fair enough.

Quote :
Well, there's the elemental fairies, so I'm going to say they're compatible with them.
I thought those were more specializations or boastful claims instead of actual lineage.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Malahite wrote:
Quote :

I thought those were more specializations or boastful claims instead of actual lineage.

There are other supposed 'hybrid' species like pit nagas, mist elves, etc. I'll count elemental fairies and those as how they're listed, as subspecies and not 'hybrids', since we're only discussing F1 hybrids here, the ones that are actually born from two different species.

Given that slug-girls are hermaphrodites, they should be able mate with a harpy to produce harpy chicks, but I don't think they can produce actual hybrid offspring with any other species.

Chilotaurs: None

Giants and giantesses: More likely to produce offspring with taurian races than humans, simply because of the size issue with humans no longer applying.

Vampires: None (FurryKurry, I believe you said that you have a vampire/neko character, but I'm going by the Felaryan kind which I don't think can have children.)

Tinies: Fairies

Lemurians: Who cares? Nobody, apparently.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 am

Hybridization of any two species it probably possible if enough magic is used to "patch things up".

And really, who WOULDN'T want a half fairy, half naga, half candy cane elemental?
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 1:11 am

Fairy/Naga hybrid? Could it get any more dangerous?
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 9:52 am

vegeta002 wrote:
Fairy/Naga hybrid? Could it get any more dangerous?

If you're applying /d/ logic, then yes.

Chlarpy
Spoiler:

Minotauridder
Spoiler:

Harpmaid
Spoiler:

Minotarpymaid
Spoiler:

Harphinx
Spoiler:

A different version
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Unlike the above, fairy nekos are possible.
Spoiler:

And just in case you were curious:
Alieneko
Spoiler:

I think that this is what a neko/sphinx would come out like:
Spoiler:

I've got more like those, but it gets a little weird from here.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:16 am

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
Hybridization of any two species it probably possible if enough magic is used to "patch things up".
But then that's not standard hybridization. These would more likely be a sterile creation by some wizard as an experiment than a natural occurrence.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:30 am

Nobody even commented on vampire-nekos. :( I feel ignored.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:35 am

FurryKurry wrote:
Nobody even commented on vampire-nekos. Sad I feel ignored.

I commented that vampire nekos are most unlikely to occur with Felarya's version of vampires as they should not be able to breed and produce offspring, being undead beings.

A neko turned into a vampire is viable, though (which would have to take place out of Felarya).
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:42 am

/Fish/ wrote:

I commented that vampire nekos are most unlikely to occur with Felarya's version of vampires as they should not be able to breed and produce offspring, being undead beings.

Well, even vampires have to have a little fun now and then, right? ;D Hehehe
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 am

FurryKurry wrote:

Well, even vampires have to have a little fun now and then, right? ;D Hehehe

I'm sure vampires can have sex. I'm also sure that they can't have children.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:46 am

Well don't be. It's just an idea after all. Can't blame a guy with Ideas. :(
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:49 am

/Fish/ wrote:
Obviously you've never read Twilight. Lucky /fish/...

Though Vampires can have children in many forms of fiction (supposed real-life vampires were assumed to be able to have Children also, Dhampir's or something would be the name of a cross-breed). In those instances though, I believe the father needed to be the Vampire and the mother Human.

The reason Vampires having children makes so little sense is that at least one of the parents would be quite dead. Sperm would be ancient / likely as dead as George Carlin, and eggs would probably not even leave the ovaries if they hadn't decayed already.
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:51 am

/Fish/ wrote:

Because they are undead? Depends on source, Angel had a son and he is the dead/undead-type. The kid's mother is, too.

Last edited by vegeta002 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:51 am

Where's all this science coming from? Isn't this a fantasy world? At least, for all we know... >.> ^.^
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:56 am

I'm not bashing.

Having vampires only reproduce by turning other creatures into vampires keeps them balanced; the fact that they can't turn people in Felarya, or in other words reproduce, means that they are very balanced for their abilities.

I actually like the idea of a vampire-neko; have you considered a different way for your neko to also be a vampire? Off Felarya, it is as simple as being bitten by one.

Alright, you altered your post.

Quote :
Where's all this science coming from? Isn't this a fantasy world? At least, for all we know... >.> ^.^

I'm just trying to be reasonable.
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:57 am

FurryKurry wrote:

What 'Science', the sources are as fictional as Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 11:01 am

Good point. XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cross-breeding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cross-breeding?   Cross-breeding? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cross-breeding?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next