Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snail girls

Go down 
+12
Jasconius
Asuroth
AisuKaiko
Warrior3000
Reptillian
Pendragon
Karbo
Feadraug
Shady Knight
rcs619
Anime-Junkie
Slimetoad
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:20 am

Because i've checked the whole thread and i'm shocked no one thought on this.

Rarer than their slug-like cousins, Snail Girls can be recognized by their gargantuan spiraled shells, which houses most of their vital organs and serves as an efficient shelter if they feel threatened. However this massive defense comes at the expense of speed, and Snail Girls are for the most part even slower and lazier than Slug Girls. Indeed, a Snail Girl spends most of her time sleeping within her shell and staying in place, only really moving if the situation calls for it or -more often- they exhaust the food around them

Save for a couple exceptions, Snail Girls are herbivorous and very friendly towards smaller races, even allowing them to take refuge in their shells when needed. The shells often get encrusted with growing vegetation and random debris, leading Snail Girls to be very good at camouflaging, almost indistinguishable from the surrounding enviromnent until they move around.

Last edited by Slimetoad on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:51 am

This is good!

I find nothing wrong with it at all. It could use more fleshing out, but as a base concept this is great.

(I'd help with that right now but I'm tired and not able to think at 100%).
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:04 am

Seriously, how comes we have slug girls but no snails? Snails ARE the first thing most people think on when you mention gastropods!

Fleshing out, hmm....I could see them being far more distributed on Felarya that Slug Girls, since having a portable home lets you last longer in places that aren't as humid as you'd like

Their mucus could have an extra trait, and that is that it could harden and become tougher to break once enough exposure to air has passed. It helps sealing their shell opening from the outside, it could be handy as a weapon or some other trick.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:56 am

Slimetoad wrote:
Seriously, how comes we have slug girls but no snails? Snails ARE the first thing most people think on when you mention gastropods!

Fleshing out, hmm....I could see them being far more distributed on Felarya that Slug Girls, since having a portable home lets you last longer in places that aren't as humid as you'd like

Their mucus could have an extra trait, and that is that it could harden and become tougher to break once enough exposure to air has passed. It helps sealing their shell opening from the outside, it could be handy as a weapon or some other trick.

To be fair, Zoekin DID propose snail-people in one story, but honestly, it was kind of a one-shot deal, wasn't fleshed out that well, or as interesting as this version. I second AnimeJunkie's approval of this idea.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 am

I third it.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 10:03 am

I fourth it... wait, let me check the spelling... yes, it's fourth. Razz

I like the concept. True, we have slugs, but not snails, and good play of the strength-weakness part with the extremely hard shell and their extremely slow pace. Works for balance.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 10:24 am

Wow, didn't expect this to be popular. Thanks guys

I'm also thinking that Snail Girls, being friendlier, would provide a good defense if they ally themselves with some towns or villages. Not only would be too big and armored and awfully slimy for many predators, but the villagers could hide under their shells and turn them into makeshift, living fortresses in rought times. Or turn the whole shell in a castle if her owner is dead.

Newborns, however, not only would be considerably tiny in comparison with an adult, but their young shells would be soft and completely useless as protection. So i'm guessing Snail children would hide underground for some time, or use their temporary infant speed to some advantage, or simply take a living with other small races until she's hardy and big enough to defend herself

Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 1:20 am

Funny, look at what I was sketching just a few days ago XD

Snail girls Oapaaaacc
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 1:27 am

Karbo wrote:
Funny, look at what I was sketching just a few days ago XD
Coincidence? Shocked

Anyway, this looks very good. though I think the shell should be a bit higher so it doesn't drag on the ground.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 2:01 am

Wow. It really had to happen sooner or later huh Laughing

Looks pretty good, but yeah, the shell needs to be a little higher. Or at least reduce the edges.

I think there could be a species based on Rosy Wolf Snails. A bunch of cannibals that follow the slime trails of other snails and slugs and either slurps them out of their shells or swallow them whole if they're small enough. Even their own kind
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 3:42 am

All very good ideas. I fifth it.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 5:19 am

Talk about a coincidence. Laughing And I agree: the shell should be a bit higher, like in real-life snails:

Snail girls Caracol

Never heard of Rosy Wolf snails, but if it helps to give some variety to this species and it's pretty well explained, that would be as great as what I've already seen. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 5:29 am

according to what i know of snails it looks like the one on Karbos sketch is simply relaxing in the area under the shell. snails tend to have a very thick body under their shell.

EDIT: oh and i.... what number did we get to again??? screw it, i also agree to the idea^^
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 5:38 am

Niow we're at it, at this rate there could be sea snail and sea slug girls. Those would be really fun and would be VASTLY more colorful and spectacular than their land counterparts.

Heck, some species are known to eat jellyfish tendrils and adapt their stinging cells to their own bodies. Look up Glaucus atlanticus or "sea lizards"
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:30 am

Slimetoad wrote:
Niow we're at it, at this rate there could be sea snail and sea slug girls. Those would be really fun and would be VASTLY more colorful and spectacular than their land counterparts.

Heck, some species are known to eat jellyfish tendrils and adapt their stinging cells to their own bodies. Look up Glaucus atlanticus or "sea lizards"

Yep. I think someone did propose Sea Slug girls a while back, but I don't think the idea ever really got too far.

As for sea snails, yeah, lots of options there. Is the...I think its called the cone shelll, a sea snail or a muscle? That ulta-venemous thing that stabs its prey with a poisonous tendril and then swallows it whole. I think its over by Australai...but then again, most venemous things are =P

@ Karbo: Well, truly this is a sign from on high O: Snail-girls cannot be denied now. Their brand of ultra-slow cuteness shall slowly creep its way across the community...very slowly. So slow you may not even realize it until it is too late. lol
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:35 am

Maybe there would be small Snail Girls in the mandatory Absurdly Spacious Sewers. :p
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:43 am

rcs619 wrote:
Yep. I think someone did propose Sea Slug girls a while back, but I don't think the idea ever really got too far.

As for sea snails, yeah, lots of options there. Is the...I think its called the cone shelll, a sea snail or a muscle? That ulta-venemous thing that stabs its prey with a poisonous tendril and then swallows it whole. I think its over by Australai...but then again, most venemous things are =P

@ Karbo: Well, truly this is a sign from on high O: Snail-girls cannot be denied now. Their brand of ultra-slow cuteness shall slowly creep its way across the community...very slowly. So slow you may not even realize it until it is too late. lol

Yep, the cone snails. And they have MULTIPLE venomous harpoons at that!

If you're a farmer, thought, it would be really sucky meeting up with snail girls, even if they're not going to harm you. Imagine walking out one day to see lots of small ones having a breakfast with your crops.

Or worse, a giant one eating it all in one gulp!
Back to top Go down
Warrior3000
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Warrior3000

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:58 am

Sup, I'll just leave this here;

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://w-3-k.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 9:09 am

FLATTERED I AM.

On the subject of sea snails, there also could be Cliones

Snail girls Clione1

Shell-less little creatures that swim in the cold seas around Japan. Look angelic enough until they see their favoured prey, sea butterflies (another form of swimming sea snail)

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/f/clione.png/

..at which point they spaz out and go flesh-ripping Cthulhu tentacles
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 9:13 am

Slimetoad wrote:
rcs619 wrote:

Yep, the cone snails. And they have MULTIPLE venomous harpoons at that!

If you're a farmer, thought, it would be really sucky meeting up with snail girls, even if they're not going to harm you. Imagine walking out one day to see lots of small ones having a breakfast with your crops.

Or worse, a giant one eating it all in one gulp!

Snail-girl, the bane of fairy gardeners everywhere.

Fairy: *The fairy wipes her brow, after spending nearly a week carefully cultivating her massive garden with her magic*
Snail-girl: *A Snail-girl leisurely creeps by" "NOMNOMNOM"
Fairy: D:

Although, I imagine it is not unreasonable for fairies to try and recruit them to clear out areas heavily grown in by Fey-weed or other dangerous plants.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 9:22 am

Or, some could also cultivate plants on top of their shells. That way they have a portable salad wherever they go, and could make business by selling them
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 9:47 am

Here's some ideas:

• Snail girls are disliked by many nature affinity predators (Like nature faeries), because they eat their plants and gardens.
  • Bloom dryads tend to be wary because snail girls might not realise that what they're munching on isn't exactly a plant.

• Snail Girls eat all sorts of plants, including fey weed. For this reason many faeries like having then around to keep the fey weed down.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 9:57 am

- Snail girls are more common to spot in rainy seasons, but as soon as the temperature rises, they seal themselves shut in their shells and enter a state of deep sleep until conditions are more favourable. This is not always a good tactic, for some predators may exploit this inactivity and find ways to crack the shell.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 10:27 am

Slimetoad wrote:
- Snail girls are more common to spot in rainy seasons, but as soon as the temperature rises, they seal themselves shut in their shells and enter a state of deep sleep until conditions are more favourable. This is not always a good tactic, for some predators may exploit this inactivity and find ways to crack the shell.
Felarya doesn't really have defined seasons due to the nature of the world.
I think the most is slight yearly variations in weather, like the rainy and dry seasons in the tropics. (The dry season isn't that much dryer).
So snail girls would be active year round cheers
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 10:37 am

Ah...nevermind then ^^;

Since they would be hermaphroditic, i can see Slug/Snail girls mating just like their animal counterparts, as in two individuals joining in elaborate "dances" as they impregnate each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSW9kWIRCOQ

It would probably be as pretty as it is awkward to see
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snail girls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snail girls   Snail girls Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snail girls
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next