Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Male characters

Go down 
+17
beefy
nightgolem
S-Guy
TheQuantumMechanic
gwadahunter2222
vegeta002
rcs619
bigman27622
Zoekin
Rythmear
Cypress
Raetsu Lord Pichu
Pendragon
/Fish/
Shady Knight
Raveolution
Karbo
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Male characters - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 8:52 am

Quote :
Yeah you're right but it costs nothing to insert a male characters.

In clear there is no reason to refuse male characters because it won't change anything, I quote some example but developp a male characters it's always depend on the choice of the writer.

If you don't have reason to input male character if your story it will be only your choice but even if you can quote as example biological facts to emphasize your opinion, it's not a reason to restrict or void the existence of male character or limit the interaction male and female to only predator and prey, or sexual needs.

A point which has absolutely nothing to do with the point you previously tried to make.

Last night you tried to argue that you SHOULD include male characters because it gets ridiculous otherwise. Now you're just arguing that there's no reason not to include them.
And while there really isn't any reason not to include them, it's by no means an obligation.

Quote :
And another point the men and women don't share the same opinion about the same thing. In clear a male and female can do the same thing but not in the same way Wink

I don't buy into that whole "women are one way, men are another" garbage.

Yes, men and women have different instincts and usually have different hormonal levels which dictate attitude, but when you get right down to it, a lot of men act like women and a lot of women act like men. You can have an exceedingly masculine woman, an exceedingly feminine man, or various combinations.

When you get right down to it, the only rock solid, unchangeable difference between men and women is that women can give birth and men can piss standing up. Anything else varies from individual to individual.

And I stress once again, all-female or mostly-female races have been found in sci-fi and fantasy for decades. And no, they most assuredly are NOT all childishly written, fetishistic fantasies.

In Reign of Fire, the dragons are almost exclusively female, with one male born for every million, who fertilizes eggs en masse.

In The Rygama series, we have the Xynn, who are exclusively female - except during mating season, where a portion of them will temporarily become male in order to mate.

In the Animorphs series, there's the Helmacrons, which are almost entirely female, but keep tabs on the location of males so they can reproduce.

In the real world we have the whiptail lizard, which are all female and reproduce aesexualy.

In ant colonies, nearly all the ants are female, while the males are simply a few individuals who lounge around and mate all day.

Various fish and amphibians will switch gender if they can't find a suitable mate.

There's nothing unrealistic about Felarya being female-dominated. So long as there's a pseudo-scientific explaination for how dominantly female races reproduce, there's no problem.

Felarya was created as a female-dominated place. Sure, we could do with some more male predators to keep everything reasonable, but there realy is no way to make the gender ratio even remotely close to normal without totally reworking countless universal mechanics.

And at any rate, there's never been a shortage of non-predator males. It's never seemed like anything more or less than there being more female predators than males, while all the other species had normal gender ratios.

And being that it's likely that most part-human Felaryan predator species are related, it makes perfect sense for any gender-ratio shared by one to be reflected in the others.
Back to top Go down
GodTiger
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 9:21 am

Never thought it like that way... it does make sense...

umm.... I'm i allow to make a main male character though? he's not completely main but i'm not sure :\
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 9:26 am

GodTiger wrote:
Never thought it like that way... it does make sense...

umm.... I'm i allow to make a main male character though? he's not completely main but i'm not sure :\

I'd expect so. I have a Male giant Naga, and noone complained.
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 9:26 am

GREGOLE wrote:

A point which has absolutely nothing to do with the point you previously tried to make.

Last night you tried to argue that you SHOULD include male characters because it gets ridiculous otherwise. Now you're just arguing that there's no reason not to include them.
And while there really isn't any reason not to include them, it's by no means an obligation.
You always forget I have difficulty to explain myself in english Very Happy

So I can do mistake and say something different and when I notice I try to change it.

Between last night and today there is your answer, I think about your words and my words I take a step back I say this point.

I admit you're right about some point, so I'd jsut say it won't change nothing at all but however in long term in Felarya if there are an important numbers female characters and for a little minority of male character it may look unbalanced.

It's ridiculous when you justify yourself like now by quoting fiction or real example of living creature in spite of a little details there are half humans. It's true they can use their animal counterpart to reproduce but you can not deny there is a possibility there are males characters.

So a males characters in world there is mostly female have a strong story potential without to end in the classical stereotypes of the haremish situation or the classical macho men overwhelmed with testoteronne.

So if you want only females characters in your story it's your choice you don't have to justify yourself about that because you are ridiculous.

If you want to have the last word I give it to you after all you are always right cheers
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
GodTiger
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 9:44 am

Quote :
I'd expect so. I have a Male giant Naga, and noone complained.

Very Happy I'm relieved! x3... Now i can full embody my three characters...(Two females and one male ^^!)
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 10:07 am

Quote :

Quote :
It's ridiculous when you justify yourself like now by quoting fiction or real example of living creature in spite of a little details there are half humans. It's true they can use their animal counterpart to reproduce but you can not deny there is a possibility there are males characters.

...... If I wasn't semiconscious, I would be flying into an outraged fury right about now.

No one ever said you weren't allowed to make male characters. Hell, nearly every example I listed there included males to an extent. Karbo himself even said there were male characters, but they were a minority.

It's perfectly logical for male Felaryan superpredators to be a minority. That's ALL I'm trying to say.

And I'm not just using fictional examples to justify my point, I'm using real life examples AND fictional examples which are based on the afformentioned real life examples.

And it's most certainly NOT ridiculous to quote real life examples towards part-humans, being that the keyword there is "part" humans. That already means their biologiy is considerably unlike that of normal humans.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 10:55 am

Sorry, gwada... I'm going to have to back GREGOLE on this one.

You just aren't considering several factors, or misinterpreting what they mean, in relation to the ratio of males to females in Felarya.

Every fictional and real-world example GREGOLE provided is valid, for precisely the reason you think it doesn't apply. A creature that is part-Human is ONLY part Human. Attempting to consider them fully human for biological or psychological purposes is far more ridiculous than using the creatures they are based on as a predictive guide for their social behavior or aspects of their biological gender.

A Naga is not Human. The end. It doesn't matter what kind of argument you want to make regarding any similarities between Nagas and Humans, because no argument is going to change that simple fact that they are not the same thing. Attempting to project Human social behaviors in their entirety upon a creature that is not Human is both pointless and ridiculous. Might a Naga behave in manners very similar to a Human? Yes, definitely. Are they going to do so for the same reasons, or think about their behavior in the same way a Human would? Definitely not... unless we're talking about a Naga like Anna, who actually WAS Human. And even then, it's been made clear that her mentality has changed somewhat, due to instincts and behaviors she simply did not have before.

This plays a huge role in the gender debate as well; it does NOT require suspension of disbelief to accept that male Nagas are rare, nor does it for males of other Giant Predator species. It is extremely unlikely that males of ALL species are as rare on Felarya... but I don't recall anyone ever saying they were. There could be a whole host of cultural and biological issues contributing to why male Giant Predators are rarely seen on Felarya (aside from the reason we all know applies); GREGOLE did an excellent job of providing you with a number of them.

Again, "male nagas are extremely rare" is not the same thing as "male nagas can not exist"; GREGOLE was not justifying why there weren't any at all, he was justifying why there weren't many, in a valid and logical manner.

Also, the "harem situation" and "classical macho man" examples you cited are far from the only usage of biological male rarity among a species... and far from the best usage, for that matter. Check out "Y: The Last Man" sometime; for Yorrick Brown, being the last living Man on Earth is far from the picnic you would like to think it is. To think that those are the only ways that this trope can possibly be used is rather shortsighted. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
GodTiger
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 am

So i'll study the animals or mythical habits and stuff :\ to make the characters more realistic etc etc...

But i doubt they're rarely seen they just hunt in different parties, seperate from the females etc etc... not really in parties but who knows... Felarya is a huge place...

One important question How long does each race live in Felarya? I haven't found an answer to that... Are the males taller and physically more strong or the vice versa? @.@ there seems to be gaps in explaination of the Lifeline of each species... to be honest
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 11:21 am

GodTiger wrote:
One important question How long does each race live in Felarya? I haven't found an answer to that... Are the males taller and physically more strong or the vice versa? @.@ there seems to be gaps in explaination of the Lifeline of each species... to be honest

Felarya apparently extends their life, but I don't think it was ever said by how long (maybe indefinatly). Size and physical strength would depend on the individual, since there are so few male characters it would be hard to figure out which gender is more likely to be bigger (if either is bigger on average).
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 11:33 am

The soil stops ageing; every species has a natural lifespan, but as long as they stay on Felarya, they have the potential of living until something kills them. Death due to old age just isn't a concern for most Felaryan creatures.
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 11:38 am

TheQuantumMechanic wrote:
The soil stops ageing; every species has a natural lifespan, but as long as they stay on Felarya, they have the potential of living until something kills them. Death due to old age just isn't a concern for most Felaryan creatures.

Unless trapped on another world. Their so used to an ageless life, it would be funny to see how they handle aging.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 11:54 am

@TheQuantumMechanic I know and I agree about what you did but it is not a reason to not developp male characters or they are not in the spotlight after all they are rare so their personality can vary from a male to another.

I know the naga are not humans, I know all of the examples previously quoted. I know the sexual reproduction doesn't only involve a male and a female. I have considered all the factors.

But the only question I ask it's a male predator can be an interesting characters without to be limited to the sexual needs Question Does the fact they are rare justify the fact they are not shown or to exclude them from the world of Felarya Question

Something can be rare whatever you want but it's never said it doesn't exist or play an important role.

I don't mean he created an harem of female or be an action man, but the point of view of a male character who is not necessary a humans or prey can be interested. There is no necessity he is involved into vore but his point of view on the female on his race and other female predator offers a great potential. Here we have the view of someone who are not a female character or a prey but the fact males are rare he gives the feeling he is out of place. The females look at him as a sexual object or canon fodder when a danger arise. They give more attention to their prey than him. He is not the center of the universe no he is just trying to exist in a world where he is insingnificant.

I see many fictions stories where they explain why there are one male or the female is a pure specie. The fictions are in general very good but when it's only use to do only fan service for the male audience. I don't deny I don't like that but there is few where the male is not shown as a pervert or a pretentious seductor or he ends as a the center of the universe. But just listen his own view

The ridiculous comes when someone outside asks you why there are few or no male characters in Felarya, and you tries to explain by quoting science or other fictions you will explain the gender ratio.

If the person knows that or didn't care about that but just asking you why there are no male characters or even if they are rare but it doesn't forbid they appears as normal characters as the female characters.

The ratio here is not an issue but the characters themselves.

If there is 50% of male characters or female characters and you say the males are rare or they reproduce in different ways than humans, it's not the issue.

The points are valid in a thread about gender ratio, but here we are talking about the idea of male characters. The fact they are rare doesn't explain they don't exist as character of Felarya.
Back to top Go down
GodTiger
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 12:00 pm

gwadahunter2222 is right :\...

My Character isn't macho or anything he's simple a character in the world, that's that so i kinda want to know why there only 1 main male character in the whole series (Not including Nazzus because... idk we don't see him he's only a studier of magic, species and stuff)

:\ nothing been completely explain yet
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 12:41 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
But the only question I ask it's a male predator can be an interesting characters without to be limited to the sexual needs Question

And again, I'll have to answer your question with one of my own: "Who said that male predators can not be interesting characters, or are only limited to fulfilling the reproductive requirements of the species?" I know I never said that, and GREGOLE did not say it in his earlier posts.

My opinion on the matter has not changed since long before this conversation even began:

Male characters can be interesting, and can play roles in stories that are completely unrelated to their gender roles in society or nature.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Does the fact they are rare justify the fact they are not shown or to exclude them from the world of Felarya Question

Does the fact that they are rare justify the fact that they are not shown often? Absolutely. If you think it doesn't, then you need to consider what the word "rare" means. Laughing

Does the fact that they are rare justify excluding them from the world of Felarya altogether? Absolutely not. But then, I still don't see where anyone is advocating doing so; considering that the first post made in this thread was Karbo reversing his stance on the matter and saying that he was going to develop some of his male characters further, I still can not see what point it is that you're trying to make. help

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Something can be rare whatever you want but it's never said it doesn't exist or play an important role.

I agree with that statement; however, you seem to be the only one who thinks that's what "Male Predators are rare" means. scratch

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
I don't mean he created an harem of female or be an action man, but the point of view of a male character who is not necessary a humans or prey can be interested. There is no necessity he is involved into vore but his point of view on the female on his race and other female predator offers a great potential. Here we have the view of someone who are not a female character or a prey but the fact males are rare he gives the feeling he is out of place. The females look at him as a sexual object or canon fodder when a danger arise. They give more attention to their prey than him. He is not the center of the universe no he is just trying to exist in a world where he is insingnificant.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what it is you're saying here. confused Sad

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
I see many fictions stories where they explain why there are one male or the female is a pure specie. The fictions are in general very good but when it's only use to do only fan service for the male audience. I don't deny I don't like that but there is few where the male is not shown as a pervert or a pretentious seductor or he ends as a the center of the universe. But just listen his own view

I have read and watched several where that is not the case, actually; one of the most notable examples (which I provided you) was "Y: The Last Man", which shows that anyone who thinks it would be fun being the last man alive on Earth is an idiot. Laughing

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
The ridiculous comes when someone outside asks you why there are few or no male characters in Felarya, and you tries to explain by quoting science or other fictions you will explain the gender ratio.

Again, it is not ridiculous, even if you think it is. There are two different (actually, several more than two, but it's convenient to limit them to two for now) factors determining why male characters rarely appear in Felarya; The Out of Context explanation, and the In Context explanation. The Out of Context explanation is simply that, until recently, Karbo had a policy of not wanting to see many male predators. He acknowledged that they existed, they just didn't show up or get mentioned often. That has changed, but male characters still haven't become widespread yet for the simple fact that people haven't made many of them. If you want to do something about that, start making male characters!

The In Context explanation is the reason within the fictional world of Felarya why males of a given species are rarely seen; for this purpose, ANY of the examples GREGOLE provided are valid reasons. Again, it doesn't matter if you think they're ridiculous excuses- the fact remains that they are valid reasons which explain skewed male-to-female ratios among species that have been observed and demonstratably been proven true in our own world. Is every one of them as likely as any other for a given species? No, because each species is different; the reason Male Nagas aren't seen very often is not likely to be the same as the reason Male Dridders aren't seen very often.

There are hundreds of possible In Context reasons why Male Predators aren't common; pick one that works for you and use it. NONE of them prevent you from establishing a male predator as an interesting character in a story set in Felarya, unless that reason is something along the lines of "Male <whatever> are all extinct". So far, I haven't seen anyone seriously suggesting that, so there is nothing preventing you from creating a male predator.

So, my question to you is, "Why are you complaining about a lack of male predator characters, instead of creating male predator characters?" lol!

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
If the person knows that or didn't care about that but just asking you why there are no male characters or even if they are rare but it doesn't forbid they appears as normal characters as the female characters.

The ratio here is not an issue but the characters themselves.

If there is 50% of male characters or female characters and you say the males are rare or they reproduce in different ways than humans, it's not the issue.

Again, I have to disagree. The ratio IS an issue that affects what you're talking about; if male naga make up 5% of the entire population of Naga on Felarya... you just aren't going to see many male naga characters in the average story about Felarya. End of story; no matter how much more you'd like to complicate the matter, it really is just as simple as that.

Now, if you're talking about a story in Felarya that specifically involves a male Naga character, then you are going to see a much higher rate of appearances by a male naga... because the story is focusing on one of them. This is also very simple, regardless of how much more one tries to make it.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
The points are valid in a thread about gender ratio, but here we are talking about the idea of male characters. The fact they are rare doesn't explain they don't exist as character of Felarya.

*points higher up in response* Nobody said "they don't exist as characters of Felarya". And I provided the reasons that you don't see many male Felaryan characters, as well as a solution. What people do with that is up to them. Smile
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 pm

GodTiger wrote:

My Character isn't macho or anything he's simple a character in the world, that's that so i kinda want to know why there only 1 main male character in the whole series (Not including Nazzus because... idk we don't see him he's only a studier of magic, species and stuff)

See... I really have no idea what it is you guys are going on about. confused Are you reading a different thread than the one I am, or something? scratch

I really can't answer your question, "i kinda want to know why there only 1 main male character in the whole series (Not including Nazzus because... idk we don't see him he's only a studier of magic, species and stuff)", because you didn't provide any context.

What 1 main male character? What whole series? Nazzus?

If you're asking me why there's only 1 main male character in your series, then I have to point out that you're the only one who can answer that question... since it hinges on a decision you made.

If you're talking about a series someone else wrote, then you need to ask that person, since they're the one who made the decision not to add more male characters.

If you're talking about Felarya, then I'd have to ask you what one main male character you think is the only one who exists, since I can think of at least five off the top of my head who have played major roles in Felarya.

From where I stand, everything has been explained, we just keep going around and around the explanation for some reason. No
Back to top Go down
GodTiger
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 1:00 pm

Sorry if i was being inconvicent in my explaination...

The male Fairy in Karbo Wiki i was talking about, but i did forget the three humans(The rogue and two commanders.... not mentioning the Guardin)

:\ Do you think Karbo would take in Male characters or I'm i just saying stupid things? I was actually thinking of giving him one of my Male characters (I only have one) But it seems like a self-centrered and stupid thing to say or think...

I do tend to say inconvicent things sorry... I was just thinking something and forgot to explain the rest... :\

but wait.... if the Race never dies unless killed... how come the world of Felarya isn't over filled?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 1:14 pm

From where I stand, everything has been explained, we just keep going around and around the explanation for some reason. No

You don't understand the gender ratio doesn't affect the sex on a character and restricted him to a race.

If you decide to create a new character for your story instead always doing a female predator why not a male predator for change Very Happy

The gender ratio won't change anything, in clear you can have a in a Felarya story there are 10 males characters (males or predators) and only 5 females predators. It won't be a question of gender ratio.

Does the gender ratio is the main reason to restrict the roles of the males characters in a story Question

At the scale of the world of Felarya the male can be rare but it's not reason they don't exist as character.

As I see when I read the many quote about fiction or biological fact it may explain the global ratio of Felarya. But the character and the ratio are two things different. You can have in a same place 20 boys and 20 girls but it won't change there are in general more female than male or the male are rare.

Quote :
So, my question to you is, "Why are you complaining about a lack of male predator characters, instead of creating male predator characters?"
It's in project Very Happy

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GodTiger
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 1:36 pm

GodTiger wrote:

See... I really have no idea what it is you guys are going on about. confused Are you reading a different thread than the one I am, or something? scratch

I really can't answer your question, "i kinda want to know why there only 1 main male character in the whole series (Not including Nazzus because... idk we don't see him he's only a studier of magic, species and stuff)", because you didn't provide any context.

What 1 main male character? What whole series? Nazzus?

If you're asking me why there's only 1 main male character in your series, then I have to point out that you're the only one who can answer that question... since it hinges on a decision you made.

If you're talking about a series someone else wrote, then you need to ask that person, since they're the one who made the decision not to add more male characters.

If you're talking about Felarya, then I'd have to ask you what one main male character you think is the only one who exists, since I can think of at least five off the top of my head who have played major roles in Felarya.

also... I was just pointing out that Not all male characters were put into one stereo type when i said that... Rolling Eyes but then again like i said i was thinking something but didn't put it clearly enough
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 5:15 pm

GodTiger wrote:

The male Fairy in Karbo Wiki i was talking about, but i did forget the three humans(The rogue and two commanders.... not mentioning the Guardin)

King Trazix, Alvar, Alestor, Wallace, Alcazath, Quaz, Trejal, and Agnashrak are all male characters mentioned in the wiki. While not all of them have been fleshed out as characters, they have played significant roles in events on Felarya (and even other planes, in Agnashrak's case).

GodTiger wrote:
:\ Do you think Karbo would take in Male characters or I'm i just saying stupid things? I was actually thinking of giving him one of my Male characters (I only have one) But it seems like a self-centrered and stupid thing to say or think...

Karbo wrote:
When I am taking a step back and looking at what is Felarya now, I think this is a bit ridiculous at how one sided it has become gender-wise ^^;
Sure females giant hybrids where meant to be more numerous from the start ( partly because of the fact I really dislike male vore ) but not to this point.
So expect more male hybrids to make their appearance in the universe and existing ones to be more developped soon Smile

Alestor and Alvar comes to mind, but also King Trazix, a blacksmith, a mage of sort and so ^^

First post in this thread.

Karbo wrote:
Cypress wrote:
perhaps i can expand on the male char i made awhile back?

yes sure ^__^

Thirteenth post in this thread. Somehow, I think Karbo might be okay with such things, but I don't know... maybe I'm somehow totally misunderstanding what he clearly said. Razz

*poke poke* It wouldn't be the first time someone has has done that in this thread.

GodTiger wrote:
I do tend to say inconvicent things sorry... I was just thinking something and forgot to explain the rest... :\

but wait.... if the Race never dies unless killed... how come the world of Felarya isn't over filled?

Because the race dies when killed. Do you have any idea what the mortality rate on Felarya is? I assure you, it far exceeds the birth rate, even for giant predator species.

The reason Felarya isn't overfilled is because 1) It's more or less infinite in size, and 2) There's something waiting around every turn to eat you, and something waiting to eat it, and something to eat it, etc. Every day, Felarya probably sees hundreds of new arrivals... and several hundred 'departures'. Smile

GodTiger wrote:
also... I was just pointing out that Not all male characters were put into one stereo type when i said that... Rolling Eyes but then again like i said i was thinking something but didn't put it clearly enough

Again, pointing out such a thing is only neccessary if someone is saying that all male characters only fit into one or two stereotypes as a reason for not having any around. Nobody was saying such a thing, unless it was significantly earlier in the thread, so...

Obviously, fitting all male characters into one or two particular gender-based stereotypes is artificial and stupid, just as it would if the only types of female characters were "hormonal and crazy" and "calculating and vicious". It's generic and unimaginative, and so far, such a thing hasn't been portrayed very often in Felarya; most of the characters I've seen have a lot of depth to their personalities, and the ones who are exceptions to that are typically obvious parodies or exaggerated for effect.

Among those Felaryan male characters I listed, there is a very wide range of personalities, and the only one who even might fall into the "macho guy overflowing with testosterone" category is Agnashrak... who is really just some run-of-the-mill schlub who got famous because he was in the right place at the right time, and took credit for someone else's deeds (Menyssan, who didn't care). Now, he has an artificially acquired reputation as a badass that he probably has a great deal of difficulty living up to, so for him, the 'macho' thing is probably an act that he thinks everyone expects. Laughing

Seriously, anyone who doesn't think there are interesting male characters in Felarya, just isn't looking or isn't paying attention. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 6:12 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
You don't understand the gender ratio doesn't affect the sex on a character and restricted him to a race.

... Wow. I think I understand that point a little better than you do, if you actually believe I said or implied that at any time? lol!

My exact words on the matter were:

Quote :
There are hundreds of possible In Context reasons why Male Predators aren't common; pick one that works for you and use it. NONE of them prevent you from establishing a male predator as an interesting character in a story set in Felarya, unless that reason is something along the lines of "Male <whatever> are all extinct". So far, I haven't seen anyone seriously suggesting that, so there is nothing preventing you from creating a male predator.

This means:

1) There are plausible reasons to explain the scarcity of male predators in the context of stories set within Felarya.
2) There is no reason that prevents male characters at all in the context of stories set within Felarya, unless they are from a species that only has one biological gender, switches biological gender only for the purpose of mating, etc.

That is it; anything else that you think I said or am not understanding, is caused by you misunderstanding of what I actually said. Smile

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
If you decide to create a new character for your story instead always doing a female predator why not a male predator for change Very Happy

Simply put, if I envision a character as being female when I begin creating it, she will be female. If I envision the character as male, it will be male. If the character is from a species with only one biological gender, and I envision it as being male, "he" will probably display and act in a male gender (societal, not biological) role. The majority of my characters in Felaryan stories will probably be female, for the simple fact that the number of females among predator species is greater than the number of males, according to Karbo himself (this hasn't changed, even with his reversing his previous stance)!

However, it will be very rare to not see any male characters at all in any of my stories; you might not see any within a particular chapter or two, but it is definitely not going to be as though they cease to exist when nobody is looking or talking at them. I'm not fond of stuff like that. Razz They will definitely have a presence and an effect on the events of the story that are felt, even when they're not around.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
The gender ratio won't change anything, in clear you can have a in a Felarya story there are 10 males characters (males or predators) and only 5 females predators. It won't be a question of gender ratio.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong about this point, or just not understanding what I have been saying. If only five percent of all Dridders on Felarya are male, and you have a story with 10 male Dridder characters and 5 female Dridder characters, that in no way alters or contra-indicates the global balance of male Dridders to female Dridders.

Your story is simply focusing on one of the places in Felarya that has an unusually high concentration of male Dridders compared to other places (where there might not be any male Dridders at all!). A low global population of male Dridders in no way prevents the existence of a place where they are more common than usual, the way you seem to think it does.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Does the gender ratio is the main reason to restrict the roles of the males characters in a story Question

Restrict the roles? No, not at all. Limit their appearances? Possibly, yes. And that can be used as a storytelling device (trope) by a writer; what happens when people who have never seen a male Naga, or only heard rumors about them... actually encounter one? In that case, the 'rarity' of males may actually play a role in the character's background or personality.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
At the scale of the world of Felarya the male can be rare but it's not reason they don't exist as character.

Again, the reason they "don't exist as characters" (which I don't agree with) is because people are not writing stories with male characters. When that changes, we will see better representation of them. Until then, it's no use making more out of it than it is; if someone has the effort to argue about it, they can write about it instead and make a freaking male character! Laughing

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
As I see when I read the many quote about fiction or biological fact it may explain the global ratio of Felarya. But the character and the ratio are two things different. You can have in a same place 20 boys and 20 girls but it won't change there are in general more female than male or the male are rare.

They are the same thing; or to be more accurate, two different angles of the same shape. Yes, you can have 20 boys and 20 girls in one place, even if only 1% of the population is male; however, due to the imbalanced gender ratio, that will not occur very often in nature. In the entire world, is there likely to be at least ONE village where the number of boys is equal or greater to the number of girls? Yes, there is; due to sheer probability, if nothing else.

However, it is more likely that if that occurs, and even more likely if it occurs frequently, that there is some underlying/non-natural cause behind it. People moving all the males they find of their species to a specific location, something in the water in that one area that makes giving birth to males more common than the natural ratio, etc.

Having a large number of males in one place at one time is not impossible, no matter how rare males are within a particular species; but if it is drastically counter to the normal ratio of male to female, there will always be some reason behind it.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Quote :
So, my question to you is, "Why are you complaining about a lack of male predator characters, instead of creating male predator characters?"
It's in project Very Happy

Good man. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GodTiger
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 12:13 am

Quote :
GodTiger wrote:

King Trazix, Alvar, Alestor, Wallace, Alcazath, Quaz, Trejal, and Agnashrak are all male characters mentioned in the wiki. While not all of them have been fleshed out as characters, they have played significant roles in events on Felarya (and even other planes, in Agnashrak's case).

I understand ^^; But i haven't seen any stories of them or would you know where i could find them?

GodTiger wrote:

Karbo wrote:
When I am taking a step back and looking at what is Felarya now, I think this is a bit ridiculous at how one sided it has become gender-wise ^^;
Sure females giant hybrids where meant to be more numerous from the start ( partly because of the fact I really dislike male vore ) but not to this point.
So expect more male hybrids to make their appearance in the universe and existing ones to be more developped soon Smile

Alestor and Alvar comes to mind, but also King Trazix, a blacksmith, a mage of sort and so ^^

First post in this thread.

Karbo wrote:
Cypress wrote:
perhaps i can expand on the male char i made awhile back?

yes sure ^__^

Thirteenth post in this thread. Somehow, I think Karbo might be okay with such things, but I don't know... maybe I'm somehow totally misunderstanding what he clearly said. Razz

*poke poke* It wouldn't be the first time someone has has done that in this thread.

Cool... :\ I didn't see that when i passed through here:Arrow: well at lest i've didn't do/say something... stupid.

GodTiger wrote:

Because the race dies when killed. Do you have any idea what the mortality rate on Felarya is? I assure you, it far exceeds the birth rate, even for giant predator species.

The reason Felarya isn't overfilled is because 1) It's more or less infinite in size, and 2) There's something waiting around every turn to eat you, and something waiting to eat it, and something to eat it, etc. Every day, Felarya probably sees hundreds of new arrivals... and several hundred 'departures'. Smile

Yeah... So Race kill each other as well? Giant Nagas being killed by Dribbers and sometimes their own species?

GodTiger wrote:

Again, pointing out such a thing is only neccessary if someone is saying that all male characters only fit into one or two stereotypes as a reason for not having any around. Nobody was saying such a thing, unless it was significantly earlier in the thread, so...

Obviously, fitting all male characters into one or two particular gender-based stereotypes is artificial and stupid, just as it would if the only types of female characters were "hormonal and crazy" and "calculating and vicious". It's generic and unimaginative, and so far, such a thing hasn't been portrayed very often in Felarya; most of the characters I've seen have a lot of depth to their personalities, and the ones who are exceptions to that are typically obvious parodies or exaggerated for effect.

Among those Felaryan male characters I listed, there is a very wide range of personalities, and the only one who even might fall into the "macho guy overflowing with testosterone" category is Agnashrak... who is really just some run-of-the-mill schlub who got famous because he was in the right place at the right time, and took credit for someone else's deeds (Menyssan, who didn't care). Now, he has an artificially acquired reputation as a badass that he probably has a great deal of difficulty living up to, so for him, the 'macho' thing is probably an act that he thinks everyone expects. Laughing

Seriously, anyone who doesn't think there are interesting male characters in Felarya, just isn't looking or isn't paying attention. Rolling Eyes[/quote][quote]

NOt that i haven't say there wasn't... I simple just don't see stories of them or i simple need to find them... Alvar is the fairy guy isn't he?

Interesting characters are interesting but more if you actaully have time to read/watch them and understand more.

But as a N00b idk where they are and i can say things are completely out of range
Back to top Go down
GodTiger
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 12:14 am

I screwed my post D;
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 6:32 am

GodTiger wrote:
I understand ^^; But i haven't seen any stories of them or would you know where i could find them?

There aren't many (or possibly any) at the moment, but each of these characters has played significant roles in the background story/history of Felarya, or affected the stories of other characters.

And I'm assuming that they will receive stories of their own and further development, due to this:

Karbo wrote:

GodTiger wrote:
Cool... :\ I didn't see that when i passed through here:Arrow: well at lest i've didn't do/say something... stupid.

It might help to read the first post in a thread before jumping into it, but that's just as suggestion.

GodTiger wrote:
Yeah... So Race kill each other as well? Giant Nagas being killed by Dribbers and sometimes their own species?

All the time. Well, Nagas probably don't kill one another as often as, say, Dridders kill each other... but Giant Predators are definitely a threat to one another, and probably one of the leading causes of death of other Giant Predators on Felarya.

GodTiger wrote:
NOt that i haven't say there wasn't... I simple just don't see stories of them or i simple need to find them... Alvar is the fairy guy isn't he?

Yes, Alvar is "the fairy guy" you are thinking of. Smile The reason you don't see stories about them is because people haven't started writing them yet, not because male characters don't exist. Once people start writing more stories involving the male characters of Felarya, they'll see much better representation.

GodTiger wrote:
Interesting characters are interesting but more if you actaully have time to read/watch them and understand more.

I'll have to disagree; an interesting character does not magically stop being interesting or become less interesting just because you don't have time to pick up and read a book that they are in. Rolling Eyes And it's the same for characters in any other medium.

There are basically two options to resolve this lack of interesting male characters that people are complaining about:

1) They can wait patiently, and read the stories that people will eventually write that contain or focus on male characters, or
2) They can stop complaining about it and do something about it instead. This means writing your own stories, either about a preexisting male character (I already provided several) in Felarya, or your own creations.

Or, you know, they can just keep complaining about it instead, but that isn't actually going to resolve anything. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 6:41 am

Since I can't keep up with all those long paragraphs, I'll just say what I think straight to the point. I don't mind having more male characters. In fact, I agree Felarya needs more male predators, as right now, it's a reversed sausage fest.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 7:52 am

I will explain my view on the gender ratio in Felarya.

For example the global gender ratio of Felaryan hybrids predator may be 70% are female and 30% are male.

From the view on the race by example the fairies the gender ratio may be 50% for both males and females, so they look numerous but at the Felarya global' scale they are maybe 5% or less of the global ratio of males in Felarya.

To be simple some 100% females races can use the same system of breeding as many animals or races you can see in other fictions, mating with the male of the other specie it's the case from the harpies and succubis.

It's true a male are rare in the global scale of Felarya, so if in your stories you focuse on the interactions between the different species so it's true they will look rare. But if you focuse on a society or for example a fairy's town they won't look so rare.

So the existence of male felaryan giant hybrids it's possible but at the scale of a vast world like Felarya they are in low number. You can have in the same area a population of 1000 males and 100 000 females. 1 mal per 100 females, it's clear they are very rare Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Male characters
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next