Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Draug's petty characters

Go down 
+4
Tankmasterxyz
Reptillian
Karbo
Feadraug
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

Draug's petty characters Empty
PostSubject: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:55 am

Even though I posted about my characters in the topic for that section, I think I can go for the big jump and suggest at least one of them for the Wiki... NOT. That's not my aim for character creation, first because I know I'll miserably fail. Razz

This thread will be the home of my characters' bios. Main characters will be here with their big nice bios, but expect that if some secondary chars come, they'll have smaller yet interesting profiles for themselves.

So here is my main Felaryan pred. The irresistibly cute mute fairy, Kyria! The text is nearly the same as the one I published in that character thread, but with some corrections (I've seen that her fear towards tentacled monsters won't make any sense) and extra info.

---

Name: Kyria.
Nickname: The speechless beauty.

Species: Canopy fairy.
Age: Unknown, but she's quite young for fairy standards.
Birthplace: The Forest of Whispers.
Height: Varies, but her favourite size is 5' 3" - she considers it something neither small nor big.
Weight: 96 lbs - in her favourite size.

Likes: Friends (especially Seelvee the dryad), humans (as food), echydins.
Dislikes: Bugs.

Predation: Opportunistic

Abilities

- Size-shifting magic: Kyria's basic magic, able to alter her own size or others', although she rarely uses it on herself. She's said to be able to alter the size of large creatures, contrary to the common belief that fairies aren't able to do so, but it seems to take most of her strength and the effect lasts way shorter than the usual size shift, which makes it pretty useless.

- Limited dimensional magic: Kyria is a canopy fairy, therefor she has some knowledge on dimensional magic. But it's very rudimentary: she can only alter the space around her to "write in the air", moving her finger like a pen.

- Polyglot: Although she can't speak, Kyria knows the spoken and written forms of many human languages. This has been learnt from her friend Seelvee. She moves her lips and uses gestures so others can understand her, but she can also write sentences in the air, in case someone can't read her lips or understand her gestures. This is very useful in her case, given that neither sign language nor written words are affect by the Felaryan 'translation effect'.

Pyshical description

Kyria has tanned skin, long pointed ears, no antennas - something rare in a fairy - and long reddish brown hair, up to the middle of her back. Her eyes are golden and quite big, which makes them resemble jewels. Kyria has a set of four, blue-ish semi-transparent dragonfly wings. Even though her hair is long, it is no impediment for flying, as her hair seems to hover magically once she starts flying.

Although many fairies don't wear clothes at all, Kyria feels a bit ashamed at the thought of being naked. That's why she wears a bikini-like suit made of leaves, although the leaves aren't that big, making Kyria look 'barely naked'.

Personality

Kyria is a nice person with anyone who isn't in her 'food' list. She's a very friendly fairy, trying always to look her best in front of others, showing them her friendly ways. She also uses this for tricking humans and nekos - but especially humans - who dare to get into the forest, unaware of its perils. Of course, this isn't a flawless strategy...

And truth to be told, sometimes Kyria is also a bit childish, maybe becuase she's still 'young' in fairy terms. This makes her a playful character, either with her friends or with her food - she loves seeing her prey struggle in her hand and her mouth, using her fingers or her tongue to tease them.

An unknown fact about Kyria is her adventurous spirit. She likes taking risks and living with excitement when possible.

Feeding habits

Her main courses are vegetables and fruits. She likes collecting them in her improvised hut in a large branch she has made her home, where she stores enough fruit for even weeks. She also likes mushrooms.

Even though she might seem a vegetarian, this changes when it comes to her taste regarding "candy". As many fairies, she's fond of eating humans as treats - though she's sometimes gone for a neko. She's aware her prey is sentinet, but that's why she prefers them this way: they make the "candy time" more enjoyable. Kyria swallows them whole and naked - because she doesn't like the taste of clothes - once they've been shrunk. She doesn't like chewing her prey, it's quite gruesome for her.

She rarely eats any other kind of meat, although in case she's very hungry Kyria won't make any distinctions if it's for survival. The only meat she won't taste is that from echydins, which she loves, and obviously from bugs, which she hates as much as other fairies do.

Background story

Kyria is a big exception in The Forest of Whispers. Since she was born, Kyria was never able to say a word. Even though she was born mute, Kyria always tried to show her best to the rest of the fairy community she was living in, specially after she left her parents to live an independent new life, as they decided to move to the Fairy Kingdom for a new life as well.

But as she met her new group, she realized she couldn't join them in their whispering, and Kyria felt they weren't interested in her at all. That made her first years of independent life the saddest ones, and even had thoughts of returning to her family, ashamed.

One day, Kyria met a dryad, Seelvee, who was interested in Kyria's condition. Seelvee seemed to have seen more than the eye meets and quickly became friends with Kyria. This somehow gave the fairy enough strength to keep up her fight and try again with her community. In fact, thanks to the combined efforts of Kyria and Seelvee, the rest of the fairies finally accepted their mute fellow. And thanks to that, Kyria could finally begin a life very similar to that of other fairies in The Forest of Whispers, although instead of whispering for tricking lost people - and soon-to-be food -, Kyria preferred to listen, since she found this amusing, more than if she could ever speak and whisper along with others.

Anyway, it is also true that some fairies tease her because of her condition, but Kyria doesn't mind anymore. She likes the way she is, after all.

Even though her age is unknown, Kyria is still a young maiden in the fairy standards and there are still many things in her life to be told. Life is an adventure for her and even if she had never been out of The Forest of Whispers, Kyria dreams of exploring the world beyond the canopy...

Miscellaneous data

- (Messy) full body reference.
- Kyria in full colors!
- One of Kyria's cameos out of Felarya.
- Oh, a fan-art of Kyria!
- Oh, another fan-art!
- Kyria's snack time
- Kyria, Adventure Time style

---

Name: Kyria
Species: Canopy fairy
Sex: Female
Height: Varies, but her favourite size is 5' 3" - she considers it something neither small nor big.
Hair colour: Reddish brown.
Eye colour: Golden.
Wings: Dragonfly-like
Other characteristics: Mute, she has no antennas, long pointed ears, usually wears a green leaf bikini.

Last edited by Feadraug on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:43 am; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 10:52 am

A great character ^_^
The fact she is mute definitely add a lot to her I think Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks. And indeed, I wanted her to be a bit special. Not an overpowered character, not a character everyone immediately likes... just something unique. Being mute in The Forest of Whispers seems quite unique. Razz
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 11:39 am

It was about time to make a new version of Seelvee's profile, now longer and using the same structure I did for Kyria's new - and official? - bio.

---

Name: Seelvee.
Nickname: The wise and the mischievous.

Species: Dryad.
Birthplace: The Forest of Whispers.
Height: 180 feet.
Weight: Unknown.

Likes: Peace, humans (as both chatting partners and tasty morsels).
Dislikes: Fire.

Abilities

- Magic (illusion, earth and wind): Seelvee's magic illusions mainly come from her dryad heritage, making her a mistress of mimetism. Her earth and wind magic powers, however, come from knowledge she had adquired in the past from some of her preys - which she kept alive until she found them useless except for a good meal -, in a very similar way she learnt many of the languages she now can speak.

- Limb stretching: A curious ability for a dryad. Even if dryads by themselves have some flexibility, Seelvee's arms are able to stretch longer than any other dryad's reach. She combines this physical special ability with her magic illusions, so she makes her prey look like her hands are closer than they think... until they're actually grabbing her food, as they prey usually gives up, fooled by the illusion.

- Polyglot: Thanks to watching and listening to humans for decades, Seelvee has somehow learnt the spoken and written forms of many human languages. As said before, she learnt the written forms by keeping some humans alive and living with her before their fatal fate. But after she had learnt enough languages, no human seems to have survived her long...

Pyshical description

The division between her human-like and her tree-like parts begins with her navel. Below it, the brown trunk of a tree can be seen, with several branches coming out of it. Once you get past the belly bottom, you can see a naked woman's upper half.

Seelvee's skin is brown and quite similar to wood - although it's quite soft when you touch it -, with long dark green hair covered in leaves of the same colour and azure eyes. It hasn't been confirmed yet, but many people who have survived this forest's perils and managed to survive claim she's one of the most beautiful beings they've seen in their lives.

Personality

Seelvee is in theory the typical wise and gentle dryad kind. That's the way she is, but she can also allow herself to be a bit mischievous. She loves teasing and it's something that, in her opinion, sets Seelvee apart from other dryads. Seelvee is a 'woman of honor' too, as she will never break a promise.

Also, Seelvee can be quite talkative. Maybe too talkative. If you're her future morsel or a soon-to-be-friend and she feels like it, you can have an interesting talk with her, exchanging opinions - usually about predators and how unfair life is - before you finally become friends or you literally become part of her.

Feeding habits

Seelvee can feed herself using photosyntesis, given she's a dryad. Being quite tall, she can get enough sunlight for subsisting for a very long time.

But due to her link with the rest of the forest, she's learnt of other dryads' feeding habits and has got a liking for humanoids. She's quite a gourmet and will only eat humans. Seelvee thinks chewing her prey is pointless, as she loves and thinks it's arousing the way her morsels struggle in her mouth, throat and stomach, thus she'll swallow them whole and alive.

But don't worry: it isn't like she'll eat every human in sight. Some humans migh provide to be interesting for a good chat and even for learning something from them... but no one should get their hopes too high, as she's known for disposing of these interesting fellows once they have nothing else to say.

Background story

Decades ago, Seelvee was nothing special compared with other dryads. She was the usual peaceful being, linked to the rest of the forest and the dryad community.

Her story, however, changed the day she found a mute fairy. She learnt the name of the fairy was Kyria and Seelvee also managed to learn her story. Knowing of Kyria's situation, Seelvee didn't want the fairy to be sad because of her speechless condition. And so she tried her best to help Kyria, finally getting the fairy's acceptance in the community. This also let her to be known among these fairies, who began to trust the dryad and also share with her jokes, since they found she had a not-so-serious side even Seelvee herself wasn't aware of. And that's why she's become a more mischievous and talkative dryad.

Satisfied with this, currently Seelvee always tries to help her best friend, the little mute fairy, in anything she needs, which includes looking for the best morsels thanks to her 'dryad link' with the forest itself. Of course, this is something she only does for Kyria, other fairies will have to find their prey by themselves.

Miscellaneous data

- Seelvee's only cameo (in Spanish).
- Seelvee's rough color sketch

---

Name: Seelvee.
Species: Dryad.
Sex: Female.
Height: 180 feet.
Hair: Long and dark green, covered in leaves of the same colour.
Eye colour: Azure.
Predation:] Opportunistic

Last edited by Feadraug on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:49 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 3:34 pm

you are a god in terms of making chars
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:08 pm

A god? Nah, I think I need a bit more for that, but I admit I like to give my characters - no wonder where they belong too - as many details as possible to at least make them decent, not plain charas you'll forget in five minutes or less.

Thank you very much for coming around and leaving a comment. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 3:04 am

This is a great bio ! There is several idea I like very much here, such as the limb stretching illusion or the polyglot idea Razz
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 4:28 am

Thanks!

What I like from the polyglot part is how Seelvee has got to know those languages: by letting her future morsels live a bit longer, enough to learn the basics, before she swallows them. Laughing The stretching illusion came to my mind because I thought that, as a dryad, she doesn't have good mobility, so she had to make it up with something. Her actual stretching isn't that big, but combined with illusions, it works wonders. lol!
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 7:03 am

Feadraug wrote:
A god? Nah, I think I need a bit more for that, but I admit I like to give my characters - no wonder where they belong too - as many details as possible to at least make them decent, not plain charas you'll forget in five minutes or less.

Thank you very much for coming around and leaving a comment. ^_^

no problem but u are too humble, it's some amazing char's^^
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 9:42 am

Not being humble, actually. What I think is that no matter how good you can do, you can be better with time. Call me a perfectionist, that's the way we are in my family. xD

So that's why I can't consider myself 'God of characters' or something like it - that and the fact none of my characters are considered 'official', just original Felaryan characters.

Still, I hope to come with more ideas soon. I still have to polish something about a certain rumor I posted some time ago in the rumors' thread. It'll be my first submission that isn't a character. xD
Back to top Go down
Tankmasterxyz
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Tankmasterxyz

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 3:32 pm

very interesting characters. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://tankmasterxyz.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 12:39 pm

*sigh* I should have been working on the fungi people - still not named properly -, but anyway... Here's another character. :V

NOTE: This character will be redone to be less of a stereotype, many things will change in the following days, and feedback is more than welcome.

NOTE2: This character never existed, move along, please. xD

Name: Malicia (formerly Malicia Skooria).
Nickname: The Skull Lady (due to the shape of her mask).

Species: Dridder.
Birthplace: Dridder forest, but her current home is a cave deep in the Bulvon Wood.
Height: 75 ft.
Weight: She doesn't want it to be known, but you can guess it's more than 100 tons.

Dislikes: Nearly any other beings, but specially humans, nagas, fairies and her own familiy.

Abilities

- Knitting and crafting: This is part of her dridder heritage and the very few things she learned before being casted away. Only evidences of this seem to be her mask, gloves and necklace, though actually she spends some time making other objects for her own interest and as ornaments for her solitary cave.

- Faery magic resistance: It isn't know how she even adquired this, but Malicia shows some resistance against the magic used by fairies. She hasn't bothered herself in finding out this: she just finds it useful, that's all that matters for her.

Pyshical description

Malicia's human part has a pale skin with some little scars. She has long dark hair, red eyes and slightly pointed ears.

The most notable thing is that despite being naked, the upper half of her face is covered by half of a human skull-shaped mask made by herself, while her arms are never seen without their long black silk - her own silk - gloves with silver spider-web motif on them and their fingertips ending in sharpen, obsidian nails. These are the only injuries she hides from others, these acid-burnt parts that work as a reminder of her past. She also wears a necklace made of skulls of humans and fairies.

Her spider part isn't that different from those of other dridders. The spider abdomen is dark purple, like her eight legs. The only thing that characterizes this part is the skull pattern on the top of it.

Compared with other dridders, Malicia is quite weak, which was something that marked her past, her present and possibly her future.

Personality

Malicia suffers of some strange disorder that makes her have some kind of split personality.

She loves torturing and teasing her prey in many ways, but specially by inflicting pain on them. But due to her past experiences, she somehow has developed a liking for being hurt as well by her victims when they try to escape from her silk grip. This has helped in developing a sadomasochistic side. When in this mood, she's a talkative - with quite a dirty tongue - and crazy dridder.

But when her sadomasochistic frenzy is overl, Malicia loves solitude over anything. She's also an egoistic individual and will always try to stay alone. She mistrusts nearly everything and everyone, only being sure of herself in surviving this world and trying to find her own inner peace. However, as long as she keeps torturing and getting hurt, it'll be a long way before she can reach some kind of harmony.

Feeding habits

Being a weak dridder, Malicia rarely captures similar-sized beings, except if they are giant fairies - she tried once with nagas and not a masochist like her could endure the pain she went through. Instead, she prefers to capture smaller beings, either trapping them in her webs, carefully placed in her cave or by catching them by herself, either by poisoning or snatching them in a dark silk grip.

Even if she has tasted neko and elven flesh, she prefers human and small fairies. This comes more from a desire of vengeance from her past than anything else.

When with her future meal, Malicia tends to make them feel bad and insignificant, hurting them with her obsidian nails and nibbling careful, just make them feel the pain and preparing them for the acids in her stomach. Sometimes the morsels will try to fight back, and Malicia will contemplate their efforts and enjoy the pain they cause to her.

Once she's tired of playing and torturing, she'll taste them and then swallow them whole. This 'swallowing whole', however, is quite a recent practice. In the past, she bit her victims' head off and after swallowing the body, she proceed to clean the severed head and finally add the skull to her necklace. She finally dropped this practice when she accidentally swallowed a human without decapitiating him and found the kicks in her stomach arousing.

Background story

Malicia's life has never been an easy one. Her own story may give you an idea of it...

She was born as a very weak dridder, even her own birth could have cost her life. Being a member of the Skooria clan in the Dridder Forest, she was supposed to value strength over any other things. Being a weak dridder, Malicia had many problems trying to be accepted by the rest of her family, who continuously despised her and gave her the most annoying homework to do. Still, Malicia had the chance to learn of the craftmanship traditions of her clan, as it was the only thing she seemed able to do properly, at least from the point of view of her family.

The patience of her clan members, seeing that Malicia didn't prove to have gained any strength to really represent their family, finally came to an end, specially as rumors about Malicia's weakness began to spread. One night, during a clan meeting they wanted to clean their name. The clan members attacked Malicia, badly injuring her and one of them even used acidic fluids on Malicia. Humiliated, hurt and burnt, Malicia still could leave. The clan was confident in the perils of the own forest to finish their work off.

But it didn't work as they expected. She was weak, but Malicia was smart enough to survive all her journey out of the Dridder Forest and beyond. Her quest for a new home lasted years, years in which she began to hate the world around her, as her burnt skin brought disgust, fear, mockery and hate to those who looked at her, specially humans, fairies and the dridders' natural enemies, nagas.

After years of wandering, Malicia found a cave deep in the Bulvon Wood she took as her own home. Looking at her reflection in the cave's lake, Malicia decided to finally give her life a new turn...

... And so we got the current dridder known as Malicia. She's dropped her clan name and with a new look, Malicia, The Skull Lady, begins her new life.

Miscellaneous data

None yet.

Last edited by Feadraug on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:00 pm

...okay, I have to respond to the above bio for "The Skull Lady"

First of all, aren't we done going out of our ways to make dridders the arch-villains of Felarya yet? I mean, with the exception of Zoekin's Asly, Moonlight-pendant's Violet, and maybe a handful of others, dridders are always made out to be savage, scheming, torturous, evil beings who hate all things good and right in the world and kick puppies and kittens in their spare time...when they aren't busy killing poor innocent nagas, of course. Its a horribly overused sterotype and it is just giving the race a bad name. Just because nagas have become the "hero race" of Felarya doesn't mean that dridders are automatically the villains just because they dont like them.

I know ts easy to portray a spider as evil and mean, with sooooooooo many people being needlessly afraid of them and all, but they are NOT all evil. Look at the humble Jumping spider. its adorable. all it wants to do is jump around and eat bugs....not plot to kill and commit evil. The fact is...we get it, nagas are generally considered "heroes" since Crisis is one, and most nagas are good and decent. that is no excuse to make every villain a dridder who's goal in life is to do evil for no apparent reason other than being half spider.

I mean, if you're fully intent on making a dridder villain..at least try to make them interesting and unique and not completely one dimensional. The fact is, even if this woman wasn't a dridder...she would still be a HORRENDOUS cliche'. I mean, her name is MALICIA (an obvious variant of the word Malicious) and she wears a giant skull on her head! which is essentially a giant sign saying "Mwahahahaha, Im so EVIL!!!!"

Okay, as for her abilites...the knitting isnt anything special. all dridder can do it. Violet even makes T-shirts.

as for the resistance to fairy magic...I dont see the point. it isnt like a fairy could ever shrink her, since she's 75ft tall and fairies cannon generally shrink anything larger than 12ft tall.

Now her appearace...pale skin, red eyes and pointy ears...there's so many evil cliche's right there. She essentially looks lik every vampiric character ever made. The black gloves and skull necklace also seem a little over the top...its like she's following a "how to dress like an evil stereotype" instruction manual.

.......and she has a skull pattern on her spider half. Dude, you WERE following the "how to dress like an evil stereotype" instruction manual...weren't you?

As for her personality...its disturbing to say the least. its like you tried to make the most evil, sadistic character imagineable. she enjoys hurting others and tortures her prey for no reason. She has no redeeming qualities of any kind. It is like you took the stereotype of dridders being cruel and torturous and complete blew it out of proportions. Her personalily is even more unlikable than Elle's and makes her look like Rin by comparison.

As for her story...I find it hard to believe that her parents and clan would treat her so harshly just for being weak. Dridders are not exactly known for their physical strength to begin with and usually rely more on their wits and traps. her whole family and clan is yet another stereotype of evil dridders who only value strength and act like savage assholes to everyone.

You give no reason why humans and fairies in particular laughed at her so much. its like you just decided to single out these races for the hell of it.

The fact is...Malicia and her entire family is one big stereotype and they portray dridders in a terrible light. It makes them seem like they are savage, petty monsters who only value strength and the ability to kill things. I find her hatred of nagas, humans and fairies to be completely unfounded. if anything, she should hate dridders, since the abused her, mistreated her, abandoned her and BURNT her with ACID. To me, it just seems like you went out of your way to make an overly evil character...and I honestly cant see where she could do any good for the world of Felarya.

I dont mean to be harsh, but the stereotypes about dridders being evil really bug me. there's no need for that. NO race in Felarya is evil. I mean, even DEMONS are fairly nice and have friends in Felarya. I mean, they're DEMONS from HELL. there is no reason why dridders should be portrayed in such one dimensional way.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 pm

First of all, thank you very much for the feedback.

Maybe I rushed it a bit and went to the evil twisted stereotype. Which is, of course, bad. I fell in a newbie mistake there, truth to be told. I wanted something twisted and fresh but I got with the stereotype without even noticing. Where I thought I had done well with the other two characters, I totally messed it up with this one.

Anyway, I had been thinking of it and directly remove her bio... either that or totally redo the whole idea. I don't know what you think... because, obviously, I want to improve myself, so if redoing the dridder or maybe deleting her will help, that's what I need to get clear. scratch
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Feadraug wrote:
First of all, thank you very much for the feedback.

Maybe I rushed it a bit and went to the evil twisted stereotype. Which is, of course, bad. I fell in a newbie mistake there, truth to be told. I wanted something twisted and fresh but I got with the stereotype without even noticing. Where I thought I had done well with the other two characters, I totally messed it up with this one.

Anyway, I had been thinking of it and directly remove her bio... either that or totally redo the whole idea. I don't know what you think... because, obviously, I want to improve myself, so if redoing the dridder or maybe deleting her will help, that's what I need to get clear. scratch

Well, Im glad you are taking it well. I havent had any issues with your other characters so far ^^. THis dridder just seems like a complete stereotype to me. I really dont want to be harsh, but she kind of deserved it. You dont need to delete her bio. there are probably some good ideas in there that you could draw out and refine.

Twisted characters can be amazing (look at the Joker) but they need to be interesting and unique. Malicia just seemed like every evil cliche thrown together. Dont give up on her, but maybe tweak aspects of her. I think there is potential, but I just dont want to see the "evil dridder" stereotype spread more. Its already too prevalent as it is and the whole species is suffereing because of it.

like I said, dont give up, man. You've seemed like a nice enough guy so far, and your other ideas have been fine ^_^

(I really hope I didnt come off as an asshole, I really just wanted to help)
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:26 pm

I really appreciate feedback and I don't think you're an asshole, but a lot of help. You've really helped me to see that I went for the stereotype instead of being original. Some people just don't like their stuff to be criticized, but I don't mind as long as it helps. And pointing the flaws sure helps a lot, you can see where you failed so you can think of improving it or replacing it with something better.

I have to admit that with the other two characters I was simple but effective, and here I just tried to make something complex and... oh well, it turned to be a bit of a disappointment.

About the name - didn't mention that before -, yes, I just combined Alicia and Malicious and there it goes. I should have been way more original than that. Razz But I can go for something new as I'll rethink of the character. Yes, I should remove the acid part and the skulls, to begin with - and there are more things to do.

I'll have to re-read the whole thing again and redo many parts, although I like the idea of the outcast - or maybe just a travelling dridder, no hatred from her family at all, who has settled in that cave and makes ornaments just because she's bored.

Also, thinking of it, you're right: the villain role in dridders shouldn't expand that much anymore. And the solitary character is also overused. Maybe she won't be a twisted character anymore, but if I have to sacrifice it for making her unique, I welcome it.

Once again, thank you very much for your feeback.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:48 pm

Im glad you appreciate criticism and feedback.

Yeah, making a pointless villain is easy...but to make a great one, that takes a lot of effort and is a lot harder to do. I do agree that there should be some villain chaacters, since Im sure not every one Felarya is kind and caring. Its nice that you tried for more complexity with her. Complexity is good, and to be honest, there need to be more really complex characters in Felarya. It lets you dipict a character in more than one dimension and lets you give them a complex set of morals, rules and values. On the other hand, making a good complex character can be difficult. From my experiance, making any kind of character is a lot of trial and error and editing. I know Fiona has been through at least 4 distinct phases since her creation, and im sure I'll think of more minor things to change here and there.

To be fair, Malicia isnt that bad of a name...but for an evil character, its almost like naming your character Dr. Evil. You kind of know what they're like from their names. this is fine for a simple character, but if you really want to make her complex...I'd go for something else. Maybe look up the meanings of a few names, sites like www.thinkbabynames.com (and a few similar ones) are good for this. I know most of my character's names have a second meaning, for exapmle, Raina means "wise gaurdian" and Raina is a healer, and helps people who are in trouble, or another of my characters, Renita means "resistance" and Renita is a stubborn, fairly prideful character. To be fair, I always feel that finding a good name is one of the hardest parts of making a character.

The idea of an outcast is a perfectly fine idea, and dont abandon it just because of me. Being a loner or outcast is suited for some dridders, since spiders are generally solitary by nature. Her changes and backstory are up to you, but dont abandon all of your ideas because of me. Im just trying to help ^_^. Good luck
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 pm

That web will come handy, thank you! The most interesting thing is that I found Kyria in their data base... a variant of the Greek Kyra meaning "lady". xD

Also, I'll just replace some ideas and keep others. I really like the outcast part, but maybe I shouldn't make it too violent... or maybe she'll decide to become an outcast... I still have to work on those things.

I still have to think on many things, though... See what works, what doesn't... Hard work comes for more complex characters. I still don't know how simple characters can be effective, but less I know of more complicated ones being successful. But now that I think of it, I should have done the same like I did with Kyria and Seelvee: first present this character in the characters thread and then make the big nice version here.

In any case, feedback would come sooner or later. Razz
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 1:53 am

Well I kinda agree on the last bio.. when I read the name "Malicia" I thought : oh here come a dridder ^_^;
Compared to your others bios it could use more work I think ^^
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 5:21 am

That's why I appreciate feedback, to know where I fail and then correct it. Some people don't like others to tell them where they've done wrong, but I do like it. The key is improving and practising and listening to others when you don't know where you failed. Razz

Also, Karbo... The other two were simple characters, even if they had their unique features. That was why they look better, they were easier to make. xD
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 5:38 pm

I might be updating this profile, but for now, this is the actual dridder 'made by Draug' you'll find. Forget the failure one. This might be a bit simple, but it's not a sinister walking stereotype...Razz

I'm also thinking of writing a story about her as well, as an introduction to this character. Oh well, I have to think of it.

Now on with the bio!

---

Name: Nanda Korian.
Nickname: The traveller.

Species: Wandering dridder.
Birthplace: The Dridder Forest. Her current home is a cave in the Bulvon Wood she mainly uses for meditation, as Nanda likes to move around.
Height: 95 feet.
Weight: She doesn't want to talk about it, but you can guess it's something around 120 tons - or less.

Likes: Travelling, meditation, knitting & weaving, collecting souvenirs.
Dislikes: Nagas.

Predation: Reluctant

Abilities

- Scout: Being one of the finest scouts in her clan, Nanda has exercised her legs for a long time, making her a fast dridder and an excellent climber to compensate for her lack of strength. She's also good at stealth, but her size can be a problem, specially when climbing trees. But not only her speed and stealth skills are those of a scout. Her survival also depends on outsmarting her competitors and foes, something a scout has to be an expert on as well... that and being quite lucky.

- Test of tasters: More than an ability itself, it's a curious fact. So to speak: she relates tastes with places. If she's tasted something from a certain place, she'll know where what she's eating is from the same place something she ate before or another one. It isn't like they all taste the same, but they have something that tells Nanda where they come from. This applies to both normal food and sentient prey.

Pyshical description

Although Nanda was born with pale skin, due to her journeys now she sports tan skin, which combined with her long dark hair and brown eyes - some could say it's a strange combination for a dridder - gives her a bit of a latina look rather than a sinister one. Her lower part is obviously that of a spider, in a dark grey colour scheme.

Looking at her constitution, she is slim and on the weak side, strength-wise, but her legs are strong enough to endure long walks and runs thanks to her training.

She doesn't have a specific attire of sorts. She can go naked or be wearing a bra or shirt or bandana or gloves... or whatever, but always made of her very own silk or with clothes she migh find. Even if she is a wandering dridder, she has some knowledge on weaving and knitting.

Personality

Nanda is a very curious dridder. It isn't that usual in her kind, but the boredom caused by not leaving the Dridder Forest's limits and her longing for visiting new places made her like this. She won't hesitate in discovering anything new and examining it if she has the chance. Meeting new people - either if they end up in her stomach or not - is something she loves... and meeting old friends to exchange new experiences and good memories is another thing Nanda is always looking forward to.

When she isn't out there letting her curiosity lead her, Nanda likes to rest calmly. She does so through meditation, which helps her to gain some focus, which is very important when you are both a traveller and a scout. She also likes knitting and weaving, favourite hobby aside from visiting other places and collecting souvenirs. All the wearable gear Nanda has is handmade and she's proud of it.

As many other dridders, she isn't in good terms with nagas. Her dislike towards nagas is obviously part of her education in the clan. And her past experience with them in some of her journeys have caused this feeling to grow, but never becoming the usual hatred that's so characteristic in others dridders. When she knows a naga is around, she'll try to avoid any contact and either leave or spy until they're gone. Will there be a day a naga and Nanda will meet face to face? And what will happen?

Feeding habits

Nanda's diet is quite varied: fruits, vegetables and meat. And about the meat part, since she isn't as strong as other dridders, Nanda can't feed herself with large preys, as she can't keep them in her spiderweb for long before they break free. For that, she goes for small morsels, prefering those she can swallow whole... and not using her poison on them - they taste bad if they're poisoned.

Depending on her mood, she may or may not play with her victim with her hands and in her mouth, but one thing is for sure: if you're exotic and sentient, you'll live longer and even leave if you don't end up in her menu. If Nanda's prey is from a place she hasn't visited yet in Felarya or people from other worlds, Nanda will spend her time talking with such individual for a long time until either hunger strikes or her curiosity is satisfied. It also depends on whether she was thinking of eating or not, but she rarely thinks with her stomach first and many have come back to speak good things of her.

Although she cares about the size of the prey, she doesn't mind its kind. She's eaten several kinds of little animals, and as for humanoids, she's tasted nearly everything in Felarya. It is also said she even once ate a fairy that wasn't fast enough to escape... and she couldn't use her size shifting because her wings ended badly injured inside Nanda's mouth. Nanda, on the other hand, hasn't said anything to prove this wrong.

Background story

Nanda was born in the Korian clan, quite known for its warriors, but from the very beginning it was clear that she was a pretty weak dridder. Despite that, she still could find her place in the clan as a scout.

She learnt the arts of scouting from her aunt Tessa, who has been in charge of scouts for decades. She trained Nanda and assigned her several tasks to improve her skills. Some of such tasks took Nanda to the limits of the Dridder Forest and a bit further, knowing a spec of a world she hadn't been aware of in all her life.

Her curiosity and questions about other places in Felarya made her dreaming of exploring the outside world. She was bored of not leaving the limits of the forest and asked her elders for exploring the world beyond it. Her clan didn't approve of this in the beginning, but thinking of it further and thanks to Tessa's suggestions, it was decided that Nanda's dreams of exploring could be of some profit to the clan: they'd have member of the Korians as a contact with the outer limits of the Dridder Forest. They finally let her go, with the condition that she should come back every year to report of her discoveries.

Nanda has never failed to this deal. In her journeys, she's established something like a new home at the Bulvon wood - she seems to have a good relationship with the Bolas dridders there, having many things in common -, and enjoyed visiting other places. And she's still looking for new sights, new people... and new flavors.

Miscellaneous data

Nothing yet.

---

Name: Nanda Korian.
Species: Wandering dridder.
Sex: Female.
Size: 95 feet.
Hair colour: Dark.
Eye colour: Brown.
Skin colour: Taned (formerly pale).
Abdomen colour: Dark grey.
Predation: Reluctant

Last edited by Feadraug on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:12 pm

man. When you do something, you really do it^^
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Well, thank you. But actually, this character comes from a failed one. I just took the feedback and then thought of how to improve the character. I kept some things, refused others, modified some, got new ideas... it's been a bit of a long process, but finally came up with something interesting, even if it's a bit simple of a character.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 2:45 pm

i said it before, and i'll say it again......I think you're too humble. Its a good character man, and there's nothing wrong with improving a character after feedback^^
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:17 pm

In fact, feedback is one of the things I encourage people to do. And thanks to it, I've improved the character... or more likely, I reinvented a creepy and stereotypical character into a simple yet more attractive one.

And it's not like I'm too humble, it's just that, as I always say, there's always room for improvement. Also, when writing stories of such characters is when they really develop and people can understand them better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draug's petty characters   Draug's petty characters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Draug's petty characters
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next