Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fairy Politics

Go down 
+2
jedi-explorer
Archmage_Bael
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 10:55 am

I have been wondering about this for a while. They all seem happy go lucky, and very accepting of each other, creating almost no conflict with one another. However, the way I perceive one type of fairy in particular makes me think there may be an underlying issue here. Storm Sprites.

Storm Sprites as I understand, are more powerful fairies, probably next to Crimson Maidens (as they are written in the wiki as the deadliest fairy you'll meet, just highly reculsive, staying in their region up north).

Where do the Storm Sprites live mainly? Also, as far as I can tell, based on the manga, they are haughty and somewhat aggressive, just friendly to other fairies though. Still, I suspect that sort of attitude can get on the nerves of other fairies. Granted, fairies may perceive feelings much differently: If they perceive the way they each react to different things as being more natural, so a fairy who's naturally aggressive wouldn't get on the nerves a calmer fairy (and vice versa) because they are very empathetic. Though that would seem a bit contrived just keep the montage of 'all fairies are friends, and all friends are fairies (even Melany's assistant!)'. If this is the case, its a great excuse to develop how types of fairies feel and react around one another. We'd need a way for them to maintain friendships, but still being a bit at odds, or reacting differently around one another. They cant be perfect, can they?
Spoiler:

Storm Sprites are very cool, but something just feels...off...about them. I feel like they go around trying to prove they're better than all the other fairies, and I cant imagine how that would work well with any of the others. I've RP'd with a few who have storm sprites, and they've all been the same way. Maybe if they're not designed to be like this, there's possibly something wrong with their image?
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 11:49 am

Storms represent power, conflict and rage. I had a Samurai in a Feudal Fantasy who's rage mode summoned storms. As for pride? Well lightning itself is beautiful AND terrifying. Storms are also a combination visually of darkness and light so any personification of them will be quite unstable I'd imagine. Weirdly my own Storm Sprite is strangely more relaxed than you'd expect and enjoys chilling out to heavy metal, XD Perhaps a revision of her character is in order though as I've always felt she was off center for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 12:10 pm

It makes me think you've exaggerated something. Just because you saw one storm sprite who was mean doesn't mean they all are. When Anna went planning, there wasn't a faction of storm sprites getting lippy about it; they're not all the same.

They live wherever they can get large discharges of electricity. Which means, they'll probably live in the Great Rocky Fields, the Torpaline coast (I think. Which one had power crabs?) and you should avoid Catatumbo Lighthouse.

Also, don't assume all fairies are friends and all friends are fairies. Psycho Electro didn't care for Crisis or Vivian, and Lily lost friends over being such a nut. I'm sure fairies have trouble getting along sometimes, we just don't see it that often.

As for what's wrong with them, I dunno. Maybe your RPers are way too enthused about storm sprites being the best, to the point it bleeds into their characters in a way that's just wrong?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 3:06 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Where do the Storm Sprites live mainly?
Gee, I dunno. How about Great Rocky Field? You know, that place that's always under a thunderstorm and is a natural habitat for lightning elementals.

Also, yeah, Torpaline coast has the electric crabs, but it doesn't list Storm Sprites as living there, probably due to the lack of lightning elementals there.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Shady knight wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:
Where do the Storm Sprites live mainly?
Gee, I dunno. How about Great Rocky Field? You know, that place that's always under a thunderstorm and is a natural habitat for lightning elementals.

It does say that in the wiki, but no need to have a biggot response like that. Lol their fault for their lack of observance and search, let them learn the lesson Razz

Shady knight wrote:
Also, yeah, Torpaline coast has the electric crabs, but it doesn't list Storm Sprites as living there, probably due to the lack of lightning elementals there.

Or in worst or better terms, the lack of creative precision. Lighting crabs? So why not a frequent or rare chance of finding them there also?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Because Storm Sprites are explicitly stated as a crossbreed between fairies and lightning elementals, or rather a mix as the quote says.

Quote :
Another mix between fairies and elementals, storm sprites are one of the most dangerous species of fairy on Felarya.

In the context of Felarya, elementals are spirits that make their body out of an element, in this case, lightning.

Quote :
Elementals in Felarya can be roughly defined as spirits inhabiting non-living matter. They are much more complex than that though, and a water elemental isn't just moving water with a mind of its own.

Arthronodes, the electric crabs, basically are capable of bioelectrogenesis, the generation of electricity by living organism, which they primarily use the same way electric eels do, as a hunting tool and defense mechanism, for the most part at least.

Quote :
What makes arthronodes particularly dangerous is the electrical powers they can use to shock and stun their prey just long enough for them to swallow it down. They can also use it defensively, and the amount of electricity delivered this way is much greater. Sometimes they'll electrify their feet in order to repulse the naturally occurring ions in the soil, slightly levitating their feet and allowing them to "skate" across the land.

Because of it, there isn't really much electricity for an elemental spirit to inhabit and make a body out of, which means there wouldn't be very many opportunities for fairies there to make storm sprites, which means a very tiny, if non-existent, population of storm sprites in Torpaline Coast. It does mention arthronodes mating during thundery nights, as stated there.

Quote :
During mating season, which usually occurs on a thundery night, male arthronodes create magnificent lightning spectacles in both the sky and the sea, wooing female crabs. During violent thunder storms, their metal spikes conduct electricity and gives them great boosts of power.

But if you ask me, it seems more like they take advantage of the power boost from the storm to pull stunts that would otherwise be impossible, and thunderstorm can naturally occur anywhere barring some weird shenanigans. That said, it would be interesting, and terrifying, if certain elementals showed up more often and in more places during particularly strong weather, but I digress.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 1:16 am

Their politics are decided by their diets. If they're hungry, then they wage holy wars against other nations, with their stomachs.

There, I saved us about 50 pages of political discussion. You're welcome. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 10:25 am

I'm surprised nobody remembered the Abandoned Vishmital Outpost as their lair considering THEY CAUSED IT TO KERSPLODE. Storm Sprites also dwell near those every generating trees when last I looked... Though I can't find the article XD

Pendragon wrote:
Their politics are decided by their diets. If they're hungry, then they wage holy wars against other nations, with their stomachs.

There, I saved us about 50 pages of political discussion. You're welcome.

But the debate is half the fun! :O
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 11:40 am

That's because the outpost is in the Great Rock Fields, so it goes without saying that you'd find them there. And so is the Teferis Forest, they're both found in the Great Rock Fields. http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Great_rocky_fields
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 2:36 pm

It doesn't say they live in the Great Rocky Fields. Just because you'd see a particular fairy anywhere, doesn't mean they all live there. Various preds live in different areas. What kinds of Fairies live in the Fairy Kingdom? We know Canopy Fairies live in Deeper Felarya, and Crimson Maidens live in the Crimson Wood, but it just says "Fairies" there.

Also, here is the wiki:

Da Wiki wrote:
Another mix between fairies and elementals, storm sprites are one of the most dangerous species of fairy on Felarya. Not only are they extremely fast, but they can also turn themselves into pure magical energy (along with whatever they wear and anything (or anyone) they have inside them), allowing them to enter electrical circuits as a mean of transportation, or simply to destroy them. This ability means that a storm sprite could infiltrate a very well defended base, eat some of its occupants (or play practical jokes such as disabling security turrets) and then exit at will. With their chaotic and fun-loving character, they pose an enormous threat to technologically advanced settlements. Fortunately they are rare and need to "recharge" themselves from a nearby source of energy from time to time in order to stay healthy. This source is usually a storm but could also be an energy generating reactor. Another scary ability they have is one called "flash digestion": if the fairy is in a hurry, they can literally disintegrate any prey in their stomach in mere seconds. They prefer to digest the good old fashion way though, and use it rarely. Storm sprites were the cause of the downfall of the Abandoned Vishmital outpost in the Great rocky fields.

It does say they were the cause - that I've known. Though it doesn't guarantee they actually live there. Still, where they live is only part of the question

Stabs wrote:
It makes me think you've exaggerated something. Just because you saw one storm sprite who was mean doesn't mean they all are. When Anna went planning, there wasn't a faction of storm sprites getting lippy about it; they're not all the same.

Me wrote:
Also, as far as I can tell, based on the manga, they are haughty and somewhat aggressive,
Me wrote:
I've RP'd with a few who have storm sprites, and they've all been the same way.

I'm not basing this off of one storm sprite, even if I was, the Manga is a pretty strong example, no? I'd wager Mystiniel is a tad nuts even my storm sprites, but I think that tendency derives from the perceived nature of their species. How we perceive them to be. Who knows, they could be calm and peaceful, but because they're literally the offspring of Spirit formed lightning combined with Fairies, I imagine its not quite like that :p.

Also, it took me a while to find her name. I cant find Mystiniel in the wiki, even though she's in the Manga.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Quote :
Great Rocky Fields
Danger: Normal
Sub zones: Sandfall maze, Orelosk plateau, Teferis forest, Abandoned Vishmital outpost
Inhabitants: storm manticores, stormseekers, greater stormseekers, centaurs, zebra centaurs, blue sphinxes, rock harpies, humans, lightning elementals, storm sprites, scorpisaïs, whaqas
Learn to research.  Also, if you want to go with the argument that you could find them anywhere, technically, so does harpies and sphinxes cause they can fly, but they're not listed in every single area cause they don't have a sizable population everywhere.  The instances where you'd do find even one storm sprite in the jungle, or anywhere outside where there's a lot of electricity, AKA the Great Rocky Fields, would be extraordinary.

Last edited by Shady Knight on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Archmagebael wrote wrote:
Me wrote:
Also, as far as I can tell, based on the manga, they are haughty and somewhat aggressive,

Me wrote:
I've RP'd with a few who have storm sprites, and they've all been the same way.

Thats...A very invalid point to an argument. Rp's and your own characters are to your own interpretation. So of course you or they can make them seem that way. However i loved what you said later:

Archmage Bael wrote:
"...but I think that tendency derives from the perceived nature of their species. How we perceive them to be. Who knows, they could be calm and peaceful, but because they're literally the offspring of Spirit formed lightning combined with Fairies, I imagine its not quite like that :p."

This would depend more on nature vs nuture. You're going to have to be more specific with their cultural and a bit biological, This is what also makes politics, since faries behave more like sapients with a higher natural...I guess hereditary form Personality disorder? (not quite exactly that but some of the symptons for sure make them a bit different in a deeper sense mentally, just don't know how to explain it.). You have to go on more social points then biological anyways. If their parents which i'm assuming are either faeries or elementals themselves (That's trivial to me how those two make those anyways). Then it would most likely be how they're raised. Again they're sapient like a human, they can make choices to grow their overall character unlike most animals (I say that as in they don't have much sentience capability as people, but Faries sure do).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fairy Politics  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fairy Politics    Fairy Politics  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fairy Politics
Page 1 of 1