Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts

Go down 
+13
TheLightLost
MrNobody13
oneweakspot
Archmage_Bael
Slimetoad
Shady Knight
kaitheguy1234
Anime-Junkie
/Fish/
alliance
Karbo
AisuKaiko
Jasconius
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Empty
PostSubject: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:18 am

Here is where I'll post my ideas for creatures that could inhabit Felarya. Quite a few of them may be named after various mythological creatures such as Jasconius.

P.S. I will also add other ideas I've had here from now on.

I agree with the disclaimer.

--------------------------------

Jasconius
Size: 60 to 150 feet
Threat: Very Low - Medium for ships.
Habitat: Topazial Sea

Strange newcomers to the world of Felarya, these massive beasts arrived through the Rift several decades ago and have since established themselves. Resembling massive heavily built hawksbill turtles, these gentle giants feed on the various giant seaweeds for half of a Felaryan year before going into a state of hibernation. During This time they will float on the water's surface and in fact resemble small islands. To add to the illusion, what appear to be small symbiotic bushes and trees will rapidly grow during these times, apparently providing excess energy for the great beasts. Once they awaken, though, they slowly descend once more beneath the waves as their symbionts, if they are indeed separate from the animal itself, retract back into openings in the shell. Females who had mated before hibernating will now go ashore the Torpaline coast in order to bury their eggs in the sand.

Greater Jasconius
Size: 80 to 200 feet
Threat: Very Low - Medium for ships.
Habitat: Iceclad Sea

Larger relatives to the Jasconius, they resemble titan-size leatherback sea turtles. They live a similar life style though they appear to prefer cooler waters. One of the major differences is that they lack the plant symbiotes that their smaller cousin has and have much shorter hibernation cycles in comparison. During their active cycles, they eat seaweed but will also go after swarms of jellyfish. It has been noted that their skin appears to be magic-proof, and this has led to some hunting by humans and nekos who wish to harness this ability in the form of armor.

Aspidochelone
Size: 80 to 120 feet
Threat: Very Low

Massive fish that feed typically on plankton. Schools of up to twenty individuals are not a surprising sight, though they are typically only found in deeper waters. Their great size protects them from most predators, though leviathan mermaids and kraken caelias will gladly devour them if given the chance. They are the evolved descendants of Leedsichthys that made their way into Felarya in the distant past.

Chub-Chubs
Size: 1 foot
Habitat: Forest of Whispers, Bulvon Woods, Chidokai Forest, Negav City (domesticated only)

These small rabbit-like creatures are a common sight in the woods of Felarya. Appearing to possess the body of a rabbit with the markings and coloration of a chipmunk, males possess two nub-like horns on their heads. They breed rapidly as they are a common food source for smaller predators. A domesticated variety also exists.

Dune Hydra
Size: 100 feet
Threat: Very High
Habitat: Akaptor Desert

Predators that hail from another world, these massive creatures are considered a major threat to adventurers due to their ability to sense vibrations through the sand. Possessing a serpentine body, they are covered in thick chitinous plates that are as strong as tempered steel and are impervious to magical attacks. Their maws, which possess a pair of spear-like mandibles on either side, are filled with razor sharp teeth, though they merely engulf small prey whole. Young ones travel in packs and attack prey all at once, giving them their name. Thankfully they are quite rare.

Sand Whales
Size: 45 feet

The peaceful cousins of the dune hydras, they too hail from the same world. They appear to almost resemble a humpback whale, save for lacking fins and being covered in a chitinous exoskeleton. They tunnel through the sand, breaching from time to time as they feed on "sand plankton", which also originates on their home world. They travel in "pods" and can typically be noticed by the spouts of sand they shoot into the air when they surface to breath.

Last edited by Jasconius on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:35 am

Interesting, although some may think they're too similar to Torkudas.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:52 pm

I guess there is a similarity between the two.

I've added more creatures to the list.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 2:20 am

Ahh I already used the idea of turtle islands there : http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Islands_of_the_Topazial_sea ^^

Those are nice creatures you imagined there. I find the sand whales especially interesting Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
alliance
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
alliance

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:29 am

Sand Hydra....love it.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 6:31 am

Do you want me to expand on the sand whale idea?
Back to top Go down
alliance
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
alliance

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 7:24 am

Indeed. It is a very good idea. The sand whales need more fleshing-out
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 4:04 pm

If you have more on them I'll be curious to see Smile
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Sand Whales
Size: 45 to 60 feet
Threat: Very Low, High (If provoked)

Strange animals that come from not only another dimension but also another world, these creatures bear a resemblance to humpback whales, save for lacking fins and being covered in a thick chitinous exoskeleton. The crustacean-like exoskeleton is tan in coloration, helping them to blend in with their surroundings. They possess three pairs of tiny glowing eyes protected by a glass-like covering, though it is believed that they are partially blind and rely more on vibrations in order to "see" the world around them. They are known to be able to swim through sand as easily as a fish does through water. How they accomplish this is unknown, though some mages theorize that they produce a barrier that reduces friction as they dig.

Often encountered in pods, they are relatively harmless unless threatened. If so, they are known to attempt to body slam the threat into oblivion or tunnel beneath them in order to bury them alive. If treated with respect, they are very peaceful and in fact are slightly playful. It is not uncommon for a pod to stop so that curious youngsters can investigate their surroundings once the adults believe that there is no danger.

One can tell if sand whales are in the area by the spouts of sand they shoot into the air when they surface to breath, or by watching them breach. They feed primarily on "sand plankton", strange microbial plants that have spread across the desert. They swallow mouth full’s of sand and then expel the indigestible particles out of the trio of holes on the sides of their jaws.

One of the most bizarre parts of their biology actually plays two roles in their lives. These are a series of pale blue oral tentacles that slightly resemble those of a jellyfish. They apparently use these in communication as adults are often seen using them one another, especially if they've been separated for long periods of time. It is also speculated that they are involved in their "mating" rituals, but this is unconfirmed.

"Sand Plankton"
Strange microbial plankton that can only survive in sand and requires only sunlight and background magical energy to survive. They have spread throughout the desert and they form patches of shimmering sand that crackle with static electricity for unknown reasons. It is not known why they are unable to survive in soil or other substrates. One bizarre mystery surrounding them is the fact that at night one can see faint blue fog-like clouds being produced by the patches of "sand plankton". While many simply view this as a by product of their life cycle, some claim they are in fact terraforming the atmosphere into something more akin to that of their home world. This of course has not been proven. They come from the same world as the sand whales do.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:24 pm

IT'S THE SAND WHALE! AHHHHHHHHHH!

Not a bad design, especially so that you included the possibility that they are able to decrease the resistance of the ground as they go through it by special means.

Now with their mouth tentacles, it seems they might be geared more towards eating things other than microbes. But perhaps that's just because I'm drawing parallels with graboids.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:45 pm

The mouth tentacles weren't meant to be for eating, and I wasn't actually thinking of Graboids (though I do find them awesome) when I was adding them. They are meant for sensory touch, and like male octopuses' and their 8th modified tentacle, reproduction.

Basically I was trying to give them a more alien biology in order to imply that, unlike plenty of other creatures on Felarya that are not native to it, these are from an entirely different world seeing as Felarya itself has "traveled" to various star systems throughout dimensions.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 6:19 pm

You did a fine job at describing them ^_^ It's just the right amount of informations I think Smile
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks! You can remove the mouth tentacles if you think they seem to similar to that of Graboids (though that wasn't intentional on my end, I wasn't thinking of them when I writing their description).

Now for some new concepts.

Sand Emperor Tonorion
Size: 110 to 250 feet
Threat: Medium (when young), Critical (when fully grown)

These massive centipede-like creatures inhabit the Akraptor desert. Their thick exoskeleton is tan in coloration, and instead of having front claws resembling those of praying mantises, theirs are more akin to those of whip scorpions, and like them they also possess a long whip-like tail at the end of their multi-segmented body. This tail is tipped with poisonous bristles. Their head and jaw structure resembles that of sun spiders.

Ironically, despite similarities in appearance, this species is not actually a true tonorion but instead a close relative. This can be seen by he fact that they do not live in hives but are instead solitary predators when fully grown. They also lack the anti-magic aura, though they are immune to the time magic of the Akaptor desert.

Adults are very rare, and it is believed that only about fifty exist in the entire desert. They tend to bury themselves in the sand and wait for prey to come to them. Many a wild beast and nomad have been horrified as the ground before them lifts up like a massive tidal wave in order to reveal a titanic predator, though the latter have developed ways of surviving by staying perfectly still as this creature's eyesight is incredibly poor and they rely on movement in order to sense and see their prey. They can hibernate in this ambush state for years at a time.

Young ones, however, are a completely different story. Very numerous, especially in certain areas such as around the Buried Palace or the massive empty shells of long-dead adults, they are typically only a few feet in length but attack in massive swarms. Luckily, though, they are overly aggressive and will devour their own dead and wounded. A rather gruesome way to overcome their numbers is to cause one of them to "explode", showering their brethren in blood and gore and thus causing them to attack one another in their hunger. Only a few will mature past this stage, and once they do they will form a cocoon and grow into their adult forms.

Coral Crabs
Size: 20 to 30 feet
Threat: Low

These large crustaceans greatly resemble giant violet colored hermit crabs, save for one major difference. Instead of wearing a shell, they possess a thick growth of coral on their backs. As they walk about the seafloor, they resemble miniature mobile reefs. They have little fear of predators due to the high concentration of a unique fire coral, known as dragonfire corals that dominate parts of their body. Few predators can stand the horrible burning sensation associated with touching them.

Opportunistic feeders, they primarily scavenge for food but will also go after small enough animals should they encounter them. They use their right claw, which is abnormally huge in male coral crabs, to crush their prey, and then use their thinner scissor-like left claw to feed. Males use the larger right claw when breeding in order to attract a potential mate.

It is not known how they attract corals and make them grow on their backs, but two theories exist. One states that they actually tear off chunks of coral and then secrete a glue-like substance in order to secure them onto their backs. The other states that they produce chemicals that attracts larval coral that then attach onto their backs.

Razorbeaks
Size: 2 to 3 feet wingspan
Threat: Low to Critical in flocks
Habitat: The Green Hell, Deeper Felarya, Forest of Whispers

These raven-like birds are vicious despite their small size. Possessing glowing white eyes and red-tipped wings, razorbeaks are named after their very sharp hawk-like beaks. On their own they are little more than a nuisance and prefer to feed on carrion, but when part of a flock of hundreds they become a truly deadly threat. They will attack anything, even a giant naga! Luckily, though, they seem to be restricted to The Green Hell and Deeper Felarya, though once in a great while a flock can be witnessed in the Forest of Whispers much to the despair of its inhabitants.

Last edited by Jasconius on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 7:57 am

Mhh I like the coral crab in those ^_^
I will definitely add some of your ideas, if you agree with the disclaimer Smile
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 7:59 am

I agree with the disclaimer, if its the one I'm thinking of that says I give away the rights of these ideas to Felarya, though I'll still be credited with coming up with them, and that anyone can use them.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:02 am

that's the one, thank you Razz
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Papilions
Size: 15 to 35 feet
Threat: Minimal
Habitat: The Green Hell

These large insects greatly resemble massive chubby green caterpillars. Extremely voracious, they devour whatever plant material they can find, clearing whole patches of forest at a time. They are rather slow and at most can go into a lumbering gallop in order to escape predators, though for the most part they rely on the great size in order to ward off smaller creatures. It has been noted that areas where they fed will grow back much faster than how they normally wood, with new sprouts appearing in hours. This has led some to believe these creatures are using some form of nature magic, though this has not yet been proven. Strangely, it is not known whether or not these creatures form cocoons and then transform into butterflies or moths. For now it appears that they stay caterpillars throughout their lives.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 2:58 am

I added the sand whales ^^ I just removed the part about them blowing sand an feeding on plankton.. I felt it was a bit too similar to real whales.. tell me what you think of it Smile
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 5:49 am

I like it!
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Some creature ideas for organisms that also hail from the Sand Whale's world.

Reaper Balloons
Size: 10 to 15 feet
Habitat: Akaptor Desert, Sandfall Maze

Hailing from the same world as the sand whales, reaper balloons resemble small hot air balloons covered in a thick crustacean-like exoskeleton. Tan in coloration, they float in the air with the aid of light gases held within a balloon-like structure which is covered by a thin layer of exoskeleton. They possess six eyes that ring their body, and beneath them is a set of six praying mantis-like spiked forelegs that hang below them. In the center of this is a mouth composed of numerous mandibles that open up like a flower when it is feeding. Though capable of movement in a way similar to a jellyfish (they rapidly move their limbs up and down), they are highly susceptible to strong winds.

Solitary predators, they wait till an unaware creature walks below them. They then drop like a stone and ensnare their prey within their arms before engulfing it whole if it is small enough. If it is too large, they will use their arms to slice up their prey before feeding. Once they are finished eating, they will eventually reinflate their bodies and once again rise into the air.

At night reaper balloons illuminate the sky with their bioluminescence. The reason for why they do this is unknown, but the eery blue lights are remarkably soothing to look at. It is also at this time when they release numerous miniature worm-like larvae that are not only capable of surviving a dozen meter fall but will instantly burrow into the sand. They will feed on microscopic plants during this stage. They appear to be immune to the time warping affects of the sand in Akaptor desert.

Dune Rollers
Size: 3 to 5 feet
Threat: Minimal

Hailing from the same world as the sand whales, dune rollers resemble thick-bodied snakes covered in a crustacean-like exoskeleton. They possess six tiny eyes on their heads which resemble the bodies of crabs. There appears to be several different species, or at least a dozen color morphs consisting of various stripe designs. The stripes resemble elegant tattoos and come in different colors. Its mouth is merely a large slit as they lack jaws. They do however possess extremely sticky blue tongues which they use to snatch up plants and small animals.

They get their names due to the fact that when startled they will curl up into a donut-like shape and begin rolling about at great speeds. They typically live in small groups. Females are larger than males, and possess a small pouch behind their heads which they use to hold their eggs. The young will stay in this for up to three months after they hatch.

For some unknown reason, mages have discovered that these creatures are totally immune to fairy magic. While at first glance this might not seem so strange, it appears this immunity is only to fairies. Should any other being use the exact same spell that a fairy has, it will work as usual as if the immunity wasn't even there. Some speculate that they may have evolved alongside a species on their home world that uses magic in a way similar to fairies, though this has not been proven.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 2:36 am

I love those ideas lol! especially the reaper balloons.
They are strange but not forced and would work well in Akaptor desert indeed. It seems you have taken a liking to this zone XD
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 2:36 am

I'm adding the sand plankton ( renamed Shimmerling ) as soon as the wiki allow me >>
Could you edit your first post and state that you agree with the disclaimer there ? So we don't hae to repeat the operation for each idea ^^;
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 6:57 am

It's done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(based on an old drawing I saw of a shark. Apparently the artist thought they had fur, or thought their scales stuck out.)

Seadogs
Size: 5 to 20 feet
Threat: Low to Moderate
Habitat: Shimmering Sea

Also going by the nickname of fur sharks, these strange creatures appear to be nothing more than regular sharks in terms of morphology and behavior. What separates them from normal sharks is the fact they possess fur instead of scales. They tend to be solitary animals and will devour anything small enough to fit into their mouth. Despite the appearance of fur, these creatures are not mammals.

Some speculate that they are the result of a mad mages experiment.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Some more supernatural ideas for creatures. Still unsure where some of them should live.

Abi (That which possesses)
Size: 5 to 20 feet diameter (core)
Threat: High
Habitat: Varies

Abi are strange, spherical beings hailing from another world. They resemble a red nucleus that is in fact its true form and is referred to as its "core". This core possesses the ability to form a body around it, using whatever material is available. This has earned them the names of demigolems and rage elementals on their home world, even though they are in fact neither golems nor elementals. They reproduce via mitosis with the core splitting into two individuals every few months.

Capable of possessing any liquid or solid and using it to form its body, they are relatively similar to elementals in this matter. What separates them, though, is that abi is biological in nature with the core itself being a living organism. They cannot possess gases, nor can they transform the state of the material they use such as changing water into ice, but they can possess living material such as flesh and blood or bark and sap. The material used is transformed into a vaguely humanoid form with the abi itself at its core. Its size is restricted only by how large the abi itself is, with a five feet diameter abi being able to form a body roughly 20 feet in height, while larger ones can form bodies that can rival a giantess in size.

They are extremely bloodthirsty creatures once provoked, destroyed anything they perceive as a threat with whip-like tentacles, slashing claws, or whatever else they can change parts of their "body" into. They will pursue a threat for miles with deadly accuracy. The only way to stop one is to either kill or damage its core or wait it out until its rage subsides, though this can take several weeks. Luckily, they are relatively rare in Felarya, though how they migrated here in the first place is relatively unknown.

Dendiolwr (Mind Controller)
Size: 1 foot (true form)
Threat: Varies
Habitat: Varies

Dendiolwr resemble tiny scaly imps in their true form, possessing cat-like eyes that glow purple at night and a trio of rat-like tails ending in tiny barbs. While possessing little in the way of strength and being considered nearly as dumb as a glouteux, they are still one of the more dangerous creatures in the world of Felarya. It's not their childish antics or foolhardy pranks that have earned them this title, but their unique ability to possess the minds of whatever creature should eat them.

Should a predator eat them, such as an arboreal frog, they will take over their mind. They then gain the intelligence of the creature they "inhabit". Should they get eaten again, such as by a kensha beast, they will then transfer themselves into its body and abandon its old host. They can keep on doing this, though it becomes harder with smarter and more strong willed individuals such as giant nagas and driders. With intelligent creatures such as these, it is possible for a dendiolwr to be expelled should they fail to take over a mind, forcing them into a mist-like form before retaking their original form.

One can tell if they are dealing with a dendiolwr-possessed being as they possess the glowing purple cat-like eyes at night or by a rather odd change in their personality should they be an intelligent creature. A powerful enough magic user can perform an "exorcism" to expel this minor demon. It should be noted that some dendiolwr attempt to get themselves eaten by larger and larger creatures, some with ultimate goals of being devoured by a guardian so they can take over it and possess their immense power. Luckily, though, this is a near impossibility as the will of a guardian is something no mere mortal can even hope to overcome.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 11:08 am

Some new ideas for creatures hailing from the same world of the sand whales, one shows a bizarre plant/animal morphology and the other is a small flying creature.

Goro-Goro
Size: Larvae: 6 to 12 feet long, Adult: 20 to 50 feet tall
Threat: Low in larvae, Medium in adults
Habitat: Great Rocky Fields, Sandfall Maze

Hailing from the same world as the sand whales, the goro-goro have proven to be a rather difficult animal species to categorize, if indeed they can be considered animals at all. Their unique two-stage life-cycle exemplifies the bizarreness of the world from which they hail from.

Their larval form resembles a rather large leech covered in armored plating and possessing three pairs of violet-colored eyes near the head. They are parasitic, feeding on the blood of the numerous larger creatures native to the area, and have earned the title of annoying pests by the locals. Once they have fed enough, they burrow into the ground and begin to molt into their adult form.

Their adult form is what causes much trouble when it comes from distinguishing these as either fauna or flora. The larva develops into a tree-like organism that is covered in a thin layer of chitinous exoskeleton instead of bark and whose branches end in numerous large yellowish bulbs instead of leaves. Now unlike barnacles and other fauna that possess mobile larval stage and sedentary adult stages, the goro-goro develops a root system that spread out thinly beneath the soils surface and its bulbs are photosynthetic, both traits that are more associated with flora. The adult possess the unique ability to generate lightning from their bulbs, using it to strike any creature that comes to close to it. While not lethal, the bolts are rather painful. When not in use, arcs of lightning and static electricity can be seen "bridging" the bulbs together.

These bulbs eventually fall off and burst, revealing numerous eggs.

These organism appear to have formed a symbiotic relationship with the greater stormseeker. The stormseeker feeds off the "tree's" lightning while at the same time protecting it from more resilient creatures, and in turn the goro-goro larvae use the stormseeker as both a host and a transport in order to be carried throughout the area.

(optional)
The adults appear to communicate with one another in a way similar to the network of dryads. Unlike them, however, they appear to use radio waves, and this was discovered when their "signals" were picked up by devices used by explorers and adventures who traveled near them. So far they appear to only communicate via bee-like buzzes that are known to cause headaches in those who listen to them for too long.

Razorwings
Size: 3 inches to 6 foot wingspans
Habitat: Great Rocky Fields, Sandfall Maze, Akaptor Desert, Orelosk Plateau

Hailing from the same world as the sand whales, the razorwings are a bizarre groups of small flyers. Possessing cylindrical bodies that are cigar-shaped and two blade-like wings jut out on either side of their body. Their mouth, located on the front of their body, is circular in shape. Their bodies are covered in a smooth exoskeleton that gleams in the sunlight and can range from bright red to a light tan depending on the species. They lack eyes and are believed to use a form of echolocation.

Forming small flocks, they zoom through the air and perform various acrobatic feats by unknown means as their wings are used only as stabilizers. They feed on various insects and such that fly in the air. They avoid larger predators by making sharp turns and other maneuvers in order to lose them during a chase.

They are relatively harmless, though their wings can cause deep cuts should they bump into something, though this is a rare occurrence. They fly throughout their entire lives and lack the ability to land.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts   Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jasconius' Creature Ideas and other Concepts
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next