Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shape shifting predators

Go down 
+5
gwadahunter2222
Haar
Pendragon
Malahite
mikeimp
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeimp
Hero
Hero
mikeimp

Shape shifting predators Empty
PostSubject: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 3:57 pm

I came up with a brilliant idea of Shape Shifting predators. They would each have three different forms, i.e. a Naga, a Centauress/Centaur, and a Mermaid.
Back to top Go down
http://Michael-son-of-goku.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 11:48 am

I.. cannot think of words to describe this. It most certainly isn't "Good" or "Original", but in no way does it scream "What the feth?" or "Stupid".

How it is utilized will lead to my final answer, but I shall say this: If they get the benefits of all, and the penalties of none (Oh no, I beached. Naga time!) I will find this idea a little... lame.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 11:54 am

I agree. Give the shape shifters a HUGE weakness, then let's talk.
Back to top Go down
Haar
Great warrior
Great warrior
Haar

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 12:03 pm

If I may make a suggestion, how about making it so they are unable to control when they change shapes? That would be a pretty big weakness Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://haar.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 12:09 pm

Pendragon wrote:
I agree. Give the shape shifters a HUGE weakness, then let's talk.
Each time it change its form it has both the strenght and weakness of its new form.
A shapeshifter is not so powerfull the we think, but the problem as Malahite says it's not original Sad
It can be "cool" but nothing more.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 1:56 pm

Katrika can do that to a certain degree already.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Katrika can do that to a certain degree already.
Yeah but it's very slow and she's still a naga she can't transform into a centaur or a harpy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Quote :
Yeah but it's very slow and she's still a naga she can't transform into a centaur or a harpy

In theory, she could with enough time.

But yeah, I think the idea of a creature that could alternate between shapes is intriguing, but shouldn't be simply general, one naga, one centaur, etc...

For starters, it seems cheap. Secondly, if it can switch between established forms, it's not my Ryla's thing, anymore.... >>

What it needs is some sort of signature, here. Some sort of limit, a weakness... something to make it distinct.

Maybe a creature that is born as a part human larva, and makes a personal choice or is influenced to evolve into one of various forms which are similar to established creatures. It might be permanent, or extreme change might trigger it to slowly evolve again.

A were-naga is another alternative, of course.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 2:09 pm

But her shape still changes right? I see transforming more as polymorphy, unless said creature has no shape to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 2:20 pm

GREGOLE wrote:

Where's the mass come from?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 2:36 pm

GREGOLE wrote:

In theory, she could with enough time.

But yeah, I think the idea of a creature that could alternate between shapes is intriguing, but shouldn't be simply general, one naga, one centaur, etc...

For starters, it seems cheap. Secondly, if it can switch between established forms, it's not my Ryla's thing, anymore.... >>

What it needs is some sort of signature, here. Some sort of limit, a weakness... something to make it distinct.

Maybe a creature that is born as a part human larva, and makes a personal choice or is influenced to evolve into one of various forms which are similar to established creatures. It might be permanent, or extreme change might trigger it to slowly evolve again.

So you suggest a evolution depending of the place or sudden mutation due to by example a virus, strange energies (magic or not).

Ryla can not transform again Question

In the case of Katrika I think it was a way of her race to adapt faster to a place.

Quote :

Good question, I suppose it's like people get fat they eat important quantity of food before to start to change. Or th body absorp a important quantity of energy.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 2:43 pm

I see shape shifting as changing the shape of the body. Like the Water Sprites can turn their hands into blades or into tentacles, I see that as real shape shifting as the body changed shape.

While taking on a whole other appearance like turning into a rabbit or other creatures, I see that as polymorphism. You just have to take things in context. If the predator possess no mass or body to begin with, then one or the other is accepted.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Quote :
So you suggest a evolution depending of the place or sudden mutation due to by example a virus, strange energies (magic or not).

I mean an adaptive race that assumes a form based on its surroundings and has to go through hell to change their shape again - or is simply incapable of changing again.

For instance, if it were raised in a watery environment, it would resemble a mermaid, if in the Chidokai forest, it might more resemble a dridder, if raised in the mountains, a harpy or goattaur might be plausible shapes.

A natural evolutionary change in the species' lifespan, but extremely varied, is what I'm suggesting.

Quote :
Ryla can not transform again

When did I say that?

Quote :
In the case of Katrika I think it was a way of her race to adapt faster to a place.

It would take a buttload of time, but in theory, Kat could invoke some more radical changes.

Quote :

Characters in sci-fi gain mass all the time.

If you wanna be Trekkie, you can say they convert the naga mass into energy and store it for use later.

If you wanna take a cue from Animorphs, perhaps the extra massis shoved into Zero space and summoned back when needed.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 3:25 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Characters in sci-fi gain mass all the time.
Aye, often by eating a lot and over a period of time.

wrote:
If you wanna be Trekkie,
[Froths at the mouth and his eyes turn red] Speak not that word in my pressence![/Froth]

Though yeah, we can also just go the "Magic did it" route. Just wondering if you had any ideas already set. Of course, we're also ignoring the "Human-Sized" naga / dridder / whatever [Which, while still requiring more mass, requires much less]. Maybe make obesity in human form a requirement to suffer such a curse?
Back to top Go down
mikeimp
Hero
Hero
mikeimp

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 3:42 pm

Huh...Strange...I didn't expect this reaction. I mean, c'mon guys! lol. Everybody here is coming up with Bee/Hornet girls, Mole girls, and many other stuff, and they are totally awesome. I was inspired to create something of my own. Ah well :p
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 3:47 pm

mikeimp wrote:
Huh...Strange...I didn't expect this reaction. I mean, c'mon guys! lol. Everybody here is coming up with Bee/Hornet girls, Mole girls, and many other stuff, and they are totally awesome. I was inspired to create something of my own. Ah well :p
If I may suggest, perhaps make a Non-Sentient species? We're getting WAAAY to many of 'em.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 3:55 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
I mean an adaptive race that assumes a form based on its surroundings and has to go through hell to change their shape again - or is simply incapable of changing again.

For instance, if it were raised in a watery environment, it would resemble a mermaid, if in the Chidokai forest, it might more resemble a dridder, if raised in the mountains, a harpy or goattaur might be plausible shapes.

A natural evolutionary change in the species' lifespan, but extremely varied, is what I'm suggesting.

Ok but a shape shift creature can due to a sudden change or abnormal activity Question

Quote :
When did I say that?
I wanted just a better explanation.

Quote :
It would take a buttload of time, but in theory, Kat could invoke some more radical changes.
So she will be able to have Katherine in a natural way Suspect
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 4:08 pm

I apologize if I was a bit harsh on criticism, but shape shifters can become broken very fast.

If you give them a power that can be beaten easily, it'll be good.
Back to top Go down
mikeimp
Hero
Hero
mikeimp

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 7:28 pm

Shape Shifting predators are like normal predators. They're nothing special, only they can change shape into another species of predator. For example, he/she wanted to swim. They could turn into a water predator. Speed, something that has the necessary parts to accomplish that. Stealt? same thing. Just look at the Xenomorphs from "Alien." They have diferent species for certain needs. Runners, Predaliens, and Drones, each having the right anatomy for specific needs.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 2:53 am

mikeimp wrote:
Shape Shifting predators are like normal predators. They're nothing special, only they can change shape into another species of predator. For example, he/she wanted to swim. They could turn into a water predator. Speed, something that has the necessary parts to accomplish that. Stealt? same thing. Just look at the Xenomorphs from "Alien." They have diferent species for certain needs. Runners, Predaliens, and Drones, each having the right anatomy for specific needs.

As GREGOLE say it can be cheap.

Edit: I explain my point of view, a shapeshift creature can exist but need to show a form of evolution of adaptation to an environment.
The creature you describe is a just a bit too much overpower and seems to don't have real flaws Sad

Edit2: I think about the concept there is one flaw I see for this creature. It's their natural, I explain to change their body they need to pass from the solid state to the liquid state. The creature need to increase their natural heat to pass in liquid state when it reach this state the creature to change is body. And to cooldown the body after to solidify.
This idea comes from the american cartoons of Godzilla (GREGOLE will hate me) where there is a creature like that it was pure DNA, one of the things which allow people to detect it was it's thermal signature Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 12:03 pm

mikeimp wrote:
They have diferent species for certain needs. Runners, Predaliens, and Drones, each having the right anatomy for specific needs.
Actually, those are due to the genetic material deposited from the host. A Predalien queen infecting humans yields... generic Xenomorphs. The anatomy isn't so much for their 'needs' as it is influenced by their host parasitism.

Oh, and I got a link to a page where a guy wrote up what Xenomorphs would take to 'naturally' involve, if anyone's interest.

And Shapeshifting naturally, with no penalties, with all benefits, is really... lame.
Back to top Go down
mikeimp
Hero
Hero
mikeimp

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 12:07 pm

You know, Malahite, I'm starting to feel like you don't like me at all. Oh well Smile. Second, The Shape Shifters "morph" into a different form. Just look at "Animorphs." If you don't like my idea, I'm fine with that. At least I tried, right? Smile
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 12:10 pm

mikeimp wrote:
You know, Malahite, I'm starting to feel like you don't like me at all.
Nah, just that Roughly half my forum accounts feature me purposely fething around with others.

wrote:
Oh well Smile.
Now that's the Apathetic Spirit I love to see!

wrote:
At least I tried, right? Smile
Yes, and trying leaves one more often then not with even more ideas to try out.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 12:13 pm

I don't think that's the case, Mike.

Malahite said before that he's one of the best when it comes to criticism. And I kinda agree with him.

Your idea is great. I'm sure everyone thinks that (especially Gregole, since it isn't a dragon.Laughing) It just needs to feel abit realistic.

Even the Animorphs had their own weaknesses and had to deal with their own trials. They also had natural enemies. The fact that they used their brains to overcome it, sometimes without even relying on their powers, is what made them so awesome.

Don't you agree?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 2:05 pm

If you read the post I edited two times, there is a possibility of flaw Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shape shifting predators   Shape shifting predators Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shape shifting predators
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next