Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slimetoad's randumb ideas

Go down 
+13
/Fish/
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Black Aquila
TheLightLost
Jætte_Troll
Archmage_Bael
Shady Knight
Pendragon
rcs619
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Slimetoad
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Slimetoad's randumb ideas Empty
PostSubject: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Um, hi, I'm new to this place. Been following Felarya for a while now and I thought i'd try to make something of my own for it. Not sure it even fits with the whole thing, but at least hope you guys like it Smile

Size: Variable
Threat: Depends on how far are you in their territory.
Habitat: Marshes, swamps and quagmires across Felarya, the more flooded and remote, the better. Some species are also known to inhabit ponds, lakes and streams.

Also known as Mud Folk or Mermanders, the rare Necturutl can be best described as a cross between a human and an aquatic newt or salamander. Their skin is gummy and gelatinous, with coloration ranging between rusty brown to a mottled grey to blackish blue. Their front limbs are greatly developed, with webbed hands possessing wicked, hooked claws and a strong grip. The rear limbs are flattened, and can be pressed against their immense tails to aid in swimming. In their heads, where other races would have hair they have external feathery gills, and these can be raised or lowered or even puffed up to display their mood. Even thought they make decent swimmers, they prefer to walk on the bottom, and are more active by night

Male Necturutl reach 26 feet long when fully grown, and develop long and sharp tusks to dispatch prey, but they are somewhat below human intelligence. In contrast, mature females are gigantic beings that easily measure up to 57 feet and are as intelligent as any other race, if only a bit slow-minded.

Necturutl are unusual in that they are eusocial predators. While the female remains half-submerged in the murky water, her personal harem -up to a couple dozen males- perform all the menial tasks and answer her every whim. Some may hunt for food, others clean their lady of parasites, and yet others stand on guard for danger. A favourite tactic of this race, however, is corralling their victims and leading them into seemingly safe havens, only for the massive female to burst from beneath and swallow them whole, or clamp iron-grip jaws on them. The female’s back is even ridged and porous, allowing growth of vegetation to further add camouflage to this devious trick. If prey is large enough, like an immature slug girl, the males will get their share of the kill as a reward.

Reproduction among the Mud Folk is a regular activity, with females favouring the strongest and most obedient drones of their harem, even though all of them will get to mate. Eggs are laid in large, gelatinous clutches, but Necturutl don’t care much about their young. The tadpole-like hatchlings are already able to take care of themselves, and those that survive their first weeks of life spend time as solitary hunters until adulthood, in which females release pheromones to attract her future drones.

Female Necturutl are known to make business in occasion by selling some of her drones –or male offspring- as slaves, but in general they are affectionate towards their men, and treat them as beloved, pampered pets.

If claws and teeth aren’t enough to deter opponents, Necturutl can regurgitate irritating poison from glands in their chest in a fine stream, aiming at the eyes and mouth if possible.

Last edited by Slimetoad on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:46 am

Diplotaurs

Closely related to the Chilotaur race, Diplotaurs are easily differentiated by being half- giant millipede, rather than centipede. Larger on average than most Chilotaurs, with thickly armored bodies, and brightly coloured, these creatures appear fairly threatening, but in reality they are a race of gentle vegetarians, preferring to snack on plant matter and giant fungi.

Diplotaurs have little predators of their own, but if they feel in danger, they coil their bodies in a nigh-impenetrable spiral and begin exuding a bright yellow gunk. This compound, which smells of sulfur and tastes horribly, is in many species a mere deterrant for would-be-predators, but in some variants it is one of the most toxic substances in Felarya, making many of the giant races violently and gravely ill, and downright killing smaller creatures.

Being clumsy and lonely by nature, a Diplotaur feels uneasy among smaller, more agile creatures, and may even appear intimidated if these are in large groups

Tummites

Dark red, shelled, round mite-like bugs with pin-prick eyes that range from the size of a human fist to that of a melon. Have eigh short scuttling legs and a circular, toothless mouth. A Tummite voluntarily seeks out giant races and entices them to swallow it whole with an intense, pleasant smell. Once there, the critter will spend the remainder of its existence living in the stomach and intestines of the host, surviving off minute amounts of digested food and other parasites. Their hard shells allow them to survive even the strongest stomach acids, and their eggs are passed on to the outside through the host's feces

Tummites are completely harmless to their hosts, but sometimes multiply to the level of infestation, which may cause discomfort
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 2:21 am

Slimetoad wrote:
Um, hi, I'm new to this place. Been following Felarya for a while now and I thought i'd try to make something of my own for it. Not sure it even fits with the whole thing, but at least hope you guys like it Smile
Welcome!
It's good to see more contributors.

Slimetoad wrote:
Necturutl
Well this seems very thought out. I can't see anything obviously wrong with it.

Quote :
Diplotaurs
I like this, especially the name, it's fitting.
Not too sure about being them bigger than chilotaurs on average, but that's not a huge complaint. As for their defensive mechanism, I don't think that should be for all Diplotaurs, rather one or two subspecies.

Quote :
Tummites
Interesting. The infestation level may/should have some detrimental effects I imagine. But apart from that this seems fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 2:24 am

I know, that's why i said "some variants" : P

Thanks anyway, I was worried this would be too overboard
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 7:03 am

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/f/raptor.png/

The awkward looking Mokarrans, collectively known as Hammeraptors, are among the more successful predatory groups in Felarya’s local fauna, filling a similar niche to that of wolves or big cats in more conventional worlds.

With typical specimens ranging from waist-size to only slightly bigger than humans or nekos, mokarrans are low in the food chain. They are often preyed upon by much larger predators, including the giant races, while they in turn hunt small herbivores or any other creature they can catch. However they make up for it not only by sheer numbers, but with cunning. Mokarrans are very intelligent hunters, able to formulate relatively complex attack strategies, combining the effort of the whole pack at the right time to bring down large herbivores or even other, bigger predators if they’re lucky. They are skilled at ambushing prey, lurking in the tall grass until the right chance to pounce arrives. Add to that an impressive agility, foot-claws and serrated teeth, and they make a credible threat when in groups.

Hammeraptor packs are lead by a single alpha male, who exerts his dominance over the rest of the group. They breed relatively often, and keep large nest-dens where the females tend to the young, with low-ranking pack members guarding at all times. The family is extremely adapted to survive in almost ny environment, and it is rare to see a place in Felarya that doesn’t have a species running around.

They are primarily nocturnal, hiding by day to escape the eyes of the giant races.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 4:21 am

Blattlings

Half-human, half cockroach creatures, the race of the Blattlings is one many others tend to view as lowly, but the fact remains that they're highly adaptable beings and the most prolific insectoids in Felarya, known to form crude villages near human or neko settlements and feeding off their refuse

A Blattling stands 6 or 7 feet in height, with a broad , flattened body in a permanently hunched posture. In contrast to the segmented plating in their backs and their chitinous "hoods", the rest of their body is surprisingly human-like, with shiny, metallic-looking skin that varies from reddish brown to golden or jet black. Enormous antennae poke from their heads and tend to drag on the ground as they move. Females are slightly larger and stockier, with a bigger abdomen to make room for the eggs.

Blattings are an extremely weedy race, preyed upon by nearly everything -mantoids in particular, who enjoy their "crunchyness"- and are painfully aware of it. Not only they reproduce constantly and lay dozens and dozens of eggs, but the race as a whole is shy and panicky by nature. Quck reflexes allow them to dart away with impressive speed at the first sign of danger, and with their flat bodies they can hide in cracks or squeeze out of tight places where no other race can follow. These traits make Blattlings popularly associated with cowardice, even though they will viciously fight to the last breath once they're finally cornered.

They are notorious scavengers, and can virtually eat anything organic, with a particular fondness for sugary treats and wood. They absolutely abhor sunlight, and insist on referring to it as "Burn" or any variation thereof

Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 2:52 am

Litter Sharks

A family of medium-to-large sized rodents resembling naked mole rats with elongated bodies, gnarly incisors and sensitive tendrils around their nostrils, like star-nosed moles. Irritable and voracious, they "swim" through leaf litter and loose soil as if it were water and chase after everything that seems remotely edible, thought high and loud sounds will frighten them away. One species, the Startling Burrow-rat, even remains sedentary and create a tunnel and doorway from hardened mucus, in the manner of trap-door spiders

One of the main predators of squirrels.

Grim Hermit

Chicken-sized, orange land crabs that scavenge a living in jungles and forests. Compelled to find protection for their soft abdomens, they specially favor discarded skulls and bones from larger creatures. It is not uncommon to see a human or neko skull scuttle around on armored legs as you explore the wilderness.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 12:48 pm

that's some interesting and well described ideas here ^^ I will follow that thread closely Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 1:53 am

I didn't think they were that great, but thanks, that means a lot Very Happy

Great Heroniyon

An elegant, beautiful bird easily 40 feet tall, resembling a crane or heron with shimmering silver feathers, large gem-like eyes, a ridiculously long neck and beak, and light purple legs with an almost velvety texture. Inhabiting swamps and rivers, these wading titans feed on everything they can catch in the water, almost silent except for their ocassional, melodious gong-like call

They are more often seen in their infant stage, rhino-sized featherless chicks that actively swim after prey with webbed feet and paddle-like wings.

Screamer Gullet

A short, stout palm tree-like plant with bright green flowers between its leaves. Once an unsupsecting victim approaches enough, said flowers will let out a piercing, ear-splitting whine that is well above the pain threshold of most creatures. While the victim writhes in agony, the Gullet will inmediately rush to it and swallow it whole with a maw that makes up most of the plant's "trunk". Known to sometimes shake in random intervals at the presence of food, as it "excited" about it.

Shogguin

A common sight in the Frost Peak, they resemble eyeless penguins, around 3 feet long, with white-greyish coloration and serrated beaks. In spite of their clumsy, even harmless look Shogguins are aggresive carnivores that won't miss any chance to get fresh meat, and have been the cause of many human expeditions never returning home. Even so, they're common game for other creatures in the mountain. They posess a heat-seeking organ in their foreheads to pin-point localization of food.

Amemait

Titanic freshwater predators resembling crocodiles with thick manes and spotted fur. Spending most of the daylight hours sleeping, they make terrifying ambush hunters, and their apparent bulkyness hides an impressive speed and a cruel, never-let go determination. They typically live in small groups of one male and three or four females with their young. Males will viciously fght to take on these harems, and their brawls raise enormous waves and hellish rackets in the rivers they inhabit. Even the giant races know to stay away from their territory in such a time.

Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 5:24 am

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/i/poko.png/

Poko Leko

Poko Lekos appear to resemble great apes , but closer inspection reveals fairly strange creatures even for Felarya's standards. Their bodies are covered in feather-like fur, dark mauve in color. Their faces are bony and somewhere between skull and pug-like, gnashing with flat teeth and protuding tusks. And to top it all, they have horns resembling those of musk oxen, which in males can grow very large and spiraled

They're gluttonous beasts, wandering around in small family groups consuming all manners of food, fruits above all. They're smarter than monkeys, and even have a language of sorts, though it's little else but variations of a call reminiscent of a cow calf's.

A Poko Leko is rarely confrontational, but if directly threatened it becomes a force to be reckoned with, a bellowng, thrashing juggernaut with a strenght that seems disproportionate even for their massive size. A simple group of three or four individuals can demolish a whole village by themselves, and become even more enraged if their young are in possible danger.

They love snacking on Dragonapples, with the ocassional Nexotl if the tree-dwellers are brave or stupid enough to face them

Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 11:39 am

Slimetoad wrote:
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/f/raptor.png/

The awkward looking Mokarrans, collectively known as Hammeraptors
Hmm.. I dunno so much about this one, the actual design looks inconvenient. Hammerheads sharks move their head from side to side constantly to get a good view of their surroundings and what's in front of them. I don't think that'd be too practical on land though.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 11:51 am

I figured they were actually telescopic and could move around instead of being stiff, just forgot to write it later o3o

Plus i forgot about the giant wolves, so i doubt they'd work anyway
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 11:58 am

These really are some nice ideas.

I especially like the Diplotaurs. They just feel like a really nice kind of cousin to the Chilotaurs. One race is really active, and hunting and moving all over. The other is pretty mellow and calm, and just wants to munch on some leaves and some fungi.

Felarya really does need a couple more herbivorous races. Not everything can be a predator.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 1:03 pm

I agree, it's a nice species ^^
only the name "diplotaur" seems maybe a little awkward.. It remind me a bit of "diplodocus"
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Milipedes are known as diplopods, just as centipedes are chilopods : p

Plus it's even more fitting
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Slimetoad wrote:
Milipedes are known as diplopods, just as centipedes are chilopods : p

Plus it's even more fitting

Yep. I think the name fits nicely ^^
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Karbo wrote:
I agree, it's a nice species ^^
only the name "diplotaur" seems maybe a little awkward.. It remind me a bit of "diplodocus"

Well the "diplo" in "diplotaur" comes from Diplopoda, the taxonomic class millipedes belong too and happens to be populated almost entirely by the many, many sub-classes, orders, families, genus and species of millipedes
Taxonomic classification chart:

Therefore, it is logical to name millipede taurs after this because this is what they are.

EDIT: Well it seems I have been beaten too it.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 1:21 am

Momrath

A large herbivore, between 18 and 26 feet long, resembling a morbidly obese pig with a tough, hairy hide like a coconut, and twisted tusks like those of a hippo, used for self-defense. Greedy and opportunistic, they will gladly eat whatever non-animal matter they stumble upon, be it plants, fruit, nuts or fungi, and won't hesitate to steal and bulk-load from other herbivores. Their hard skin and tusks serve to drive away all but the largest predators.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 10:16 am

Humming Polyp

An organism that arrived to Felarya through a dimensional rift, this creature resembles a throbbing, sickly green fungoid blob covered in boils and bumps, with multiple, purplish patches of skin appearing to be rudimentary "eyes" and a puckered "mouth" resembling a sphincter. It keeps itself afloat through a set of several gas-filled bladdes, which constantly come and go from its surface

Despite their disturbing appearance, Humming Polyps are harmless beings that drift lazily across the skies, apparently obtaining sustenance from magic in the ambient. Whenever great amounts of magic are used in Felarya, Polyps are expected to appear sooner or later, circling the area to suck-in stray spells. The more they feed, the larger they grow, and eventually they will burst in a cloud of green dust, scattering several ant-sized offspring all over the area.

They receive their name from the near-constant, droning hums they emit, which warp in shrill pig-like squeals if they're frightened
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 11:27 am

Alot more good ideas here, though I'm a bit winded from work today to explain specifically what I like.

Do keep up the excellent entries.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 11:50 am

Thanks Very Happy

Now something even more different!

Cobbis (Rolypup family)

Fluffy rodents the size of a small dog, resembling hamsters with large eyes and a "crest" or "mohawk" of long, erectile hairs crossing their backs. One of the more common herbivores in Felarya, they are predictably part of the diet of almost all predators in this world, and only barely make up for it with quick reflexes, a crepuscular activity, and an absurdly high birth rate. They have a ravenous craving for fruit, nuts and seeds, and will greedily hoard them in their cheek pouches at the first chance they get

Due to their social and docile, if understandably timid nature, Rolypups enjoy great popularity among human and neko populations, not just as pets, but also as a cheap and plentiful source of fur and meat.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 1:37 am

Troglodyte Snuffer

A wolf-sized salamander with blubbery pale skin and an akwardly wide and stretched head that some describe as "like a taco". The Troglodyte Snuffer, as its name indicates, is a common dweller of underground caverns, preferably flooded ones. They appear sluggish and clumsy enough, but should any creature approach to them with a light, be it a torch or even caused by bacteria, the creature will literally suck it out from its source with a void-like magic field. Victims are left in complete darkness at this point, unable to see the Snuffer charging at them with jaws wide open and rows upon rows upon rows of conical teeth
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 4:05 am

Snot Carpet

A freshwater algae, typical of damp areas, resembling a clump of stringy purple-orange spheres. Extrmely hardy, they can easily grow to carpet entire chunks of swamps or bogs, and can survive for some time away from water. Thought highly nutritious and vital in the diet of many aquatic herbivores, many land-dwelling creatures, including the giant races, tend to avoid it due to its unbearable slimyness and even worse smell

Swamp Oxen

Enormous, hairless and corpulent bovines twice the size of a rhinoceros. Their skin is greasy and splotched, like hippos or seals. Their hooves are huge and broad to be able to walk through muddy terrain, and their horns are flat and horseshoe-like. Slow and passive, most of their diet is largely composed of Snot Carpets, and can invariably be seen wherever these grow.

Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Jewel Mimic

A bull-sized terrapin-like creature with thick golden armor plating and rows of hard-as-iron actual teeth hidden underneath its adze-like beak. This devious creature can be found in the mysterious temple in Jadong Lake, and buries itself in rock and soil completely except for the top of its shell, which is hole-ridden and stuffed with treasures and relics the Mimic itself gathered. Any creature attracted by the shiny-ness, or any greedy adventurer that approaches will instead meet a grisly fate by the enormous beak-jaws.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 8:10 am

Doodlepie

Small, nearly-featureless blobs of white velvety hair, with four stubby sucker-legs and a single hollow proboscis. They can be found nearly everywhere in Felarya, clinging to trees and pecking holes in the bark to feed on their sap. Highly fertile and nearly defenseless, their only tactic against predators is to quickly retreat into small, narrow holes they themselves carve on tree trunks, making them nigh impossible to catch if they get in.

Due to their sugar-high diet, Doodlepies have extremely sweet meat, and can be made into a wide variety of desserts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slimetoad's randumb ideas   Slimetoad's randumb ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slimetoad's randumb ideas
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next