Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe

Go down 
+10
Black Hole Fragment
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
luke112
Archmage_Bael
TheLightLost
Feadraug
Anime-Junkie
Karbo
justpissoffalready
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
justpissoffalready
Naga food

Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Empty
PostSubject: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 4:24 pm

For a long time I have had a really annoying thought about Felarya. All these people and characters, they all say they're from different planets and have spaceships and stuff- but we never get a true valid description of the expanded universe. What we do get from it is that the universe Felarya is in is a fantasy/sci-fi hybrid.

But- how does it work? Is everything just come and go? Is it like Star Wars but with Lord of the Rings characters? Is there a generally established community between the civilizations of the galaxy with a galactic government? It is a galaxy at all? Or is it multiple galaxies connected by dimensional portals?

I am seriously both curious and confused about how Felarya's expanded universe works. If anybody has a clear and understandable veiw about how it works- please tell me. Especially you Karbo if you see this. Please tell us(me)!
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 1:19 am

well the universe at large is really what people want it to be I think. There will be advanced races, remotes places, peaceful or warlike races etc... the advantage with Felarya is it's nowhere and anywhere so it really allow a lot of freedom in that regards.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 3:31 am

Currently there is nothing canon, except for places we know exist. For example; Katrija is a Londorean Naga. Therefore we know that there's a place called Londor. But there's nothing canon about it. It's Zoekin's world.

The expanded universe, as it effects Felarya, is infinite.
Negav is an inter-universal trade hub. Everything and anything is traded there. Whether the traded item is physically there is another matter.
For example; it's possible that space warships are traded in Negav, but the warships themselves aren't there. They are in space in another universe, it's just the transaction that happens there because people go to Negav to sell and buy them.

As far as actual developed stuff, Cauldronborn24 is working on the history of the Vishmitals. What he's told me so far is really good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 3:46 am

From what I see, the Felaryan expanded universe is actually... the Multiverse itself. What I mean is that since Felarya is some kind of world between universes, there's nothing stablished on what's outside Felarya.

At least this is how I see it. You can have people from alternative realities even if the claim to come from the same planet, people who seem to come from medieval ages chatting with futuristic bozos... Possibilities are nearly infinite, that's what I presume.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
justpissoffalready
Naga food

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Karbo wrote:
well the universe at large is really what people want it to be I think. There will be advanced races, remotes places, peaceful or warlike races etc... the advantage with Felarya is it's nowhere and anywhere so it really allow a lot of freedom in that regards.

So what you are saying is that almost anything can be out there and is viable? What about alternate realities? Are those possible?
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 4:13 pm

I think it's pretty much wide open. But if I'm not mistaken, just about the only place in the multiverse that doesn't link to Felarya is our Earth.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 4:54 pm

It's multiversal, it sits in it's own space-time between universes that house planets (like ours) and maybe specifically ours is among them too. That's not to say whether or not felarya actually exists (hey if it did, there's no way to prove it XD) but the point is that the expanded universe outside Felarya is both ours and not ours because it connects to basically everywhere. To make a fleshed out expanded universe with Felarya will be largely irrelevant, and nigh impossible.

Not to mention there are other more urgent ideas and cultures to flesh out in Felarya before we worry about that.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 7:04 pm

well there is the mutiverse, the xenoverse and finally the omiverse i tend to belive that felarya ends up connecting to all of these verses execpt for fortess verses once every X amount of years and mostly connects to a perferrd set of universes commonly
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Luke, you show a lack of understanding of what the omni- and xeno- verses really are.
Felarya can not connect to them, because it would not produce the right sort of connection. They do not have real spacetime as we know it.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Luke, you show a lack of understanding of what the omni- and xeno- verses really are.
Felarya can not connect to them, because it would not produce the right sort of connection. They do not have real spacetime as we know it.
I know that omni- means all and xeno- means alien.How do you really know what would produce the right sort of connection? Are you implying that no universe within the xenoverse or even in the omniverse would not be able to produce the right connecion with Felarya. Besiedes, I am distubed how you even inply the term omniverses when omni means ALL, EVERYTHING, meaning that there can only be one omniverse. Even Felarya is in the Omniverse for it too is a possablity. Also, "spacetime as we KNOW it.", remember that key word, KNOW; For all us humans know we could be completly worng about the actully workings of spacetime.

*Sorry for my nerd rant
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:09 pm

gt500x wrote:
I think it's pretty much wide open. But if I'm not mistaken, just about the only place in the multiverse that doesn't link to Felarya is our Earth.
Both Stabs and Sean have characters from Earth in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:

Yes, but not our earth.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:18 pm

In summary, avoid connecting to Earth. All it does is make people create parallel universes, which are, well, stupid. I support the idea of multiple universes, but the idea that they are all mirrors of eachother is just silly. They'd all be unique, with unique galaxies, stars, etc, etc.

Just make up your own world to connect to, or use an established one.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:

Yes, but not our earth.
...This is debatable. Although, I guess I agree, since if it was ours, then this very forum would exist, eh?

My point is that I, personally, don't like "alternate realities". It just seems a little overdone to me.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Zion you made a Paradox, now my brian hurts freak out
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:34 pm

...Not so much a paradox, as a destruction of the fourth wall.
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Still a paradox.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Not so. A paradox is something which seems impossible due to conflicting properties. This is not that.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Quote :
In summary, avoid connecting to Earth. All it does is make people create parallel universes, which are, well, stupid. I support the idea of multiple universes, but the idea that they are all mirrors of eachother is just silly. They'd all be unique, with unique galaxies, stars, etc, etc.

I have to disagree with this. In fact, connecting felarya to earth is a damn good idea. at least, we know that there are humans, here. "create another world"? how many worlds you want to create that will have humans in it? THAT is stupid.

you should stop telling people to not use earth. it is not stupid, and the identification to the character is much more easier when we know he is at least from our world.

for the rest of ya, a paradox is a logical contradiction, a thinking that is absurd. The question of "What came first? Egg or chicken?" is a good paradox.
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:
Quote :

I have to disagree with this. In fact, connecting felarya to earth is a damn good idea. at least, we know that there are humans, here. "create another world"? how many worlds you want to create that will have humans in it? THAT is stupid.

you should stop telling people to not use earth. it is not stupid, and the identification to the character is much more easier when we know he is at least from our world.

Since Felarya clearly doesn't connect to our Earth, pretty much every time you use Earth has a setting it has to be a new one. So you're pretty much just creating a whole bunch of the same world, especially if you're not modifying it at all. So you're creating multiple versions of the same world, all with humans in them.

Plus, you don't need to have Earth in order to connect with a character. Sure it might be easier to throw out Earth-y references to relate to the reader, but that's sort of a crutch. A good writer can connect the reader to the character itself without having to throw out references. Humanity is something that isn't just defined by "living on Earth."

In the end, the character should eventually start to be defined by their actions on Felarya, not really their actions from where they came from - else you're writing sort of a cross-over. Which does have its place, but doesn't add much to Felarya in the end.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Quote :
Since Felarya clearly doesn't connect to our Earth, pretty much every time you use Earth has a setting it has to be a new one.

Now I haven't read the whole wiki but tell me why Felarya doesn't connect to earth?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:44 pm

I haven't seen any portals to Felarya lately, have you? Laughing

More seriously though, JT is right, Felarya does not connect to our Earth. Else Karbo would really be sitting on Crisis' shoulder, instead of just being drawn on there.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:46 pm

there are other ways to enter felarya other than portals.

and now I'll play dumb but for the purpose of it : they might be hidden
Back to top Go down
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 am

rcs619 wrote:

Uhhh, Cliff, you do know that if multiple universes existed, there would have to be an infinite string of repetitive ones with only microns of difference between individuals?
That variation would increase the "farther" down the line you went, but it would still take a while before you got into alternate histories and even further before you get into unfamiliar galactic set-ups.

Sure, story wise it's not the most "creative" of explanations, but narrative conventions would have to impose finite limits on something that is inherently infinite.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 11:52 am

Quote :
Uhhh, Cliff, you do know that if multiple universes existed, there would have to be an infinite string of repetitive ones with only microns of difference between individuals?
That variation would increase the "farther" down the line you went, but it would still take a while before you got into alternate histories and even further before you get into unfamiliar galactic set-ups.

Sure, story wise it's not the most "creative" of explanations, but narrative conventions would have to impose finite limits on something that is inherently infinite.

Why do they all have to be slightly different copies of the SAME universe?

Why not allow for a bit more creativity?

The universe is all about scale. Planets orbit stars. Millions of stars make up a galaxy. Millions of galaxies make up a universe.

Why can't we just take that concept one scale higher? Where the multiple universes are all unique? Where they are floating around in...well, some kind of space, like the galaxies that float around within them?

If we are REALLY going to do alternate universes being copies, then Felarya should only be able to connect to ONE of them. We have it to where time-travel is impossible. NO ONE should be able to meet themselves from a parallel universe.

Why can't other universes simply just be OTHER universes? Why have them be an exact copy of the same thing, with the same stars, same worlds, same people? Just so some authors can go "Herp derp, I wanna have it connect to Earth, I'll just make it a parallel Earth". No, just no.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next