Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas

Go down 
+29
Gamma
jedi-explorer
Grave
DarkOne
Sigurd
Darth_Nergal
asaenvolk
Stabs
Ilceren
Gabriel115
Nyaha
parameciumkid
keroko
FalconJudge
TheArchvile
Sehoolighan
Black Aquila
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
MrNobody13
Oldman40k2003
Slimetoad
Jasconius
Pendragon
Feadraug
Warrior3000
Karbo
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Well, I'm working on a new idea as I type this, but for now I'm going to post a rewrite of an older idea that's been sort of neglected lately. This is partly AJ's idea too, he's helped me on this quite a bit. Last time we both did some brain storming though it was kind of late, but without further ado...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I've cleaned up and added a few things to both the top two ideas, including a bit on clothing, which I'm still working on. (AJ, get on messenger.) The last idea is more or less a copy paste, but it's there to help complete the region - and also so it can be in the same thread, as opposed to last time I posted it. I'll fix it up soon though.

The new idea will be a surprise though. It should be pretty amazing, if I pull it off right.
Back to top Go down
TheArchvile
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TheArchvile

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 5:16 am

I haven't read the original, but this looks really solid.
Very original concepts, they fit Felarya perfectly I'd say... I'm already getting ideas for stories Smile
I personally would add a little introduction paragraph to the Lydronians before jumping into the descriptions right away, unless you want these ideas to be read together in a single page... Indeed, there are a few things that confuse me as to if this is one idea or two. (One for the Location and one for the People)
Also, you mention that the humans and nagas set aside their differences, but it would feel a bit more complete if there was a (brief) mention of what relations were like before.
So yeah, great idea(s)! A tiny bit of polish and you're all set!
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 12:42 pm

I think you did a very nice job here ! Smile
The ideas are definitely a lot clearer and better written and the whole concept is really interesting. Great work ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks~

I kind of feel like the history between nagas and humans are basically just a rocky relationship, and nothing too spectacular. I could write something up though. The ideas themselves are three parts of one region that connect to other parts of Felarya to make it seem more fleshed out. I decided not to put in an introduction because its supposed to be just a description, and they're mentioned in the previously posted idea. Adding in an intro shouldn't be too difficult though.

Lydronite

Lydronite is formed when magically dense and highly pressurized land come into contact with flaming heat such as lava sink into Eidoron - rich landscapes. The heat it comes in contact with it, often causes the newly formed resource to turn the veins darker, and is far less electrifying. It holds similar properties to Eidoron, but is more rare than the famously unmovable stone to almost an extreme extent. Coming across a deposit is rare, but cherished. The reason is that Lydronite is movable, but maintains levitation based on the amount of weight it supports along with how much Lydronite is used with the material as well.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Here's a couple. I have two more on the way.

Dreamstone Canyons

This region is situated to the south, following the coast on the edge of the Dridder Forest. The trees in the distance stay consistently dense, but change from one type of tree into another the closer it gets to the Mountain in the distance. This mountain is actually a Composite Volcano, with the spout lopsided to the back. This causes the lava to flow down one side of the volcano only. The trees of the region react to fire positively, along with some of the other plants.

However, the trees don't always burn. Another native form of life to the area are crystals, which seem to grow on certain patches of ground, and trees. These crystals are part of the reason for the name, albeit a deception to the actual material. similar to the Ascarlin Gems, these crystals have a translucent teal-blue appearance with red veins running through them. The difference is that upon closer observation these crystals are most certainly not ascarlin. The red veins seem to meet near the top where a single spout is located, and a tiny hole that emits a form of gas. The gas seems to carry the materials needed for reproduction - attaching to areas with dense magic, or a rich concentration of life. The crystals grow bigger and bigger with the Lava that runs through the region, resulting in large patches of enormous crystals growing off of trees and even the the volcano itself, which has a gigantic lattice-like crystal growth off the one side, with paths that funnel the lava into slowly deepening Canyons below.

As the years have gone by, these canyons have gotten deeper and deeper, to the point where springs of water and pocketed caves in the ground have been revealed, making waterfalls that fall into the lava streams, cooling it off and producing a lot of steam rising during the periodic eruptions.

Some creatures in the area have adapted to the Crystal's tendency to latch onto living creatures, forming exotic sights like the Crystal Tiger, and the Lava Turtle.
A group of lava elementals also live in the vicinity as well, and take great care of the forests.

The Dreamstone cavern has been misnamed by a group of adventurers who managed to make it there and back a long time ago, taking some of the crystals with them thinking they would be rich, and the sights of the canyons. Despite the Volcano and the canyons, this region is still covered mostly in forestation.

Violet Ravine

This is a ravine within the Dreamstone Canyons. It is the main ravine that the lava runs through from the volcano. Aside from the volcano itself, this ravine has the largest crystal formations in the area. Multiple caves and waterfalls litter both sides of it, especially closer to the bottom, where lava is constantly flowing despite the absence of eruptions. The crystals reflect the lava, and the teal-blue mixes with the red glow to refract violet light rays throughout this canyon. Some of the light rays even saturate the water, giving it a pinkish coloration.

It is rumored that somewhere within this Ravine elementals live, and they try to make it difficult for people they deem unworthy to come down and visit...
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Two more in the relative area. I seem to be making it a habit of brainstorming regions south of Negav, instead of north.

Bay of Shadows

The bay of Shadows is the coastline near the ruins of Supprozad, and stretches southward in a concave stretch. The land curves around and keeps going, guiding the landmass of the more southern edges of the continent far outward.

The bay is appropriately named due to the clarity of water it houses. It is so clear, that people looking straight down into the waters, can see a fish that's swimming hundreds of feet below! This makes for awkward illusions though, shadows from the fish seem to form on the oceans surface, implying a form of light that shines upward from somewhere further down.

Fish that look small down below though shouldn't be persued, as it is not entirely clear how far down they are, and in reality those fish can be quite huge...

It is rumored though, that the light source comes from reefs and plant life down below that reflect light back through the water, and also filter it to some extent, helping it maintain the clarity seen from above, though these theories are only speculative. Getting to the bottom would be dangerous even for a mermaid.

Carrier Fish
Threat: low

This is an enormous fish that resides within deep waters, but particularly concentrated within the Bay of Shadows. It is truly massive in size, and can span hundreds of feet long! However, both the size and horns that stick out of the fins and it's head only serve as intimidation. It's actually quite docile, preferring to feed on much smaller ocean dwelling creatures and plants, much like a whale. On the chance that it is attacked, it usually counter attacks with just enough ferocity to drive it's enemies off, rarely kiling. The reason why it's called a carrier fish though, is the tendency for smaller fish to swim up right next to it for protection, making it look like a carrier.

Last edited by Archmage_Bael on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 5:50 am

I must say I'm really impressed how you improved your descriptions of ideas over the time Smile
They are much more detailed and you convey your point nicely, such as for the bay of shadow for example.
And I'm really liking your new version of the Shatterock Caldera. It's original and creative, such as those Shatterrock Airships, and would fit in well. And in the same time it's in a location that is not too developed yet ^^
Nice job !
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks! Yeah I'm getting better (thank goodness).

Between the Shatterock Caldera, Abyssal Forest, and connecting with the Dreamstone Canyons, and Bay of Shadows, It's a dangerous area, and I kinda want to develop the south a bit more. We keep going north XD
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Oh, I was thinking about making a new type of Chlaena for the Bay of Shadows, since its on the same side/coastline of the Topazial Sea, where Chlaenas reside. Any thoughts?

Maybe some cross between a Glass Chlaena, and one that may make use of the shadows that appear all over the ocean?

edit: I was also thinking about the "trees" - the normal ones seen in all the felarya drawings. what kind of trees are those? they look tall like a sequoia, but wide, like an oak tree. So I'm a bit confused there.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:30 pm

The Script

The script is a language found in temples and ruins in Felarya, in structures built by the elves, and others not. It has a different name, but over time, people who knew of this language started just referring to it as "the script" and it is now known more by this name than its official one.

The Script is a language that uses symbols in an attempt to reflect the beauty of the nature surrounding it, and is some times referenced in ancient elven structures, even with rough translations. It goes far back, but there's no certainty about who made it, so far its just theories. It can be used in a certain way as writing on a rune or glyph or enchantment of sorts to produce various effects, but since it also looks pretty, many people will buy things that have The Script written out on it for a purely decorational fashion. Nowadays The Script is used widely, and the old times where only a few people knew it are gone, now a lot more people know how to read it. As time went on, roles switched, and now The Script is also used as a way to translate Ancient Elven, ironically.

Dashera Tree

The Dashera Tree is commonly seen throughout Felarya, and is one of the most populous of the existing trees currently growing in the world. When it's younger, the branches of the Dashera Tree remain pliable until it starts growing seeds. Once seeds start growing, they remain on the tree itself, leeching nutrients from it even as they sprout. After they sprout and start growing, the weight from the saplings will weigh the branches down, and eventually they will harden, causing the branches of these trees to have their rather horizontally growing look to them.

When it's time for the tree to grow these saplings, the tree has usually already reached two-thirds of it's maximum height. Regardless of it's magnificent height, these saplings are seen throughout the whole tree, and it has a very fascinating look to it.

The saplings grow for quite some time, and the roots sprout from the bottom, hanging down and hardening early one, forming a point used for injecting itself into the ground later on when the sapling finally falls to the ground and off it's parent tree. Once the sapling punctures the ground, it will grow from the top far more quickly as it takes in nutrients and moisture from the soil underneath, and finally, it grows it's second set of roots out of the side of the seed. Sometimes when the sapling doesn't fully puncture the soil, and the roots will still grow from the sides, causing a gap to be seen under the tree itself, often used as a hiding place for animals and smaller creatures to hide from predators.

The leaves of the trees stay green 'all year around' taking in light and magic essence that the tree sucks in. At some point in the leaf's "life" it will change color to represent the amount of magic essence it takes in, and the light it absorbs, and falls to the ground. These colored leaves are able to be taken by alchemists, ground and used as ingredients for any wide range of applications.

Last edited by Archmage_Bael on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Well, the idea for what those runes everywhere are is far overdue, I think. However, I don't think it's a good idea to say that the Dashera Trees are the most populous plants in Felarya. Pretty cool, but I think that might be a bit much.
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Whoops, forgot to reply ^^;

Well, they're supposed to be one of the most popular, at least I would think. Trees would normally make it to saplings, unless there are some other predators or herbivores of some kind that feed on the saplings. That could be an idea, eh?

If you have any name ideas for the script I'm all ears. Everything I came up with just sounded stupid. It's not elven, so I didn't want it to have that sort of name.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 9:54 pm

This next idea is just something I had a little fun with it. I'm not entirely serious with it but whatever.

Efelesite
Alloy/unknown?
Legendary

This is a legendary material, brought up with rumors during the height of Ur-Sagol's reign, and the books that talk about it usually have something to do with smithing and alchemy, and are almost always books with knowledge of the highest calibur. No body knows whether any objects out of this material has ever been crafted, but the story says that this material can freely manipulate the weight and density properties of the object it's bonded too. The minerals and ore needed to smith it, or the fact that it's mentioned in alchemy books too, presents a difficult challenge with locating the possible ingredients for it, as they could potentially be any number and combination of materials.

Theories suggest that it requires a knowledge of Felarya's very nature in order craft it, which houses dangerous problems for anyone willing to pursue knowledge on how to craft it...
Back to top Go down
keroko
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Whoops, forgot to reply ^^;

Well, they're supposed to be one of the most popular, at least I would think. Trees would normally make it to saplings, unless there are some other predators or herbivores of some kind that feed on the saplings. That could be an idea, eh?

If you have any name ideas for the script I'm all ears. Everything I came up with just sounded stupid. It's not elven, so I didn't want it to have that sort of name.

Maybe reword it to just "one of the more common?" It would give other authors enough room to work on their own ideas while still getting the general point across.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Yes, of course. That's why I said "The Dashera Tree is commonly seen throughout Felarya, and is one of the most populous". It's very common, but one of many common. Though I wonder, since the trees we see in Felarya pictures look the same for the most part Razz
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

Those are nice ideas ^^
The Dashera one is especially intriguing I think. But I don't visualize the process of the saplings growing though... are they growing upside down ? and if so how do they root ?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks. I'll fix it then, how's this?

Dashera Tree

The Dashera Tree is commonly seen throughout Felarya, and is one of the most populous of the existing trees currently growing in the world. When it's younger, the branches of the Dashera Tree remain pliable until it starts growing seeds. Once seeds start growing, they remain on the tree itself, leeching nutrients from it even as they sprout. After they sprout and start growing, the weight from the saplings will weigh the branches down, and eventually they will harden, causing the branches of these trees to have their rather horizontally growing look to them.

When it's time for the tree to grow these saplings, the tree has usually already reached two-thirds of it's maximum height. Regardless of it's magnificent height, these saplings are seen throughout the whole tree, and it has a very fascinating look to it.

The saplings grow for quite some time, and the roots sprout from the bottom. The sapling's seed grows much in the same fashion as apples, and may point in an awkward direction, but to ensure they land correctly, the seed is very bottom-heavy. The roots grow off the bottom in a cone like shape, hardening early on to form a point used for puncturing through the ground later on when the sapling finally falls off it's parent tree. The ground near a Dasher tree should always be soft to ensure successful planting. Once the sapling punctures the ground, it will grow from the top far more quickly as it takes in nutrients and moisture from the soil underneath, and finally, it grows it's second set of roots out of the side of the seed. Sometimes when the sapling doesn't fully puncture the soil, and the roots will still grow from the sides, causing a gap to be seen under the tree itself, often used as a hiding place for animals and smaller creatures to hide from predators.

The leaves of the trees stay green 'all year around' taking in light and magic essence that the tree sucks in. At some point in the leaf's "life" it will change color to represent the amount of magic essence it takes in, and the light it absorbs, and falls to the ground. These colored leaves are able to be taken by alchemists, ground and used as ingredients for any wide range of applications.

----------

There, edited. Basically the saplings grow like an apple, and may point in whatever direction, but to fix this problem, the seed is bottom-heavy, so when it falls, the sapling's bottom always points down to the ground and punctures the soil.

I imagine the "stem" to be taken by the sapling and used as the beginning for the tree itself, or it just falls off without the stem, and the seed still opens up to grow the stem out of it just like normal.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Ooh, I like the idea. I think the Dashera tree is quite dashing.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 7:43 pm

So if a Dashera's saplings don't fall off it, they'll live on it parasitically, so that over time it becomes this big skyscraper-like tower of trees layered upon one another over the generations? Or perhaps a reef-like structure?
If so this could explain some of the appearance of the Chidokai Forest.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I think that would only occur if the tree is big enough, the sapling in question is close to the top, so when it falls it doesn't hit ground, but a part of the tree, digs into the tree, and then grows on top of it. It could work, in theory, but it'd be hard. The chances are unlikely. Unlikely, but there nonetheless.

edit: I missed what you first said about it not falling off. If it didn't fall off, it'd probably be somewhat hard for the tree to gather the right amount of nutrients, or at some point the stem just acts like a bridge and both trees count as one single tree and they evolve to compensate in some way. Of course, the taller the tree, the more sun it gets too...
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 12:19 pm

it's more easy to visualize i think Smile

I like the idea of the sapling growing on the "mother" tree then falling off and implanting themselves to the spot , a bit like a fruit. But I still don't get what you mean by the seed of the sapling being bottom heavy ? I mean it's not the seed that fall off but the sapling itself right ?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes, that's pretty much it ^^

The idea behind it being "bottom heavy" is that since the seed is heavier on the bottom, when it falls off the tree, no matter what side it's pointed in, the seed will fall with the bottom pinned in the ground, that way the tree wont grow upside down or something. At least that's what I was intending.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Shadowleaf

Zones: Bulvon Wood, Chidokai Forest, Miragia Forest, Lakeland, Various places in the Fairy Kingdom, Grove of Carnivorous Plants

The Shadowleaf is a plant that looks like a pod sticking straight up from the ground without any other leaves nearby. It takes the shape of a large closed gourd, and can reaching up to a whopping ten feet tall. The area around the gourd is always fertile grass, and apparently empty. Adventurers my prefer to pass near one, because the wide meadow it creates offers an open area away from other dangerous plants.

However, the roots of the Shadow leaf are more wide spread, and not as deep, which even pop back up above ground subtly in a few locations, disguising itself as a regular growing bush. These bushes only grow to be three feet tall at the max, and can number anywhere between three and ten. The bushes act as nodes, similar to the flowers that dryads use to spy on people. Though, unlike the Dryad nodes, the Shadowleaf nodes act as an effective extension, and casting a wider than normal shadow around it's base. This is the key, and the reason why Shadowleaves are so dangerous. The shadow near each of the nodes reaches out when the particles on the bush's leaves detect a nearby living presence. The shadow node will signal the other nodes, including the central pod, and the ground will subtly and quickly darken the tiny meadow it inhabits. Indeed, this plant uses shadow magic to catch it's prey, making the grass sticky as the shadow latches on to any organic being within it's radius.

When caught, the shadow magic controlled by the pod will lift up it's prey slightly, and move them over to it, and there it will open up at the top to insert the helpless into it's digestive system. This plant is more effective at night for obvious reasons, and the pod is a major weakness, acting like the brain, and speculations have even suggested that this plant is actually self aware.

Gigglebug

Size: 4-10 ft
Danger: Varies
Zones: Forest of Whispers, Chidokai Wood, Bulvon Forest, Dridder Forest, Misty Glade, Vicinity of the Giant Tree

A giggle bug is an insect similar in appearance to appearance to a large beetle. They range from four to ten feet, and have six legs, and an armored head at the front of it's body. Gigglebugs have a tendency to attach themselves to trees with four tentacles that are retracted against it's gut, that can latch onto anything. Their shell is often the same color as the tree they hide on, making themselves appear more like a tumor than an actual creature.

They are pack animals, travelling in groups of tens, but never numbering more than twenty. They often wait for an adventurer, or a group of adventurers to pass through their territory before they communicate with their famous giggle. The problem with this, is that the giggle often sounds like the giggle of a fairy, or any other woman, and it echoes throughout their immediate area. When hearing the giggle noise, it sounds a malevolent noise from all directions, leaving it very difficult to know which direction they are coming from. This often aids in the already creepy factor of hearing a giggle echo throughout the woods. Some say the giggle noise has psionic attributes, as even the most hardened adventurers can go crazy by excessive exposure to this noise.

Once in the right position, the giggle bug will scuttle to the top of the branch, then drop down upon their prey, with their tentacles wrapping around their prey, attaching to them while the maw on their belly slowly eats them. The tentacles are covered in a substance as hard as cement, making it nigh impossible to escape, unless you have someone near you who can kill the bug.

Vinemaw

Zones: Grove of Carnivorous plants, various jungles

Vinemaws are plants that grow many vines, snaking through multiple trees, often with a rugged and sharp presentation to it. They grow unchecked where they are habituated, and when something brushes up alongside it, the vine naturally coils inward in an attempt to trap the prey, cut into them, and lift them back toward the center of where the plant is growing from. Usually the mouth of this plant is on the ground, but when against a tree, it looks like a large green bag that wraps around the trunk. The prey receives a brutal treatment as it is devoured into the creature's maw, where all the vines sprout from.

Pepper Yellow

Zones: Crimson wood, Green Hell, Jungle of Perils

Pepper Yellow is so named because of the fruit the plant bears. The plant itself looks like an elephant ear plant, but bigger. When mature, these plants can reach up to twelve feet tall, and the leaves are often huge, bearing it's fruit on the underside of the leaf with spores on top. The plant feeds primarily off sunlight and humidity, not having the tendency to feed on even the smallest bugs that walk across it. The fruit looks like a gourd with spiky triangular 'wings' that fan upward along the body of the fruit. This is confusing because the fruit hangs upside down with the wings going upward. To eat the fruit, the wings must be peeled off before getting to the white juicy meat. It smells and tastes a lot like Mango, but grows much bigger and sweeter.

Last edited by Archmage_Bael on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:51 pm

I don't like the shadowleaf very much myself; the idea if a plant purposely, almost sentiently, using magic to eat it's prey comes off a bit sour for me. Also, it seems like something that would fit in the Grove of Carnivorous plants, yet you neglected to mention the area in it's location.

I like the gigglebugs, the idea of something that sounds like the laughter of a group of fairies strikes me as a very nice idea. ^.^ The only weird thing is the stomach maw, but that might just be me.

The vinemaw sounds rather generic to me, but it's not badly done and not necessarily a bad idea either.

Quote :
the wings must be peeled off before getting to the white juicy meat.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't fruits generally called fruits mainly because they aren't made of meat? D: Besides this, the idea doesn't seem to have any particular use, to be honest, not that I can see anyway.

Well, there you go. ^.^ I hope I did good for you.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks. I added the Grove of Carnivorous plants as an idea. Keep in mind, with the wiki down, I don't have a list of areas, so I had to do it all from memory. I was sitting around counting my fingers XD

Well, I like the idea of having plant that's self-aware. It's not intelligent though. Plus, the shadow magic makes things creepy.

Speaking of creepy, I was trying to make the gigglebug come off as such.

As for fruit, the white of the apple is the same thing as the meat of the fruit, that's what it's called. Pulp is mashed up fruit, and its the chunky stuff you get in orange juice. Believe it or not, but "meat" is technically correct here. Thanks for your imput!

Also, fruit is fruit, and there is a section on the wiki for fruits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next