Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics

Go down 
+30
Ilceren
ravaging vixen
French snack
Malahite
Alec and 1337
Amaroq
/Fish/
Nyaha
Darth_Nergal
McKindle
Oldman40k2003
FalconJudge
Archmage_Bael
Emerald Electronic
EvilGenius
Karbo
gwadahunter2222
Claire
Stabs
Feadraug
Vaderaz
DarkOne
Venom Agato
Grave
Pendragon
parameciumkid
rcs619
jedi-explorer
Shady Knight
Zephyr102
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
McKindle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
McKindle

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 3:10 pm

If all predator species get a visible lump in their throat when swallowing, are we to assume their oesophagus is actually more superficial relative to their trachea as opposed to how it is in humans? Or do they just have no tracheal cartilage which allows the oesphagus to push into it?
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm

I think their tracheal cartilage is simply pushed outward by the expansion in their esophagi. It may well be softer on a giant predator's scale, all the relevant forces being larger but the material itself not being significantly stiffer.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 am

So I was on wikipedia reading about what happens when you eat too many bunnies and not enough veggies.

Rabbit Starvation

Rabbit starvation (AKA Morbo del caribou, Kaninchenhunger) happens when an omnivore eats more protein than their liver can process, but still doesn't get enough energy. It causes a bunch of symptoms, including headaches, diarrhea, fatigue, low blood pressure and heartrate, and *drumroll* a vague discomfort and hunger that can only be sated by eating carbs or fatty foods, which contain fat[ya don't say], which should relieve some of the stress on the liver from burning too many proteins for calories. Now, as caribou and bunnies are lean meats, with little fat, I was wondering... what is the fatty content of a human being?

According to wikipedia, for athletes, it's 14-20% fat in women, 6-13% fat in men. For mere fitness, it's 21-24%, 14-17%, for average, it's 25-31% in women, 18-24% in men. Bodybuilders are down to essential fat- 3-5% men, 6-13% women. And anyone here who isn't a vegetarian will probably know that fats have a tendency to get addictive- as they[who?] say, "fat calls to fat". Now, I'm not sure of the fat% for a bear, or mouse, or any animal, in fact, but it seems as though rabbits and deer have only essential fat content.

Considering how predators seem to be on the rather low end of body fat percentage, I think I've stumbled upon another reason to eat humans: they contain more fat than deer. In fact, a fully grown, average free-ranging pig contains around 15% fat, so I'm going to hazard a guess and say we are all deliciously fatty. This seems like a good enough reason to eat guys, specially after not having eaten anything fatty for some time.

Or girls- guaranteed to be 7% tastier! laugh alone
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 3:34 pm

DUDE
That's so rational and logical! Who'da thunk it, a reasonable scientific explanation for Felaryan vore... Shocked

And in other news, this provides more comfort in that I wouldn't be as likely to be eaten given my abnormally low fat content ^^
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 7:02 pm

...And in other other news:
I got to wondering about making a community map, and on that topic, what Felarya's land is shaped like outside the edges of Karbo's map. So I drew this thing:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f47/17/27/45/47/new_ca10.jpg
and want to hear people's opinions. I have some question marks where I couldn't decide which way to have the coastlines going. This is, of course, just a speculative doodle, but the value I see in such speculation will come when (if) the community map gets made and people need to see where the land is / can be when they make stuff outside the confines of the existing charted land.
Do we have any cartography buffs here who are into this kind of thing?
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 1:06 pm

the fat thing is quite interesting, It just happens that the Dridder in the first chapter of my story (She Who Dares Wins) was quite addicted to humans and I was thinking of explaining it at some point being down to an pregnancy craving, which I orginally thought as nothing more than a joke, but the point about humans having fat makes the idea more plausible as an increased fat intake would surely be required to churn out those Dridder eggs.

So anyway thanks for sharing that, you've just possibliy helped me there Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 8:24 am

If the tallest Dryad was to pick up a human and throw as hard as she can, how far will the human travel before hitting the ground? Would it be so far that someone in Negav could look up and see the human fly across over the city?
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 11:45 am

Depends on the radius of the Isolon Eye. Are we to presume that the dryad is as close as she could get, threw straight toward the city, and was smart enough to aim up at a 30 to 45 degree angle? Or did she throw the human in a straight line?
I'll wager probably not, given that I've never heard of a dryad much more than 300 feet / 100m tall, so the human is unlikely to travel more than a kilometer or so.

Now if a dryad fell over in the forest, and there were no other dryads in her network, would she still make a sound?
Back to top Go down
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 11:59 am

Hmmm...a random thought. The soil in Felarya prevents you from getting sick by hightening your immune system to super levels right? I wonder what would happen if we took a naga like Crisis, who has not only lived in Felarya all her life but her family has, I assume, lived here long enough that their bodies have fully adapted to being in Felarya, out of Felarya. Her immune system has only worked with the help of the soil, so do you guys think it might be weaker then normal, or stronger?
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 3:47 pm

I would assume it'd be weaker, yeah. It makes sense to me that if you take away any augmentation from something that's at norm powerful, it'd be weaker. Like taking away Kira's strength-enhancing gloves. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 pm

I think it'd be stronger for a little while, what with "essence of soil" all infused in her cells and whatnot, but yeah, after a while it'd end up weaker. But then again, her immune system would probably have a chance to beef itself up over the first few weeks, so it'd end up about average. Well maybe a little weaker, she isn't a child after all.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 12:28 pm

time to give an solemn turn,

I wonder what is the general predator view on dying? Most humans don't like the idea of dying alone and would want someone there in their last moments, but that doesn't apply to all cultures as some consider dying alone and not upsetting people the polite thing to do.

So, what would most predators prefer? On one hand they live in a harsh world where it's eat or be eaten, many are born alone and so they may be prepared for dying without anyone to mourn them, but on one hand it's clear many of them are portayed as valuing friendship and would do anything for the few friends they make, so might prefer someone be there to comfort them if they had the option.

I am quite undecided on the issue scratch

Back to top Go down
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 pm

As there are many kinds of predator, I'd say there would be many different views on this. Nobody's going to die of old age, but maybe, in the event of mortal injury, a predator given to friendship would like someone there to comfort them, let them know they won't be forgotten.
I'd be curious to know if a predator would want their body buried, burned, or eaten by the friend who was there for them, supposing the friend was capable of doing so. Of course, that kind of assumes a predator would have any feelings about the sanctity of their corpse in the first place. Maybe they wouldn't care at all if they would be left to rot or bloat up or mummify.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 7:00 pm

Social societies tend to have a rather important view on dying, (like) the Ancient Egyptians centered most if not all their culture and "empire" around death, and I think fairies especially would/could definitely have a lot of memorials, tombs, etcetera to remember loved ones.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Recycling!
Yes, I mean exactly what it sounds like xD
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 9:02 pm

If some of the gaint predators buired their dead (the gaints and gaintesses the most likely, since they are just gaint versions of humans) that would surely mean there are enormous graves somewhere.

"Ugh guys, not to creep you out or anything, but this big hill we have just climbed up.....I think it's a gaint's grave."
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 3:21 pm

First of all, your logic concerning the giants and giantesses have a fallacy. They are not "just giant versions of humans". It says so specifically in the wiki. The exceptions would be, of course, those who grew in size during their dimensional transference to Felarya.

I'm wondering something myself. Outside of not drinking blood and overexposure to the sun, how might a vampire go about dying on Felarya? :3
Back to top Go down
Emerald Electronic
Naga food

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Social societies tend to have a rather important view on dying, (like) the Ancient Egyptians centered most if not all their culture and "empire" around death, and I think fairies especially would/could definitely have a lot of memorials, tombs, etcetera to remember loved ones.

While I definitely agree that predators would acknowledge death and perhaps take it upon themselves to construct memorials faeries are the last that come to mind. Even though they're especially social and are some of the few preds to have societies their tenuous grasp of concepts like morals, people and their whimsical outlook in general makes me think they'd view death through a softer outlook like a child might. A dearly departed friend isn't dead just gone away or sleeping for a long tine.

I always assumed the more warrior-like races like the Jotun and the Mantoids would be far more likely to honour the deceased.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 11:01 pm

I consider overthinking Felarya topics a specialty of mine. Again I will be mercilessly critical of fairies.

Fairies are known to shrink someone, but have something other than a fairy eat the shrunkee. No one explodes from a shrunken person expanding inside them, even though the spell would normally wear off in a short time.

For a canonical example, we can use Crisis. While she was little she ate shrunken humans for years, but we know that her larger, secondary stomach has atrophied from disuse. From this we can assume that the shrunken humans never grew inside her to move into the larger stomach. If a predator with a naga-like physiology would want to intentionally break the shrinking spell for the purpose of filling their larger stomach, could they?

Does fairy magic simply interact with living beings in a way that keeps it active automatically? Perhaps being irradiated with ambient magic of the soil is enough for a living being to sustain such a spell.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 5:33 am

No, yes, doubt it, no way.

From what little I understood (I fails biologicness 4ever) the second stomach has to be used in the digestive process. It's all aligned; there's no way to get into the intestines without going through that place first. So, one way or another, everything passes through the second stomach. It becomes a useless stretch of weakly churning sphincters in Crisis' case, but they still have to go that way.

Now if someone wanted to break the shrinking spell... I wouldn't put it in the realm of the impossible. Those spells break, don't they? I'd rather nothing was made to explode with that kind of magic, but I'm not going to say it can't be done. Maybe it can, and fairies are just too nice to make things explode?

As for fairy magic interacting with living beings... I'd say no, no way. Otherwise it'd never wear off, ever. It can't even be that it interacts with pred stomaches; it'd have to be all stomaches or nothing, otherwise we'd have neko stomaches as being special, and us humans would be the guys with a stomach so weak a fairy can trick us into exploding.

Same for the soil- if it could support the magic, it'd never come off, ever. So tomthumbs might... oh, god. No. That is just too hotrrifying and has so many scary implications I'd never stop thinking about it.

Though I devised fairy glass together with Yuki, I think sometimes maybe it'd be best if we made the permashrink (or at least semipermashrink) a spell fairies use. Something like learning to shrink was like learning to use a fork and knife, and learning to permashrink for someone else to eat was like learning how to knead dough. That said, I'm the guy who thinks of killing everything by digging 10-foot pits Razz
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:50 am

Since my question seems to have gone ignored, I feel I should ask again: Is it possible for vampires to be killed on Felarya? And if so, how?

The way I see it is, (if) all those superstitious vampire-killing methods - garlic, sunlight, wooden stakes - didn't work, at least in Felarya, and the vampire wasn't able to starve itself of blood long enough to die off, their inherent immortality combined with Felarya's soil's natural healing augmentation would make a vampire's death near-impossible, if not completely so. Even if they were to actually lose their head or their heart, it could theoretically eventually heal right back up if they were powerful enough. But I don't know all the rules concerning them here.
Back to top Go down
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 11:53 am

Well, first off nyaha the healing soil in felarya would not help a vampire, or any undead, in any way what so ever. In fact, vampires and all undead would be naturally weaker because of the healing soil. The reason for this is actually a little complex, and while people around here may hate me using it, D&D described it the best. Undead are kept "alive" through necromatic energy, they heal with necromatic energy, and they survive best in areas with a lot of necromatic energy. This is true for all undead, be it zombies, vampires, or liches. Basically necromatic energy is Negavtive Energy.

Beings who are actually alive, like you and me, use something called Positive Energy. That's pretty much what healing spells are made out of. Positive energy destroys undead, just like negative energy destroys the living. While Felarya's soil does not use positive energy per say, the effects, as far as I know, are the same. As such, it stands to reason that Vampires would actually be easier to kill in Felarya then our world, and would actually end up becoming weaker. Now that's not to say a vampire would be simple to kill. Even at their weakest a vampire could take on an average human a win. Heck, an average vampire could take on a giant naga and have a good chance at winning, and they have a ton of escape plans that they can use. Still, in Felarya they should tire out faster, not be as strong as they normally would be, and their spell casting would be weakened.

Finally, you should know that, unless my sources and memory are wrong, stakes only seal a vampire and garlic only makes a vampire want to avoid you due to the stench. Sunlight is the best way to kill a vampire, but tossing them into a flowing body of water, like a river or ocean, works too. Another way is to cut off the head, fill the mouth with holy wafers, nail the mouth shut, burn the body, and scatter the ashes across the world. Even then it might still come back. =/

-cough-The Lich is still a better undead then vampires though.-cough-

EDIT: I forgot to add something about the water. A vampire is unable to cross large bodies of water without being in their coffin. Another good way to assure a vampire's destruction is to destroy their coffin and the place they were laid to rest. Vampires use both places to help speed up their healing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Darth_Nergal wrote:
Well, first off nyaha the healing soil in felarya would not help a vampire, or any undead, in any way what so ever. In fact, vampires and all undead would be naturally weaker because of the healing soil. The reason for this is actually a little complex, and while people around here may hate me using it, D&D described it the best. Undead are kept "alive" through necromatic energy, they heal with necromatic energy, and they survive best in areas with a lot of necromatic energy. This is true for all undead, be it zombies, vampires, or liches. Basically necromatic energy is Negavtive Energy.
But isnt necromancy pretty much the only type of magic that is not existing in Felarya? reviving the dead is impossible, so how can undead creatures exist in Felarya anyway? Naturally born vampires or those who got here via dimensional magic wouldn't really be dependant on that dark magic, but I guess they wouldnt be able to use it here either, thus they loose some of their power (if they ever had any necromancy). If Creatures can only exist while they maintain necromantic spells, then I guess its pretty much game over for them since their magic is nullified. Thus, Vampires who use necromancy to sustain themselves, are vulnerable like any other being of flesh and blood.
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Emerald Electronic wrote:
While I definitely agree that predators would acknowledge death and perhaps take it upon themselves to construct memorials faeries are the last that come to mind. Even though they're especially social and are some of the few preds to have societies their tenuous grasp of concepts like morals, people and their whimsical outlook in general makes me think they'd view death through a softer outlook like a child might. A dearly departed friend isn't dead just gone away or sleeping for a long tine.

I always assumed the more warrior-like races like the Jotun and the Mantoids would be far more likely to honour the deceased.

Fairies are also some of the more affectionate creatures in Felarya, too. The more social a creature is, the more interaction they need; like a long lost puppy yearning for huggles. If a fairy lost their "huggles mate" I think they'd be devastated. It doesn't matter what they think they know, because even people who believe in the afterlife will be devastated when a close person dies. Love is ultimately selfish, after all. We don't mourn their passing; we mourn that they are leaving us, its not really something people can help too much, and that's also why I think (not just) fairies especially would mourn their dead.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 9:00 pm

I think the wiki says that already-existing undead can enter Felarya, but it doesn't normally form connections to zombie-infested worlds, and its environment is inhospitable to such, especially with zombie-eating butterflies roaming around. There are a few vampire characters around, but they don't end up doing much in the way of upsetting the balance.
And why wouldn't the tried-and-true stake method work? It works on pretty much everything else, necro-magic or no...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next