Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some new flora

Go down 
+40
Ilceren
TheLightLost
Feadraug
itsmeyouidiot
thejackle123
Sehoolighan
Anime-Junkie
tkh1304
VenomX3000
Jasconius
AisuKaiko
PrinnyDood
French snack
Saironthis
Jætte_Troll
Stabs
NewMars
Oldman40k2003
Archmage_Bael
/Fish/
Goldclaw
pirostyle
Reptillian
Malahite
Nervan
GREGOLE
Tuc135
thegreatanda
MukatKiKaarn
Googlememan
Shady Knight
melancholy-melody13
The Rev
Silent_eric
Raetsu Lord Pichu
gwadahunter2222
Ewin
Karbo
Feign
Haar
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

Some new flora - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 4:53 am

I agree with the disclaimer. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Ideas for some agricultural crops and plants harvested for food.

Carnegia

Carnegia are small species of spherical cactuses found within the Akaptor desert. They are highly adapted to desert life, requiring only a little water and that which they do need comes entirely from the minute amount of dew that accumulates on their bodies during the early morning. They are also extremely light and only a thin root system, thus even the slightest of breezes can send them rolling about the sand dunes like a tumbleweed. They are, however, capable of sending out their roots relatively quickly after being displaced, and the tumbling actually helps them to disperse their seeds which, unlike those of their cousin the sagera, are not explosive. When they are opened, their insides are revealed to be filled with hundreds of small, juicy arils. These are edible and are quite tart in flavor.

Trulps

Trulps are large potatoe-like tubers native to Felarya. They have been cultivated into dozens of varieties suited for a wide range of habitats. Farmed as an important important food crop for Negav and other Felaryian cities, its extreme hardiness and its ability to grow in a wide variety of soils makes it an ideal food source. It is also capable of rapidly growing to the size of a man within a few weeks, a relatively fast growth rate which makes it highly prized by farmers. They are typically grown in large amounts and are thus relatively cheap. This tends to make them a common food source for the poor. It's high starch content makes it relatively filling, though it lacks many of the nutrients needed for a healthy growing body.

Pixie Sticks

Pixie Sticks are hybrid of bamboo and sugar cane created through magic. One of the many work of well known agriculturist/magician Drian Fliost, its origin was in fact accidental during his unsuccessful attempt to create a faster growing, sweeter velada. Not one to miss a potential use for his work, he cultivated the resulting plant and soon dominated both the sweets and alcoholic trades within Felarya. Since then Pixie Sticks, so named after the fact that fairies seem to have a taste for them, have become an important crop in Felarya that is often sold through the off-world to other cultures, bringing much wealth to Negav and other cities in return. Its fast growth and sweet taste makes it a tasty snack as well, and it is a common treat for the smaller races.

Squoursh

Large gourd-like plants native to Felarya, squourshes are a food source for many of Felarya's smaller races. Thick skinned and containing a soft, fleshy interior, they are a cultivated crop typically grown around Negav by its many farmers. While typically only a few feet across, some are known to approach the size of a small house and beyond. Because of how large they can grow, some of the larger races will also grow this plant. Besides being used as food, they can also be hollowed out and dried in order to be used as a cheap storage container. Interestingly, some off-worlders have taken to carving out designs in squourshes and then lighting candles inside them, creating bizarre, beautiful, and sometimes spooky sights. This practice, while still small, has steadily been growing in Negav during the last few years.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Pixie sticks. I feel like that was painfully obvious that someone should have come up with something like that earlier.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 1:59 am

Is there a pun or joke behind the pixie stick ? ^^
Agriculture in Felarya is an interesting question. I imagine that some indeed takes place there but due to the lack of safe space, we might see more of it taking place off world.
Anyway those are great ideas indeed:) do you agree with the diclaimer ? ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 6:41 am

Yes I do.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Karbo wrote:
Is there a pun or joke behind the pixie stick ? ^^
Agriculture in Felarya is an interesting question. I imagine that some indeed takes place there but due to the lack of safe space, we might see more of it taking place off world.
Anyway those are great ideas indeed:) do you agree with the diclaimer ? ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixie_stick
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 3:38 am

I see XD
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:38 pm

Creeping Maw

Threat: Moderate

Nestled amongst the underbrush, many an unexperienced explorer would not give a creeping maw a second glance - not until it was too late, that is. For those who do know what to look for, they are readily recognizable as resembling an oversized venus flytrap surrounded by a tangle of roots covered in thorns. They can be found throughout Felarya and are highly adaptive, such as specimens hailing from evernight forest being pitch black in color and possessing bioluminescent maws for attracting prey while those from the jungle of perils are red like the native foliage and equipped with larger "teeth" and thorns. The most well known species (and most common), however, are leafy green in color and large enough to trap a full-grown human inside their "mouth".

Their hunting strategy is a simple one. Once food is detected via vibrations, a creeping maw will unearth self and, true to its name, slowly creep up upon its prey. When it is within range, it lunges at it and attempts to take it by surprise. If successful, it will then re-root itself and begin to digest its prey. Should they fail, however, and their prey attempts to make a run for it, the creeping maw will attempt to give chase. They are quite persistent when it comes to hunting, and are known for being rather tenacious, chasing prey for hours before eventually giving up and returning to their point of rooting. Thankfully, they are not very fast and one can quite easily outrun them.

Last edited by Jasconius on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 9:26 am

The Creeping Maw is pretty good. I like it.
Except you did make a spelling error:
Thankfully, they are not very fast and once can quite easily outrun them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
thejackle123
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
thejackle123

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:06 am

Haar wrote:

Devil's thorn:
Warning! This plant is HIGHLY dangerous!!
Appearing as no more than a small flower on a relatively long stalk, the stem of this plant is full of tiny barbs, each sharp enough to pierce skin with just a slight touch. Every barb is coated with a gel-like liquid housing hundreds of tiny seeds. When these seeds enter the bloodstream, they begin to sprout, traveling throughout the body of the infected and killing them within a few weeks when the plant takes root in the heart. Upon the death of the victim, the plant will send tendrils through the body, seeking soil for its final form. When it does reach soil, the many tendrils and sprouts it grew fall off, eventually withering away and leaving only a long, barbed stalk with a small flower on top. Many a traveler has been disturbed to come across a human skeleton with a single flower piercing the area where the heart was. Note: It has recently been discovered that the plant is very sensitive to changes in temperature during its early stages, so much so that changing the body temperature of its host even a single degree either way is often enough to kill the entire plant.
If I think up any more plants, I'll post them here.

Don't know if anyones mentioned this (I'm not going to read through all 14 pages) but one of the human immune systems most basic defenses against infections s to increase your body temperature, I'm not sure how much by - it varies - but its more than 2 degrees, this plants seeds would be no more harmful than a common cold, a more realistic tolerance would be ±5-20 degrees. A single degree is unrealistic, it wouldn't even be able to survive the day/night cycle. Though I do have some ideas to improve this, It could need the higher body temperature in order to germinate (i think this is the right term, I haven't studied biology in ages) or it could release a toxin with the seeds and live in one of the parts of felarya thats constantly night.

I think that this is a really good idea, aside from the low temperature tolerance. It's an interesting idea I've never seen before, a parasitic plant that uses it's host to reproduce, awesome,

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thejackle123
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
thejackle123

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:43 am

An Idea I come up with a while ago for those who want to be eaten.

Resurrection Tree

This is an extremely rare plant, so rare that no one knows if it actually exists or is a myth. This trees method of spreading it's seeds is rather unusual; when a sapient animal (includes humans, nagas, dridders etc. ) eats it's fruit, about the size and shape of a large kiwi - without the hairy skin - and transparent pale blue in colour, they make their way into the brain and spread small filaments making connections to the brain itself. The seeds are tough enough to survive digestion and small enough to pass into the blood stream and through the blood - brain barrier. When the host dies the seeds transfer the consciousness and soul of the being into a new body, not necessarily the same species or gender but never larger than a kensha beast and always sapient. It is said that this process works through even magic-proof stomachs, suggesting quantum entanglement as a form of communication between the seeds and the plant. The new bodies are created in large egg like pods.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 4:40 am

Mhh I think that tree is maybe a little too convenient ? ^^;
Back to top Go down
thejackle123
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
thejackle123

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Yeah, I think so too. For it too be viable there would have to be a significant downside, maybe it could increase the users magical signature making it especially easy for predators to find them. I don't imagine being eaten over and over again to be fun. I imagine it could be a good plot element for a story but it needs quite a bit of work before anyone could use it.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 12:42 pm

I think the whole resurrection is too convenient, period. Felarya has been established that any form of resurrection is impossible on Felarya.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 11:00 pm

The reign of plants is nigh. Listen to me, their prophet.

Neverlight flower

A flower considered to be related to the Neverlight Tree found in the Evernight Forest. Unlike it's tree cousin, which is primarily found in that dark forest, the Neverlight Flower is typically found outside the Evernight Forest. The Neverlight Flower exudes a haze of darkness wherever it grows. As such, the flower's appearance is unknown. Petals from the flowers are used in several magical potions involving darkness. Large patches of the flower create a field of darkness capable of hiding adult human sized creatures. The flower is cultivated by many who would seek to hide the entrance to treasure caches or safe houses in the jungle.
Due to the rarity of the flower, and the many uses for it, Neverlight Flower seeds sell at quite a high price.

There are some who think that the Neverlight Flower grows not only in bright places, but in the Evernight Forest and other dark places as well. But in dark areas, the flower's distinctive darkness aura can't be seen and therefor no one knows they are there.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
itsmeyouidiot
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Cool idea, but wouldn't stuff like ultrasound imaging give people a rough idea what the everlight flower looks like?
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 12:30 am

itsmeyouidiot wrote:
Cool idea, but wouldn't stuff like ultrasound imaging give people a rough idea what the everlight flower looks like?

Yes. Botanists know it looks like roughly like a tulip. Most people don't know however. Good call.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 pm

This concept is based on the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary.
----------------------------------

Barometz Fern

Threat: Minimal

Even by Felaryan standards, the rare barometz fern is a rather unusual plant. Resembling a large tree fern, it doesn't seem that different from most other plants... save for one detail, its fruit. Said fruit is considered so bizarre because it resembles a lamb, not only in appearance but also in habits as well! With green, leaflike skin and a covering of soft woolly cotton, it is connected to the main plant by a flexible, umbilical cord-like vine that it cannot survive without. If the connection between them is severed, the "lamb" will quickly wither away and die within a day or two while the main plant shrivels up until a new fruit grows to replace the one lost.

The main purpose of this "lamb fruit", besides carrying gourd-like seeds within its body, is to graze upon the vegetation that surrounds the main plant. Without it, the plant would quickly be overwhelmed and outcompeted by the other flora. The barometz fern is food for small herbivores, while its fruit, in a somewhat ironic twist, is considered a suitable prey for various smaller predators. The seeds within the fruit are covered in a digestive juice resistant exterior, allowing them to be spread safely throughout the jungles and forests where the barometz ferns grow.

Barometz ferns are sought out for their fruit, or more specifically, the seed casings found within them. Referred to as a bezoar pod, they are traditionally used as a potent antidote that can cure most minor poisons and alleviate the symptoms of stronger ones. Some larger predators seem to know this as well, and will eat large amounts of the fruit of these plants if they should be bitten, stung, or in some other way become poisoned.

Last edited by Jasconius on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 3:09 am

I posted this some time ago in my ideas thread, but in order to give it a bit more of visibility to the community and get feedback to improve it, I'll repost it here. Razz

---

Beausteel

Also called 'Belacero', this flower grows in many forests all over Felarya. It looks just like a regular flower, its size varying from 9 inches to 3 feet, with a dark green stem and silver gray petals. Such petals, which shine like actual silver and vaguely resemble to little swords, are pretty sharp, like edged weapons, thanks to a layer that covers them. This has served as a protection against herbivores, being a key element for the Beausteels' survival.

These petals, with the proper methods, can be turned into dust and then used in infusions and potions, as it is said they can build up a person's courage and dexterity. More rarely, some blacksmiths claim to have added Beausteel dust to their weapons for making them extremely sharp. However, no one can be sure if that's true or just another way for those blacksmiths to make themselves known.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 6:02 am

It seems odd that flower petals can be used to make blades sharper, but at least it's pretty original. You also reminded me of an idea I've been meaning to type up.

Deeper Felarya; Flora: Tree of Knowledge

Maybe it's the product of over-active imaginations, people who have seen and photographed a Tree of Knowledge, or Tok Tree as they are sometimes called, are convinced it resembles a human brain... only greener, leafier, and tree-ier. The rare trees typically stand about 30 to 40 ft (9 to 12 m) tall and bear carrot-shaped fruit about the average length of a human forearm.

The Tok's fruit is highly sought after for its alleged power to grant clairvoyance and heighten senses or "awareness" in normal people, and double a psion's abilities-- all for up to three days. The tricky part is tolerating the fruits' astoundingly bitter taste which triggers a reflex in most people to spit it out immediately. And for those who think that eating more of the fruit will grant even more power, the negative effects of excessive consumption has been well documented. Over indulgence can make one inebriated, experience hallucinations, suffer short or long term mental ill-ness, and perhaps the most grotesque side effect; develop an enlarged head. Many cultures have had to taboo the use of the fruit because of the increasing use by thieves and its abuse by Tok addicts; somewhat unsurprisingly, the side-effects are also one of the reasons the Tok fruit is so highly sought after.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 11:05 am

I like to leave the sword sharpening part as vague as possible, more of a rumor/lie than the actual properties of the flower itself...

And the idea of a Tree of Knowledge and how consuming its fruit affects people is pretty interesting. I specially dig the side-effects, a way to make you think it twice before looking for a 3-day boost in your mental skills.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Faecap

Small mushrooms that can be commonly found within both the Fairy Kingdom and the Forest of Whispers. Silvery white in color, they seem to sparkle in early dawn just as the sunlight strikes them. In actuality, these sparkles are in fact its spores. Faecaps are well known for the circles they are known to grow in, which are termed fairy rings. The reason for why these rings are called this is due to that they are well associated with fairies. When in them, fairies are known to experience an increased healing effect when it comes to repairing damaged wings, typically within half the normal time. While the reason behind this isn't exactly known, it may have something to do with the fact that these fairy rings tend to typically form only where multiple ley lines intersect. It is possible that faecaps are able to exploit this primordial magical energy and focus it within the fairy rings they form.

Glowcaps

A wide group of various mushroom species commonly found throughout the Evernight forest. While forms may vary from tiny toadstools to titanous polypores, all are instantly recognizable by their brilliant luminous glows which can vary just as much in coloration as well. They illuminate the forest with their magnificent luminescence, and at the same time are a common food source for the various insects that live there as well.

Charybdi

Threat: High to Very High

An extremely rare, extremely large subterranean fungus that can be found on Felarya. Capable of growing to sizes that are large enough to provide a threat to young and smaller giant predators, they typically instead prey upon much smaller, human-sized prey. It is very difficult to tell if one of these underground titans is nearby, though the presence of fields of tiny inch-tall orange mushroom caps can typically reveal them. Sweet smelling, these toadstools attract potential prey that, when they get too close, will step on the thin layer of flesh holding up the soil and fall through into the interior of the fungi. Once inside, it is nearly impossible to escape as not only does the opening begin to heal up, but the fungi unleashes clouds of hallucinogenic spores in order to debilitate its prey as its fleshy tendrils ensnare it. Once fully ensnared, the prey can do little but lay still as it is digested alive. Once finished, the charybdi is ready to feed again.

Thankfully, they seem to be unable to reproduce in Felarya due to some unknown factor, thus keeping them at only a handful of individuals present.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 10:01 am

I really liked those ^^

The faecap's use make sense in the fairy kingdom and the Charybdi mark the first carnivorous fungus I think :p
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 10:16 am

I have actually written the Barismond a bit earlier, which is a carnivorous fungus, albeit a very strange. I should probably rewrite it here.

Barismond

Threat: Moderate

Barismonds are a type of carnivorous fungi found in Felarya's underground. They resemble podmaws so much that they're more often called Cavemaws. Just like podmaws, they look like egg-shaped fungi hanging upside down on the ceiling of caverns. One distinguishing trait is that Barismond don't rely on a sweet scent to attract preys. In fact, they release a somewhat putrid stench. Instead, they hang down tentacles toward the ground to probe for preys. If it senses a prey, it will ensnare and pulls it back to its maw. The tentacles are easy to spot by seasoned adventurers, as they would bring a lantern, and only an absent-minded novice would fall in such a obvious trap. Unlike podmaws, cavemaws possess four spidery limbs, which allows them to crawl up any surface, provided they're not slippery. Along with the tentacles, they can also spew a cloud of spores. These spores, when inhaled, cause the victim to experience all kinds of hallucination, which makes them easier to catch.

Fire is effective against Barismonds, but something else they can't stand is cold. When hit by an ice-spell, or any low-temperature attack, their stomach compresses dramatically, which prevents them from exhaling its spores and from using their tentacles to fight stubborn preys.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Pyropuff

Large puffballs commonly found in volcanic regions of Felarya such as the Pyrale mountains. As dark as the rich soil they grow in, these fungi can grow to be nearly three feet in diameter, though are typically much smaller. Pyropuffs get their name from the fact that, when burst, they release a thick cloud of orange spores that ignites within seconds when exposed to high temperatures. While the resulting plume of fire typically lasts only a few seconds, it can still cause mild burns, especially if a larger specimen is involved in the explosion. This process is entirely necessary for the propagation of these fungi, for without the spores igniting they will be unable to grow into new pyropuffs. While rather dangerous for consumption by humans, creatures such as platinum armadillos have no problem wolfing them down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some new flora
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next