Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas

Go down 
+29
Gamma
jedi-explorer
Grave
DarkOne
Sigurd
Darth_Nergal
asaenvolk
Stabs
Ilceren
Gabriel115
Nyaha
parameciumkid
keroko
FalconJudge
TheArchvile
Sehoolighan
Black Aquila
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
MrNobody13
Oldman40k2003
Slimetoad
Jasconius
Pendragon
Feadraug
Warrior3000
Karbo
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Kaokitol City

The main city in the Crimson Wood where Crimson Maidens reside. It resides as a massive safety zone for Crimson Maidens, the only thing Marking it as a City would be a massive wall of grown bushes and plants backed by a wooden wall, in addition to a few other buildings. The front of the natural wall is riddled with all sorts of aggressive plants and traps. Mounted heads of important victims or criminals are put on top of the wooden wall. In addition to the wall, the massive temple of Alsherala is in the very center. The homes of the Crimson Maidens are all built into the trees or against them at varying levels in height. The homes are built by the residents of the city, so may not always be built in the tree, but into it, or on the rare occasion of stone. There are certain buildings dedicated to the massive military force of the Fire Legions though. Kaokitol city is one of the, if not the only city that can protect it's existence with it's military alone, but the Crimson Wood's whole forest is used as training - so the boundries of the Crimson Wood might as well be their entire home, well known by each Maiden. Beware when entering...

Frost Bog

Also within the Imoreith Tundra lies a stinking frozen swamp just along the north left side of the Tundra, near an entrace to the Crystal Caverns. The temperature in this region is below freezing all the time, but yet the water never seems to freeze, and no one can figure out why. There are many lights within this bog, and all who follow them simply disappear. No bodies are ever lying within the swamp because of that. It is said to be the doorway to another dimension among the sapient species residing in the Frost Bog. Many creatures within the bog create mischeif and illusions, making one think they are warm or frozen or even mixing up where the water or land in the swamp is. Getting through without stepping into the water, or being tricked by illusions is exceedingly difficult in this subtle zone. Passing further north is ill advised.

Shield of Letheron

It is said that long ago a massive fight broke out in the center of the Tundra causing a massive shield shaped ice formation to appear in the very center of the Tundra. It also helps that spellcasting is significantly buffered within a close radius. The shield is so tall and so wide that it cannot be seen unless the skies are perfectly clear. The shield is very clear through the center but cant be seen all the way through, which shows how thick the formation is. Various items can be seen stuck within the ice, even jewels and treasure. Many have gone mad trying to break through the ice to get them, but none have succeeded. There is one building though partially trapped, with the front door exposed and the name "Letheron" over it. As such, this formation is called the Shield of Letheron, and remains a total mystery.

---

Actually I lied. There will be ANOTHER three ideas to post after this one.
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 3:08 am

The Crystal Cave might need renamed, its a common fantasy cave name, but the idea for the place isn't bad. It does need a bit more expanding though, how does it "resist magic" is magic hard to cast on it? or does it make magic weaker within it? Also what kind of crystals are found in the crystal cave?

Also the Frost Bog is not a bad idea, keep in mind I live close enough to the Tundra that I have been there. One idea (biased off of something from real life) is that it has lakes so covered with floating vegetation that humans can walk on it, though it is dangerous, and if you fall through your unlikely to be able to resurface.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Damn you, Bael! >.< You stole all the thunder from my latest idea! Oh well, better help where I can anyway. :33

The Ice Wyvern: Somehow, I question the intelligence of using ice to capture things that are ostensibly already immune to extreme cold. O.o Then again, I think I've used that myself where my Snow Leopard Nekos are concerned, so I might have made a mistake somewhere. "Instinct-will based function" seems like it's worded awkwardly to me, but I get what you're saying there so it might not need fixing really. :/ Also, if they're fish things, does that mean they can go in the water? Also, do they have lungs or like, magic specialized gills? Otherwise, this sounds like a pretty distinct idea. I like the three-fin-tail shape, it sounds cool. I think you should try to find some relation between these and the lights that appear in the Tundra's night sky. Perhaps a common belief or misconception people have about them or something. Oh! Maybe they're like wales, except in that, instead of having lungs, they have special gills that "breath" the lights, so when it becomes daytime, they have to hold their breath for a really long time? Very Happy

Snow Pantaur: "Pantaurs despite being feline and having a predisposition for..." -- I'm not really sure if you're referring to regular Pantaurs here or your idea (though I think it's probably the latter). I think it's better to make sure people who read your ideas don't get confused, so you might want to keep references to different pantaurs distinct from each other. The sentence after that, "Snow Pantaurs enjoy playing with prey..." seems to repeat itself at the end. Because redundancy is redundant. I like that they have their own way of thinking in that intelligence doesn't constitute personhood. I also like that you're coming up with so many ideas for the tundra; we need those! Very Happy Although, you might want to go into slightly more detail as to how their human halves resist the cold despite being bare. You may also want to consider stating average size, or a range of sizes.

Crystal Caverns: "...one large underground snaking hallways and rooms..." - this is an inconsistency in your grammar that I cannot overlook. Singular or plural; please pick only one. ^^; "...will feel a sense of dryness." Sorry, but I don't understand exactly what that means. Like, their mouths or skin just feel dry? Or like, they feel apathetic about things? Also, what do you mean when you say it rejects magic? Like, magic in all forms just doesn't work inside the caves? Or like, if you use a magic spell, the crystals will bounce it around all over? Overall, this idea just confuses me and I think maybe needs to be worked out a little more, or put into better words or something. >.<

Kaokitol City: " It resides as a massive safety zone..." I think "presides" would be a better word here. Sorry for grammar harping. Other than that, I don't see any glaring issues. I think it's pretty neat idea, just like they have Kortiki Town in the Fairy Kingdom. Very Happy It makes sense that they'd have buildings for their military, too, after all, they have to keep their armor somewhere, right? :3

Frost Bog: You start off by stating that it's a frozen swamp, but then say that the water never freezes. I think the first part is a little misleading. >.< Also, what do you think a bog is? Do you mean there's supposed to be thick foliage with gloomy-looking plants everywhere? According to what I've read, it's supposed to be either a muddy type of terrain, or a wetland with a bunch of moss and dead plant matter covering it? So I'm not quite sure we're imagining the same thing here. Also, are the lights floating in the air, or are they on the ground or between the plants or what? And what sort of creatures and 'sapient life' exactly live here? O.o I find myself just constantly confused, I'm sorry to say. My feedback might not be much help on this one.

Shield of Letheron: A massive fight between what? Guardians? Preds? Correctionists? Or is the fact that we don't know exactly what happened enough to constitute leaving that blank? O.o Otherwise, a pretty neat idea that I guess could be expanded on later? Right now I don't see it being particularly useful. It seems more like something someone would post in the Rumors Thread.

Hope this helps! And direct some of your traffic my way, please! ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Well I'm not sure what to Call it, but if you know a better name than the Crystal Cave then feel free to tell me XD, and just like I said, the Crystals resists magic, nearly nullifies it.

As for the bog, yes I know I've seen bogs before. I don't know if vegetation is the right word though, to me it looks like grass and mud and stuff...
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Trust me if your from a Dry climate you can feel it when you go into a humid climate or vice versa. While its hard to discribe, it just feels different when you change humidity to a large degree.
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:26 pm

well have SEEN a tundra bog they are a little different, at least a little, their is still grass, but allot more moss and their also tends to be wild flowers, also cat-tails tend to exit their in small numbers believe it or not.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Yeah I know Ace, thanks for correcting me.

Nyaha, as for the "lights" they're also called "Will-o-wisp", and they appear as (ghostly) lights over bogs, swamps, marshes, etc and it resembles a lamp sorta. They recede when approached, drawing travellers from safe paths. At least that's how I know it. Since I've never walked through a marsh, bog, etc, I'm not sure how true that is, or how alluring those lights are. There's lots of European Folklore about those lights. I believe the real cause is methane...?

Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Green Volcano

Between the regions Green Hell and Imoreith Tundra, along the northern end of the mountain range exists a tall Cone Volcano that slants over to one side. Some of the trees have grown up the slanted edge of the mountain though, and the magic in the soil has seeped over a little almost to the magma veins. Because its situated so close, when the volcano erupts it tends to seep out Green Lava, similar to the green fire that often sweeps across the adjacent region.

With the Lava seeping down off the slanted side into the Tundra, it creates a deep chasm filled with an eerie green light from the lava down below, and with the Bog on the western side it leaves the top edge of Imoreith Tundra with only one small passage to go further north.

Rebirth

This is one way new Angels or Demons come into being within the realms of heaven and hell. Often when people die they just go to either heaven or hell and that's it. However, there are a few people who, in their life, are exemplary figures of kindness, justice, and benevolence, or in the opposite case being malevolent, greedy, or any kind of cruelty. People who reach the extremes of those attributes and exemplify them will find their new life in the post-death realms of heaven or hell to be quite different than other people. The lucky few will find themselves reborn through their angelic or demonic actions in life and born as an Angel or Succubus post death.

Suffice it to say, this is still a very rare occurrence, and just because it can happen doesn't mean it will. An evil-doer will often find themselves in hell for punishment, just as good person will find themselves in heaven relaxing. It is unknown whether someone reborn as an angel or demon (succubus or otherwise) will remember their previous life....

Angelicism

This is a religion within Negav. It involves believing in the afterlife as one giant realm divided into heaven and hell with an uncross-able border where there are both good and bad angels that reward or punish the worth or unworthy. They also believe Hell is the pain of watching what they could have on the other side, yet unable to and constantly punished for their misdeeds. Believers of this religion are convinced Angels and Demons are real, and believers will often suspect people - and in some cases try to prove it. Of course this makes for the perfect compliment or insult to someone, but whether they're right or not is a different matter...

There's no specific deity in this religion though, no savior who has come to save them from their sin, just the belief that Angels and Demons walk among them, which often cause this particular group of religious individuals to act really friendly towards people in the hopes of being rewarded for their actions after death. Some times they often seem like nutcases to the average hardened adventurer. Someone who is nice when they should be caring about themselves and always trying to stay alive instead of accepting their death in the face of a predator, or whether they claim to see their death in the stars, or the spirits is surely an awkward person.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 10:03 am

So many ideas here, you are on a roll Smile
Angelicism is an interesting concept, I could imagine some people getting a bit paranoid like that knowing the existence of supernatural beings ^^
Nice job with the frost bog as well. You don't usually see those two terrains being linked together but the mix is intriguing

I'd like to add the Flat Back Frost Turtle for now :3 I really like that idea of a huge land monster, becoming part of the landscape. That would certainly make an impressive sight and it fits well in the zone I think. So do you agree with the disclaimer ? ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 2:42 pm

You might not suspect it, but yeah, it has bogs, most certainly it would have bogs, especially along its edge where it stops being tundra, but hardly only there being likely. You see the ground is frozen, so even when the snow on the tundra melts, and it does, the water can't soak into the ground and it wont evaporate very fast so it builds up and fetters. In the end it becomes FULL of plant life, its kinda like a swamp with out trees, but it typically makes up that biomass with extra mosquitoes.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 pm

I agree with it. ^^
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 am

Reworked the Snow Pantaurs here. Much thanks to Stabs who helped me with these ideas. (Consider it a collaboration)

-----
Snow Pantaurs

Snow Pantaurs are mediocre in number within the Tundra, due to the low amounts of food, but they're in the same size range as other normal pantaurs, but their looks and behaviors are different. These beautiful creatures have long, beautiful white fur designed for the freezing cold. Their human halves are protected by various means aside from their naturally thick, slick bodies. Magic is commonly practiced to an extent, as well as the wearing of furs when the resources can be scavenged.

They will also grow out their hair to incredible lengths, and use braids, ponytails, sideburns, or anything else to decorate it in various means. Usually their human hair extends down their entire backside.

Aside from meat, they also eat whatever fish they can catch from the bodies of water, or the sea banks at the western edge of the Tundra. This gives them an excellent digestive system (combined with the need for efficient metabolism) that puts nearly everything they eat to use.

As such, they often gather together to hunt. Various families will stay in a relatively close proximity with each other. They make their home with whatever they, or the surrounding wilderness has or offers.

Snow Pantaurs are commonly social up through their families (family groups are very tight). Friends are made on a hunting-partner basis when they come out of hibernation. As such, every Pantaur must earn the friendship of the others within the group, and the ones who can be interesting remain friends. This is why they often share stories, strangers with stories, body warmth, burrows, and anything else. Company is always preferred among them though, despite this harsh outlook. Often when one is no longer deemed to be a friend, it is common for the Pantaur in question to disappear one night before anything fatal happens. Being outgoing toward each other is extremely important because of all this, as other Pantaurs who are deemed useless, or who are not fit enough to live will commonly be eaten by anyone save for their family members.

This extends towards everyone though, not just each other. Any adventurers of any kind giant or otherwise who pass through the Tundra, even if their type hasn't been seen before are still recognized as a potential meal, and will often be judged prematurely as such due to their preference towards each other over other races.

Aside from their Xenophobic stance they are capable of art, music, and exhibit small tribal cultures. They will paint and make patterns on cave walls, clothes, sing stories to each other, and many other things. Sometimes the story of their family is passed down orally, embroidered somehow, or exhibited through any of the previously mentioned themes. Their art and music varies from family to family. Some of them don't do this at all, and are concerned merely living day to day, and others may be fascinated with it.

---
additional thoughts:

I went and changed their social behaviors a bit. They WILL eat each other, they are open to it, but it is rare. As it is otherwise implied or stated every snow pantaur is a good story teller. I guess generally they wont eat each other unless they have to, unlike many other species who will refuse to eat each other even when they may have to. For the sake of survival, it is mutually understood.

As for clothes, yes they wear clothes. I was hesitant of this at first, but then realized it'd be stupid if they didn't, it may be common for people in felarya not to wear clothes, but this world is more than just a fetish place now, after all.

So, feedback? Things to fix? Don't just say its perfect because stabs helped me out Razz tell me what you think too!

Last edited by Archmage_Bael on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Silver Willow

Within the colder regions of Felarya, the temperate, tundra, ice or snow regions the Silver Willow would be found as a tree to be particularly common among them. However, unlike most Felaryan trees, these Silver Willows are not that tall comparatively. They stand to be about 40 ft high on average, making them bush-like for the larger creatures. Silver Willow roots are aggressive by nature, and their roots grow very wide and fast to seek out moisture.

The tree itself is rather pliable, so the wood is rather useful for bows, brooms, chairs, dolls, flutes, various toys, paper, or even rope depending on which part of the tree is used, and how. Leaves contain useful properties for healing potions and salves that serve to accelerate the felarya's healing process. The leaves also emit an aroma that is rather uncomfortable for larger creatures in the immediate area - causing an irritable itching feeling. This makes the tree safer as homes for tinies that inhabit the colder regions.

The most amazing part of the tree though is it's appearance. It's completely silver leaves and wood make for a striking sight, while the flowers themselves, being both male and female (a dioecious tree) appear as catkins that develop depending on how much extra water and light the tree has. When the flowers open they refract the beautiful lights of the night sky similar to a prism thanks to the innate magical soil of Felarya.

Fur Tree

The fur tree has a thick trunk that grows to well over three hundred feet in height quite often, and with branches that reach low to the ground. Fur Trees grow pretty much everywhere on both mountains, cold regions, but not in jungles. The Green Hell variants of this tree are the only ones to grow immensely taller, and use the green flames as a necessary way for reproduction.

The tree's leaves are actually a unique type of a vegetal fiber that both looks and feels like soft animal fur, and is particularly effective at blocking the cold. In the colder regions, cave inhabitants may assist in the growing or planting of these Fur Trees, and harvest the fur for coats. The bark is rather rough though, making it tough to climb up. However, Nekos seem particularly attracted to these trees, happy for a naturally growing scratching post. Many are planted within Nekomura specifically for this purpose...

The trees reproduce via pods that grow at the base between where the fur clumps grow, and the branches. The pods come enclosed with dozens of hard seeds that can be planted, or used for any number of purposes as decoration, used in paint, or crushed and with potential to be made into various peppery toppings for food.

Last edited by Archmage_Bael on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 pm

OK, the silver willow seems like a nice idea. It's pretty, and pretty irritating- but I have no idea if there are any pheromones that discriminate by size. Could you try instead that these irritants waft up, and avoid the ground?

Just for the record, prisms diffract light into a rainbow, they don't reflect it.

Now as for the fur tree, I like it, takes vegetable fibers to a wholly new level. Kind of like cotton does Razz
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure about pheremones either. Or aroma, for that matter...but I'm not sure what would differentiate it, since its still something in the air that is just very irritant, or allergy producing Razz

I'll have to change it.

I actually consider the fur tree more of a joke tbh, but it seems a few people have expressed interest in it.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 pm

So here's another attempt at a different type of magic. This time its less of an ability and more of a TYPE. The source of magical energies usually come via manipulation of internal or external sources like Ley magic (external) and Innate magic (internal). However, this might be confusing, as to use this magic you need to learn a specific language and draw a diagram sort of like the ones seen in FMA. This does not make it "Rule-Based" magic, since that includes using incantations to manipulate energies, in this case we're using them to draw out and control another "spirit" or even the energy you normally would manipulate into casting the spell yourself - but instead having IT cast it FOR you. Possibly because you have no magical blood in your veins.

I am also unsure about spirits, and using them. Not so much though, I guess a "non corporeal form with a consciousness" may refer to anything, and since it's Felarya, mysteries are supposed to be abound everywhere. Using the word "spirit" shouldn't be too much of a problem I'd expect.

Anyway, read up and feel free to ask questions. If you haven't visited my thread since the 4th, I've put in a few more entries since I recommend reading.

----

Ceremonial Magic

Many of the types of magic can be defined by channeling some kind of force to do your bidding. Ceremonial magic is somewhat different. Instead of studying and practicing how to use a fireball either through your own power or channeling the power from someone else, Ceremonial Magic often demands having that other power do the casting for you instead. With enough exposure to these magics (and spirits), the innate abilities of people will actually increase. This is why people with poor a magical affinity will often favor this study.

Ceremonial Magic is often performed through a diagram and the knowledge of a special ancient language that oddly is unaffected by the Felarya-wide translation spell. This language supposedly draws power from Lydus itself, and contacts a spirit which is used to cast the spells for the caster. Not to be confused with a person's soul, but the spirit in question is usually a non-corporeal substance which contains a consciousness of it's own. Whether or not that includes anything corporeal such as a ghost, whether a human one or a genie's is uncertain.

Ceremonial Magic can also be used to transfer the innate ability of a spirit into a physical object, creating a Rune by channeling the mysterious force. Other applications also are common for the usage of conjurers, people who will draw complex diagrams to summon a creature to do your bidding. Diagrams are usually drawn in a large space, some times with candles or magical devices hung in proximity to increase effectiveness. Though one problem may be that not all spirits or summoned creatures may agree with your intentions, so this is why creating a rune to control the spirit is essential in many cases. These reasons are why this Magic is different from purely incantation and living magic.

The drawback is that since the language is non-translatable via the universal spell, memorization is required, in addition to keeping records of the specific syllables, and which effects they bring out. When combined with learning the specific patterns of the diagram they may go with, this type of magic requires a lot of study and memorization of it's own, in addition to knowledge of the spirits.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Well, Bael, here's what aee theenkee.

You could also describe this ceremonial magic as "One-time thaumaturgy, but with friendlier spirits". After all, you're requesting a boon out of a spirit, but unlike thaumaturgy, it won't give you magical powers... at first, you point out. You can start out with this kind of magic, and then expand to encompass others when you've gotten enough practice, or for some reason your powers have increased. It also doesn't seem like you'll be dealing with Ithaq-Shuagoth, the eyeless god of the pit, at least not right away.

Another thought I had- there's no need to make an exception for another language. Merely make the language of the spirits not entirely verbal, and have the words and syllables be only proper nouns (i.e. names), which are never translated (though they may be transliterated, but that's an entirely different can of worms). The candles and symbols could be the actual language, that'd work, I guess.

Other ideas... well, you could add in that this kind of magick doesn't work for fireballs, because everything in it takes time (initial offer- 1 minute. We got any takers? 1 minute at 1, 1 minute at 2, 1 minute at 3...). I'd also suggest... consider that there are some teensy spirits whom you can negotiate with for powers, which just happen to be greedy widdle silly buggers that aren't hard to please, just annoying. That could be an alternative to part of your current draft, where exposure to the spirits will increase your innate abilities. A third possibility for you to consider would be that... well, you could also point out, just for fun, that some spirits must be indirectly dealt with. For instance, to get a spirit of salmon to cooperate, you might want to first trap some spirits of barracuda, I dunno? Might be fun to make up different ceremonies with whatever motif you might like.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for the feedback!

You know I could also take out that it will increase your magic magic affinity, or not, depending on the spirit that's casting the magic, or not at all. As Thaumaturgy is similar hence "making a deal", there's a difference between doing something yourself, and having something done for you. I also imagine it'd be easier to find a spirit, as it doesn't require a succubus or an angel. In fact, I could go so far as to say succubi and angels are invalid for use, because you cant force a being like that to do your dirty work for you...but you could force a fish spirit to do something for you.

I will change that language thing, I thought that'd be a cool effect, a language that isn't translatable in felarya not because its magic, but because its words don't have translatable definitions, there aren't equal translatable words Razz but like I said - not important.

you could use this magic for making traps, too. find a cave in the forest, draw some runes, force a spirit to cast a spell where the rune is when an enemy walks over, etc.

edit: I wonder if we could also say that weird spells could be cast, because the spirits themselves are the ones doing the magic, so they'd know all the ins and outs? unlike a student or something.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Here's a little something to get the ball rolling again for my ideas.

Pieces of Heaven
Type: Legendary Artifact(s)

Legend speaks of a set of Artifacts that contain the magical energies of the angels themselves, and channels the power into one who is willing to wield the power. There are many theories and speculations that have arisen about it - such as needing to activate the artifact in some way, or just setting needing to touch it, and even what types of magic it boosts. It supposedly curses the mortal who uses it for payment of using such powerful magic. Curses include the negation of the very effects of Felarya - making the user immune to the effects of the regenerative properties and which will make them age and decay, as well as the ability to get sick. More drastic payments could be the total removal of one's magical abilities as well.

Many adventurers refer to the Pieces of Heaven as "The Sacred Dozen" Since the Pieces of Heaven come in twelve.Though it may be because there could be twelve rings of power among the Ceiciels, or twelve continents in Felarya, or there were twelve beings of power in ancient times. There may be no answer to the question.

However, some of these are true, some may not be - since this is speculation by adventurers throughout Felarya. Not only that, but the fact that nobody knows where these pieces are located also present a problem, and when combined with everything they hear about, it prevents most from seriously trying to find them. Talk about this topic in pubs and inns are usually just for sport or for a dream. No one knows they exist, and the ones who do, are the Guardians and the ones who guard it's safety to make sure it's as isolated from the world as Tedrek King himself...

----

This was just for fun really, to spark my creative juices. I'd love to hear people's opinions on it though. Personally I think it may be too powerful (but vague!), but that's why its isolated and impossible to obtain, right? :3
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Mhh yeah it does sound pretty powerful indeed, although the price to pay is interesting. it creates a dilemna ^^

For the ceremonial magic, what you have in mind is a long to perform ritual that is usable by people who are not necessarily magic users themselves right ? ( by long I mean not instant )
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 am

Right, it's not instant. I suppose its not too useful in combat unless you're the type to lay traps. However, you can do it before a battle and keep the connection until you run into a fight. You don't have to do that summoning thing in the midst of danger.

Likewise, I imagine this can also be used for enchanting as well.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 11:48 am

Jorsaura

Size: 63 female 70 male
Threat: Low
Locations: Any mountain range or area with significantly rocky environments in the desert or forest

The Jorsaura is a reptilian creature with two legs a strong tail, with a large strong upper body. It's hands are on the end of really long arms that it can use to balance, as well as grab things from far away - as if this creature is in the process of evolving from a four legged creature to a two legged one. It has slight intelligence, and knows it can pick up blunt objects like branches, but is not smart enough to start a fire. It's neck can stretch out quite a bit to reach objects that are high up on cliffs above it, but can still only stretch so far. It's head looks similar to a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but with a hard rounded head and lots of horns on it's body for defense, and small ridged crescent side-fin like protrusions on it's nape and chest that help to detect future climate change.

Creatures that attack it will be met with a really tough opponent that can charge and bulldoze with enough strength to knock kensha's away like bowling pins. It's ramming strength is so hard in fact, that it can actually slow down a Mumansi considerably (but not stop). It's major weakness lies in it's neck that stretches out to grab food. It often retracts it for battle, but it still remains the vital target for anyone trying to take it out. It does not repel magic like an insect though, so any creature like a Dryad, Naga, or even a Dridder would be wise to employ that, since it's hide is so incredibly tough. However, Dridders will often get into Melee with it. Despite being smaller than they, it presents a good challenge to them (and because Dridders are crazy Razz). However, as Jorsauras typically only focus on eating and sleeping, they don't attack anything that's not their food.

Much like other reptiles, when born the children all scatter, but only within a certain distance. Meaning if you see one Jorsaura, there's likely to be a lot more in the surrounding area. However they are extremely clustered into certain areas, and do not widely roam Felarya. When they mate, they use a specific mating call, and emit pheremones for the opposite sex. This is why most Jorsaura are usually found by themselves and not in packs.

Aside from it's bulky body and The fascinating thing about this creature though is it's tendency eat rocks and hard objects. It has a jaw with muscles that allow it to swing open several feet wide and teeth that look like boulders themselves. The Jorsaura will often stick around mountains, and rocky areas in deserts though - in both cases having acclimated surprisingly well. In both areas they usually eat rocks, including magical minerals as well. When it does so, it's stomach is melee-resistant, and near impossible to escape with sharp objects. It also functions like a gravity well, and the magic from the ores and minerals are channeled through it's body and further hardens it's hide. The last notable feature of the Jorsaura is it's excrements. With all the rocks that go into it's system, it releases waste in the forum of highly dense materials that can be used to craft really strong armor. It's meat is beautifully tender because of this, too. However it will eat literally anything that looks hard, like a rock, or is shiny. This includes adventurers wearing armor (attention dryads: this may or may not include wood). The best defense one would have against this creature would counter-intuitively be to turn around and try talking to it. Some have reported successful attempts at convincing the Jorsaura that they're not food, though it's widely believed to be a rumor - since it can't possibly be intelligent. Can it?

---

So there it is. Really really tough reptilian creature that's on the verge of their existential crisis. I went for the evolution - in - progress deal because I thought it'd be interesting. They are typically docile though, as they only really care about food, but since food can, in the off chance, be an armored human, a Dridder, or on the extremely rare circumstance a Dryad.

Tough meat as well, easily capable of defending itself, and it shits brix. and ores. I dont want to specify the kind of mineral/ore because that's probably dependant on what materials they ingest in the first place - nor do I want to go into depth about how their system manages this feat. Stranger things in Felarya have happened than a dinosaur the excretes iron/carbon/whatever. Hey, maybe it's not carbon based life? ooooOOOH... Hypothetically, non carbon based life is possible (scientifically viable - not provable in our RL atm though). Past that statement, its too academically tough for me to really debate, as it is not my field of study.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself here. Its a giant lizard that lives in solitude, possibly sapient, and its tough as nails, and craps them too.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 am

Here we go - I've been thinking about Fairy Religion lately, and the wiki just says its all disorganized and here I am to *clarify* why it's seen as such. When in reality...its not. As with all our perceptions of fairies it's not as it appears to be!

---

Fairy Religion

Theology

Fairy religion is rather complex and yet simple at the same time - originating from and promoting life as the basis and core of it, yet with it's diversities encouraged, explored, and celebrated constantly. There is no real name for Fairy Religion as it just "is" for them despite being so highly Druidic in nature. This concept can be confusing for many, and is why most people just refer to it as "Fairy Religion".

It is rather free of dogma and any fixed beliefs or practices. Fairies do not have sacred texts beyond that which is the development of of life, and the religion's history. However, it is very much a spiritual path, and belief in the spirits of life toward any sort of understanding from fairy to fairy can be different. Groups of Fairies understand deities (or commonly called "spirits" by them) in different ways, being that there may be one or several, or that they are the deities, or that they exist in various objects within nature. Some of them even avoid choosing one conception of Deity, since it is unknowable even to their minds.

The concepts of deity are each represented by head priests within their legendary "Temple of Nasara" which is so old, it is said to date back close to the creation of Felarya itself, situated in the Fairy Kingdom. It is a place legendary for its sheer beauty, and that if there ever were some great spirit, or anything or anyone life sprouted forth from, it'd be at the Temple's surrounding grounds. As a result, it is a very relaxing place for mos fairies, where they can both lose themselves, and find themselves again. The priests also live nearby to help anyone with their problems, or organize events.

Fairies all agree regardless of deity that no single one of them has the concept on truth, and will all gather together to celebrate among each other happily. Each one of them is part of the greater whole, each one unique in creation - diversity which is encouraged and understood as natural and healthy. This willingness to accept one another makes infighting among families and tribes exceedingly rare.

Needless to say, nature itself is extremely important for their religion.

Lydus and Life/Death

Lydus is a place aside from the reality of Felarya; a place that seems to be beyond the physical senses that connects every other world and universe together. It contains the place they go to when they die as well.
Likewise death itself is held to the belief that the soul undergoes a series of reincarnations. Thus when a fairy dies, fairies try to celebrate the soul going through a time of birth despite ceasing to live in her form with her friends and family. If one dies in Felarya, they are born again in Lydus, and dying in Lydus rebirths them in Felarya. Fairies are okay and accepting of the natural course of life because of this - including being eaten. This does not mean they like it happening to themselves, this means they accept it more readily than any other species. It also supports their view of life and their own thought process involving friends and food.

Aspects of Life

Diversity and Nature are key parts of life, but there exist for Fairies three main aspects of it that are recognized by all. These concepts are Wisdom, Creativity, and Love. Each contain virtues that are taught to be wise, creative, and loving. In addition, each of these concepts are always taught to young fairy children. This is maintained to be separate from their personality though. Warriors might favor Wisdom whereas a Scholar might favor Creativity, and Healers favor Love.

Overall, Fairies are seen often to have no real religion, because it appears they believe in everything under the sky at first glance - but all their beliefs tie in to the same principles, and they're widely common belief of spirits which inhabit one thing, or anything. Elementals are seen as embodiments of these spirits which have awakened.

---

I'd love to hear your thoughts. My ideas only seem to get passed over for some reason...

Druidism in real life is a bit different, actually. They do have "goals" which I edited to be aspects of life, and I tweaked life/death and theology a bit to fit felarya. Though since fairies are diverse anyway, a lot of it felt really natural. Pantheists, Deists, Taoism, a lot of beliefs can fit them, but none of them seem to include the "right touch" that Druidism has - which is the inclusion of diversity, and the support of a variable of beliefs. The belief in the number of spirits/gods all seem to be minor compared to the importance of life and it's very nature, and how it's viewed.

Though I did cut out rituals and sacrifices. I think there's a few other pieces to Druidism I'm missing as well, but this isn't an exact replica. It's fairies. (Didn't they believe in fairies too? Might explain a few things I'd say...)

The likely hood I'm missing something is high though - I typed this up at 1:30 AM. Sleep

Last edited by Archmage_Bael on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 3:26 pm

I honestly like this idea. I've never really thought about Fairy Religion before, but since they are a major species with a major kingdom, it would make sense that they do. I also like how you have it be something that's so open to interpretation. Fairy nature, even in Felarya, is normally chaotic and they enjoy diversity, so it is the perfect religion for them. Honestly, I see very few problems with it and I am all for it.

Now, as Dark said you might want to explain a bit more as to what a Fairy might expect to find in Lydus. Even if you say that Lydus is different for each Fairy, depending on how they view Lydus. In which case you should try to add in some kind of example or general description that can cover most of the bases.

Next, afterlife punishment. Now, I know that this religion is open to the interpretation of the individual Fairy, and that what could be considered right for one is wrong for another, but that still leaves room for a type of Fairy Hell of some sort. I am curious to know what would happen to a Fairy that manages to turn his/her back on what they believe in, or totally fail to uphold their beliefs.

Other then that, I don't see anything to critique. :3

Last edited by Darth_Nergal on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Sigurd
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Sigurd

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Its a good idea from the sound of it, but there is only one small problem that I've seen so far. You said healers might favor love... well love is an emotional connection to someone and would strive you to heal a person MORE than you normally would. A wise warrior also isn't an oxymoron. A wise warrior tends to keep his head on his neck far longer than a stupid warrior. And a Scholar is able to be creative. So those were rather bad examples. I do like the idea of the temple and the fact that fairies are free to have their own god or to have none. Aside from that, I don't know what to say. I really do like this idea and I do think that it should be made canon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next