Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?

Go down 
+16
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
Stabs
xlrp
rcs619
The Rev
spike833
/Fish/
Jew
Anime-Junkie
Malahite
Saironthis
VenomX3000
Pendragon
AisuKaiko
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Empty
PostSubject: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:08 am

I hear a lot of "____ is bland!", "____ never should've been made canon!", "____ is one-dimensional!", "____ is overrated!", and I know people have their opinions, but the negativity is unnerving to me.

That being said, I'd like to find out which characters people think aren't used often enough and which ones are overlooked. I've heard enough about which characters people hate, but now I'd like to maybe hear which ones people think need just a bit more love. ^^;
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:08 am

AS much trash as I've talked in the past, I actually never considered any characters under or overrused. Even Crisis doesn't get so much attention as she used to. It's nice that it balanced out. Shows a good balance of each of the characters.

HOWEVER, I have been feeling that Cypress could definitely use more action. Maybe see what she defends the Jungle Bowl from.
Back to top Go down
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 11:25 am

Personally, think Alvar should get more spotlight. I mean come on, he's Alvar.
Back to top Go down
http://venomx3000.deviantart.com/
Saironthis
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Saironthis

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Of Karbo's characters, Drayla, Arale, and Iridian have to rank pretty high on the underrated list.

Alvar has a fan-fic floating around somewhere...Though again, he is underused as well.
Back to top Go down
http://thatonedude236.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:37 pm

If we count them, pretty much any Fauna / Flora that isn't directly related to some human being harvested or plot-related to saving a young (Giant) Predator.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 2:12 am

Malahite wrote:
If we count them, pretty much any Fauna / Flora that isn't directly related to some human being harvested or plot-related to saving a young (Giant) Predator.
Malahite speaks the truth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Jew
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Jew

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 2:41 am

I know this is gonna sound mean but basically any character not designed to be sexually attractive/an avatar for the reader. Felarya needs more wise/grumpy old men IMO, if everyone looks like a 15 year old Japanese character it gets really old really quick.

Last edited by Jew on Wed May 19, 2010 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 4:49 am

Jew wrote:
I know this is gonna sound mean but basically any character not designed to be sexually attractive/an avatar for the reader.
I think that's untrue.
Jew wrote:
Felarya needs more wise/grumpy old men IMO, .
Plenty of those, they just don't look old.

Changing the immortality thing will change that, but it means that if someone looks 100, they're more likely to be 500
Back to top Go down
Jew
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Jew

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 5:24 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
I think that's untrue.

Fair enough, list all the legitimately plain or unattractive canon characters. Who get enough attention. Nightmare mode: Y Chromosome does not automatically constitute unattractiveness.

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Plenty of those, they just don't look old.

Changing the immortality thing will change that, but it means that if someone looks 100, they're more likely to be 500

Hope the immortality thing changes, because if they don't look the part, can they really play the part? I know appearance isn't anything, but you can't tell me Albus Dumbledore or Gandalf would inspire the same reactions from viewers as 20-year-old characters with the same lines and personalities.

Last edited by Jew on Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Jew wrote:
Hope the immortality thing changes, because if they don't look the part, can they really play the part? I know appearance isn't anything, but you can't tell me Albus Dumbledore or Gandalf would inspire the same reactions from viewers as 20-year-old characters with the same lines and personalities.

Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? First_10

Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Tenth_10

Well, look at the Doctor. He's still the Doctor whether he's an old or young man, his foes are equally wary of all his incarnations and he invokes the same amount of respect from those who know of him.

Now to be more on topic, I think exposure and usage will become less of an issue as the manga goes along and we'll gradually get to see more of them.
Back to top Go down
Jew
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Jew

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 5:10 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Well, look at the Doctor. He's still the Doctor whether he's an old or young man, his foes are equally wary of all his incarnations and he invokes the same amount of respect from those who know of him.

Now to be more on topic, I think exposure and usage will become less of an issue as the manga goes along and we'll gradually get to see more of them.

Good example, lol. He's certainly a powerful, respectable figure, but I'm actually a weirdo in that I think Eccleston and most of the old doctors were better at really making you think about how old he was and the stuff he'd been through. Tennant was great and Matt seems fun so far, but they're really different people from their older incarnations, and it still really affects how viewers see them. Like, it was all fine and dandy of Rose to bang Ten because he looks and acts mostly young, whereas 9 was more of a father figure to her.

Last edited by Jew on Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
spike833
Marauder of the deep jungle
spike833

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:59 am

My list of characters in this category in no particular order.

1.Alvar
He is a very interesting character who has gotten very very little exposure (his appearance in the manga was too quick and minimal and, I apologize if this sounds mean, but this kinda made his fight with the huge Tonorion seem a bit Mary-Sue-ish when it really could have been developed more), alot of questions about him are still left unanswered.

2. Other Male Preds
Felarya needs more elaboration on its male pred characters. I know many come to see the women, but its a biological fact that in a majority of species, there is a male counterpart. Also, I know most people don't like the idea of male vore (I personally find it to be a nightmarish concept personally), but if it is a part of the defined dietary pattern in any female pred of the same species, it should be for the males as well. The main problem is that many of us in the community feel that vore should be depicted as being fetishy, but however this is a casual thing for the predators (except for those with nymphomania -looks at Vivian- but that obviously is a different story).

3.Any Flora or Fauna.
-"Felarya T1: Adventurers in Crisis" stated that though giant predators such as nagas like Crisis are high on the food chain, they are not at the top. One of the panels showed Crisis hiding from some Kensha Beasts, whom from what I have heard about them, would be absolutely devastating to a naga all alone. Felarya is full of these large animals as big and powerful as Kensha Beasts and Tonorions, and some even bigger and deadlier, so I think some more elaboration on these perils also on a predator level would create a more dangerous and realistic atmosphere.

After all, how does a naga escape from a pack of Kensha Beasts with venomous claws and powerful jaws?

4. Kaiten Monroe
Nuff said! Great male character with endearing traits, unfortunately seriously underrated.

Thats all I can think of right now.
Back to top Go down
The Rev
Hero
Hero
The Rev

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 5:36 pm

I can never get enough of Menyssan Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Aya: I mean, hardly anyone ever uses her. I think she's interesting, personally. Nice, kind and wouldn't harm a soul normally....but has that whole berserk thing she doesn't even really know about.

Temi: Just about no one uses Temi..and she's awesome. I mean, she's this kind, wise, healer-lady that likes to help people. I know I'd want to give Temi a hug if I ever had the chance.

Lily: She's a racist, homicdal fairy who likes to horribly murder people with vines and drain the life out of them. I think she's kind of interesting, and we don't see many of the "bad guys" used at all.

Anko: She's a gossip, a bully, a prankster, and kind of a bitch. Once again, a pretty neat "bad guy" in Felarya that doesn't see a whole lot of use these days.

Male preds in general: The dudes of Felarya just don't get enough love. I propose we unleash a horde of rabid fangirls into the jungle with orders to hug any male pred they see. Some may not survive, but that is a risk Im willing to take.

Remember folks, do Felarya a favor and hug a male pred today.

Felaryan wildlife: I just think too many stories focus too heavily on the preds at the expense of everything else. Felarya is a vast alien realm full of all kinds of amazing and terrifying creatures. The giant hybrids should be an "oh shit!" moment in most stories...not just something that happens in the first couple paragraphs. I wish more people would give the wildlife more attention, maybe have some stories about people observing and surviving in the jungle without even running into a giant hybrid...and just having to survive against the local wildlife. It would be an interesting change.
Back to top Go down
xlrp
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 1:01 pm

I might at well throw in my list of underrated and underused characters. But there is a difference between underrated and underused so I'll a make a list for both.

Most underrated characters.

Arale: Look at her profile. The girl is practically a lawyer ready to find every loop whole imaginable to get her way. Fully equipped with some of the most powerful Ice magic around

Rin: One of the first Rising Stars of Felarya. A cute and lovable ice Naga that has her ups and downs.

Iridan: She has the power of Magneto from X-men. The possibilities are open and endless

Déméchrelle: The darkness made living. has the power of a Guardian no thinks about giving her a cup of coffee.

Alvar: Either gets over powered and labeled a Mary Sue. Or underpowered and punching bag for the fan-fic writer using him at that time. The guys does have some heavy strong points and week point. No one seems to be able to figure that out

Most Underused

Lily: Where do we start with her. Cruel ruthless and down right mean spirited towards humans. Will go so far as to mutate a human into something before she accepts friendship with one. Had a major falling out with Crisis. Yet hasn't been touched by any writer since her creation.

Arale: She is practically a James Bond Villian with her ambiton. lets go down the songs that describe her
The world is not enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRPWFzONm88
Everything or nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLFSJgW9vSY
Dimonds are Forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWQir3sL72Q

Temi: Considering she is a motherly characters. Not too many are keen on having a mom in the story.

Faldathée: A more sexy version of Menyssan.

Drayla: good luck on using her.
Back to top Go down
http://xlrp.deviantart.com
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 8:20 am

xlrp wrote:
Arale: Look at her profile. The girl is practically a lawyer ready to find every loop whole imaginable to get her way. Fully equipped with some of the most powerful Ice magic around

xlrp wrote:
Rin: One of the first Rising Stars of Felarya. A cute and lovable ice Naga that has her ups and downs.
Well, that's true, but Randomdude678 appears once in a blue moon... I heard he's barely active at all lately. Besides, we should let her character get stablished before we start using her, he's been using her nonstop and there's no future form of her by the time her adventures are done with, we don't know what her character would be like in a moment of peace, or what would she do in such a moment.

xlrp wrote:
Iridan: She has the power of Magneto from X-men. The possibilities are open and endless
She's not underrated, she's just unusable! All she's in Felarya for is hunting, unless you need a generic hunting succubus that's that! We don't even have no idea what would her plotting be like, what is she looking for. All we know is that she's got a crunch on Menny.

xlrp wrote:
Déméchrelle: The darkness made living. has the power of a Guardian no thinks about giving her a cup of coffee.
Wait, we could use her? I thought she was meant to stay asleep!

xlrp wrote:
Alvar: Either gets over powered and labeled a Mary Sue. Or underpowered and punching bag for the fan-fic writer using him at that time. The guys does have some heavy strong points and week point. No one seems to be able to figure that out
Dude killed an abyssal giant tonorion. With magic. Now how do we challenge him? Only with a relationship! And none of us are too keen on playing wingman for that jerk.
That said, we did have a lot of fun at his expense... "He prolly don't even have to ask. He just points at his dick and they obey." Hehehe... that Venom guy...

Most Underused

xlrp wrote:
Lily: Where do we start with her. Cruel ruthless and down right mean spirited towards humans. Will go so far as to mutate a human into something before she accepts friendship with one. Had a major falling out with Crisis. Yet hasn't been touched by any writer since her creation.
Hadn't Gregole and Nyaha touched her?

xlrp wrote:
Arale: She is practically a James Bond Villian with her ambiton. lets go down the songs that describe her
Intrigue = difficult. Period. It'd be a waste to just have her hunt.

xlrp wrote:
Temi: Considering she is a motherly characters. Not too many are keen on having a mom in the story.
That's not the problem.

xlrp wrote:
Who can explode you with a thought. Too much power, and not enough conflict to drive her. She's already got a plane of Hell to herself and is pretty stablished. How do you use such a character?

xlrp wrote:
Indeed...

That said, this sounds like a challenge.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:15 am

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:
I'm pretty sure she is, considering what she would do if she woke up.
Back to top Go down
itsmeyouidiot
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:48 am

I'd like to see more of Aya. There's really not much about her that's been fleshed out.

(I'd love to be friends with her, by the way)
Back to top Go down
xlrp
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:
Well, that's true, but Randomdude678 appears once in a blue moon... I heard he's barely active at all lately. Besides, we should let her character get stablished before we start using her, he's been using her nonstop and there's no future form of her by the time her adventures are done with, we don't know what her character would be like in a moment of peace, or what would she do in such a moment.

True The guy still like to see his characters getting attention even when he's not around. Until He come back around have fun while keeping it within reason. Show him some love and let him know he still have fans around and is still inspiring people. But there are plenty of times when she is at peace. moment like when she is first taken in by Capt Falcon. Or when she was with Terra and ect.

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:
She's not underrated, she's just unusable! All she's in Felarya for is hunting, unless you need a generic hunting succubus that's that! We don't even have no idea what would her plotting be like, what is she looking for. All we know is that she's got a crunch on Menny.

Come on all the high tech civilization she can reek havoc on. There are plenty of thing using giant robots swords and ect.

You can always develop more of hell with her plotting and back. Plus with her intense crush on Manny it can be directed toward Crisis and she could pass for Menyssan's Twin.

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:

Yep she can be used. feel free to test that out. Wink

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:
Dude killed an abyssal giant tonorion. With magic. Now how do we challenge him? Only with a relationship! And none of us are too keen on playing wingman for that jerk.
That said, we did have a lot of fun at his expense... "He prolly don't even have to ask. He just points at his dick and they obey." Hehehe... that Venom guy...

A lot of ways. He can only do so much. He need that sword for fairy magic he would otherwise not be able to use because of his lack of eye site. He has a lot of flaws, unarmed combat is a good way to go.

Reason he wears that loin cloth have fun with it.

Most Underused

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:
Hadn't Gregole and Nyaha touched her?

Mind if I get some links to this?

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:
Intrigue = difficult. Period. It'd be a waste to just have her hunt.
One again there is all of hell to work with and plenty of villains you can work with. Hell you can even have her show off with Rin

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:
That's not the problem.

Not sure when MILF fans got in Felarya

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:
Who can explode you with a thought. Too much power, and not enough conflict to drive her. She's already got a plane of Hell to herself and is pretty stablished. How do you use such a character?

Simple you explore the people who interact with her and her relationships with them. Like her boyfriend King Trazix one of main reason on Felarya. There is also her relationship with Endymion that is like a in-law that she doesn't get along with. As well as her complaining at her General Menyssan to be her Successor.

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:
Indeed...

That said, this sounds like a challenge.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://xlrp.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Masumi: As far as I know, there's nothing with her, so all she is to me right now is boobs and hair. I'm sure she's an interesting character, I'd just like to see her more developed.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 8:18 pm

xlrp wrote:

Stabs wrote:
xlrp wrote:

Yep she can be used. feel free to test that out. Wink

wat

Your telling me I can play wake the sleeping "Goddess of Darkness" without any care to the eventual and most likely disastrous effects on others it will cause? I feel like I need confirmation form Karbo before I get all giddy.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:34 pm

This is what Karbo said Déméchrelle can do:
Karbo wrote:
Yes she is definitely extremely powerful, mostly because she can cause an endless vicious circle that could turn all Felarya into an evernight forest ^^

Seems to me that any story that involves her being awake must involve the Guardians to put her back to sleep (after an appropriate battle of course) and I'm sure that we all know that the Guardians aren't supposed to really be characters in stories.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 8:22 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Karbo wrote:
Yes she is definitely extremely powerful, mostly because she can cause an endless vicious circle that could turn all Felarya into an evernight forest ^^

What's so bad about everything becoming the Evernight Forest?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 8:52 am

Grave wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
Karbo wrote:

Lots of things.
For one, it means the end of human civilisation on Felayra.
The current ecosystems would be destroyed. Nothing would be able to compete in darkness except the denizens of Evernight.
Not to mention that physics are altered, strange things are in Evernight forest. Things that you want to stay there.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 9:48 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Grave wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
Karbo wrote:

Lots of things.
For one, it means the end of human civilisation on Felayra.
The current ecosystems would be destroyed. Nothing would be able to compete in darkness except the denizens of Evernight.
Not to mention that physics are altered, strange things are in Evernight forest. Things that you want to stay there.

Look, when I ask what's so bad about something, you are supposed to list off the bad things, not all of the perks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?   Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Most Underrated/Underused Character(s)?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next