Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Male characters

Go down 
+17
beefy
nightgolem
S-Guy
TheQuantumMechanic
gwadahunter2222
vegeta002
rcs619
bigman27622
Zoekin
Rythmear
Cypress
Raetsu Lord Pichu
Pendragon
/Fish/
Shady Knight
Raveolution
Karbo
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
GodTiger
Helpless prey

Male characters - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 7:58 am

I'm actaully starting to read Rin's Story and they're male characters as much as female and I love the story the realisim..

I'm still use to this but when i have time I'm writting a Three character (maybe two) of my characters and their lives to make much more of an idea of these characters... Razz kinda stupid but i like the idea.

XD I'm not going to complain anymore i was just trying to get things straight XD or understand... whatever you want to call it. >.<
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:32 am

Speaking of male characters, I have an RP set up but no-one is taking part. Has anyone noticed it?
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:43 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
I will explain my view on the gender ratio in Felarya.

For example the global gender ratio of Felaryan hybrids predator may be 70% are female and 30% are male.

From the view on the race by example the fairies the gender ratio may be 50% for both males and females, so they look numerous but at the Felarya global' scale they are maybe 5% or less of the global ratio of males in Felarya.

To be simple some 100% females races can use the same system of breeding as many animals or races you can see in other fictions, mating with the male of the other specie it's the case from the harpies and succubis.

It's true a male are rare in the global scale of Felarya, so if in your stories you focuse on the interactions between the different species so it's true they will look rare. But if you focuse on a society or for example a fairy's town they won't look so rare.

So the existence of male felaryan giant hybrids it's possible but at the scale of a vast world like Felarya they are in low number. You can have in the same area a population of 1000 males and 100 000 females. 1 mal per 100 females, it's clear they are very rare Laughing

Unfortunately, that is just not how population ratios work either mathematically or in the real world.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
But if you focuse on a society or for example a fairy's town they won't look so rare.

Incorrect. If you focus on the average fairy town, chosen at random among all fairy settlements that exist on Felarya, you can expect to see a 1:1 gender ratio (assuming your example of the gender ratio among fairies being 50%, if that percentage changes, so does the expected ratio of the average fairy town).

This does not mean that there will not be any fairy towns in Felarya that have a drastically different ratio of males to females. What it means is that the towns that have such drastically different ratios are exceptions, rather than average cases. They do not occur due to natural causes; invariably, there are always some other factors responsible (migration of males from another town, an environmental factor in that area that makes males more likely to be born, etc.).

In that case, if you focus on the average fairy town, the number of male fairies will either be equal to, slightly more than, or slightly less than the number of female fairies; a 50% gender ratio does not mean that the number of males to females is equal, just that every time a child is born, the chances of it being male is equal to the chances of it being female. While this might seem to mean the same thing, it is not the same thing at all from a factual standpoint.
Back to top Go down
http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 am

TheQuantumMechanic wrote:
Incorrect. If you focus on the average fairy town, chosen at random among all fairy settlements that exist on Felarya, you can expect to see a 1:1 gender ratio (assuming your example of the gender ratio among fairies being 50%, if that percentage changes, so does the expected ratio of the average fairy town).

This does not mean that there will not be any fairy towns in Felarya that have a drastically different ratio of males to females. What it means is that the towns that have such drastically different ratios are exceptions, rather than average cases. They do not occur due to natural causes; invariably, there are always some other factors responsible (migration of males from another town, an environmental factor in that area that makes males more likely to be born, etc.).

In that case, if you focus on the average fairy town, the number of male fairies will either be equal to, slightly more than, or slightly less than the number of female fairies; a 50% gender ratio does not mean that the number of males to females is equal, just that every time a child is born, the chances of it being male is equal to the chances of it being female. While this might seem to mean the same thing, it is not the same thing at all from a factual standpoint.

First I know all of this.

It was just a pure random example. I know in general the gender ratio is not homogenous and vary depending many factors. The fact it may be the gender of male can be 50% will depend from the view, if we focuse on a particular place,tribe, society and culture.

What I mean, the gender ratio varies depending the race,the place and all possible factors you know and everyone may know. In Felarya it tends more in the advantage the females, so we will always have 100% female race, and never 100% of male. The best case would be 99% of males even that they were still rare.

If we sum up the different mass of all males of the different species you may have an important number of males but next to they will still be rare next to the vast mass of females predators. In a wide scale the males are rare and it's difficult to develop a male characters in a context where they don't weight a lot.

But if we focuse on a tribe, a society,a culture or a precise context, the developpment of a male characters is possible. Contrary to female characters who can have some vague or mysterious explanation about their role, a male character you have a necessity to define a particuliar domain or context. By example Endimion is a blacksimth lava elemental, Alvar a blind swordman fairy and knows Crisis since she was a young naga, Ashgnarak is Menyssan's lord, Mezzus a powerful mage who lives with fairies, after you developp the character himself.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:30 am

Alright.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
But if we focuse on a tribe, a society,a culture or a precise context, the developpment of a male characters is possible. Contrary to female characters who can have some vague or mysterious explanation about their role, a male character you have a necessity to define a particuliar domain or context.

I disagree with this somewhat, but not completely. You can have a vague or mysterious explanation for a male character's role just as you would for a female character's role. Functionally, there's little difference between them. It does help greatly to establish a context, though; if for no reason other than it makes it easier for people to relate to that character.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
By example Endimion is a blacksimth lava elemental, Alvar a blind swordman fairy and knows Crisis since she was a young naga, Ashgnarak is Menyssan's lord, Mezzus a powerful mage who lives with fairies, after you developp the character himself.

I have to correct you on that, because I don't like being credited for other people's work. ^^ Karbo developed the character of Mezzus, not me; Karbo created him as the mage responsible for the in character theory of fairy magic GREGOLE suggested and I elaborated on, I had nothing to do with the character aside from that. Smile

Rest of your point stands, though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 12:47 pm

I take cares about your correction Very Happy

Are you agree with me in Felarya in addition to the known factors, there is a factor I will name the felaryan factor which make the ratio will be always from 1 to 100% in favor to the females and 0 to 99% for the males.

In clear a race or a tribe may lose all its males but the females will always survive. The felaryan factors doesn't limit only to the birth rate but affects too the chance of survival.
So a male predator is not on the same boat as a female pale
Back to top Go down
GodTiger
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 1:09 pm

O; well that sucks doesn't it... They're immortal anyway and i bet somehow or for some reason they'll just make magic into helping giving brith... in those sense... (But that's ONLY by pure fandom but not realistic but Felarya isn't something you call realisim but nor completely fiction*though it pratically is*)

D; The males are so screwed... (I'm not helping sorry for saying anything... just my though)
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:22 pm

GodTiger wrote:
O; well that sucks doesn't it... They're immortal anyway and i bet somehow or for some reason they'll just make magic into helping giving brith... in those sense... (But that's ONLY by pure fandom but not realistic but Felarya isn't something you call realisim but nor completely fiction*though it pratically is*)

D; The males are so screwed... (I'm not helping sorry for saying anything... just my though)

The male are not screwed it's just the females are a slightly advantaged in Felarya, but they can live as long as the female Wink
Back to top Go down
Feign
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Feign

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 7:39 am

Of course all of this was right after I had it said in-character in a story that Fairies have a bout a 10:1 female to male birth rate... making things look grim long-term for groups of fairies who break with the kingdom. (also why the fairies tend to not usually have long-term outposts from Nemyra's realm, too)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male characters   Male characters - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Male characters
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4