Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some new flora

Go down 
+40
Ilceren
TheLightLost
Feadraug
itsmeyouidiot
thejackle123
Sehoolighan
Anime-Junkie
tkh1304
VenomX3000
Jasconius
AisuKaiko
PrinnyDood
French snack
Saironthis
Jætte_Troll
Stabs
NewMars
Oldman40k2003
Archmage_Bael
/Fish/
Goldclaw
pirostyle
Reptillian
Malahite
Nervan
GREGOLE
Tuc135
thegreatanda
MukatKiKaarn
Googlememan
Shady Knight
melancholy-melody13
The Rev
Silent_eric
Raetsu Lord Pichu
gwadahunter2222
Ewin
Karbo
Feign
Haar
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Some new flora - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Ithymorei

Danger: Low

The Ithymorei, at first glance, appears to be a giant and colorful rafflesia. Their colors are extremely vibrant, usually red, and exude a very sweet scent. However, whenever a prey steps on its petals, they immediately close around its meal like a cage. Afterwards, the flower's stigma opens up to swallow its snack, where they end up in the plant's stomach, which is always buried underground. The process is rather slow, and preys have been able to escape if they come back to their senses fast enough. Ithymorei are rarely a threat to seasoned explorers who can recognize its scent or distinguish its unnaturally bright colors.

Saacromorei

Danger: Moderate

Saacromorei are a rare, but more dangerous cousin of the Ithymorei found only the Great Marsh. Unlike the Ithymorei, which attract preys with its colorful petals and its alluring fragrance, the Saacromorei's colors are dull and exude a putrid smell. However, the Saarcromorei blend in its surroundings, making it very difficult to locate. When a prey step on its petals, it immediately expel a cloud of noxious spores. While not lethal, when they are inhaled, they disorient its victim and disrupt even basic thought process, similar to a Confusion spell. They consume their prey just like their more colorful cousin, although the process is a little faster. Adventurers familiar with the swamp know it's best to stay away from wherever a pungent stench permeates the air.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
PrinnyDood

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 1:34 am

Oh what the heck! Plants are fun and flavorful. So I noticed that there was no floating Sargassum-like seaweed equivalent in the wiki that I could find, and it really is a handy tool to add some 'landscape' to the otherwise mostly featureless sea surface. As always, I'm terrible at coming up with names, but what can you do? xD

Vellaphim

A small, buoyant form of seaweed, dark greenish in coloration with long, slender leaves which can trail down for dozens of feet below the water, but tend to tangle together in dense knots at the surface, sometimes so thick a person could nearly stand on them without falling through. Most commonly found floating at the surface of the Topazial sea, the plant is notable because it produces a thick, misty fog in a sizable radius around itself for part of the year, for reasons botanists have yet to unravel. This has the mixed effect of making navigation more difficult, but also provides some much appreciated cover against the numerous hungry eyes of the sea.

The thick tangles of seaweed also provide shelter for numerous smaller lifeforms, from fish and crustaceans to colonies of tiny-sized mermaids. Sometimes even families of larger, human-sized mermaids will take up residence in places where the weed is especially abundant. There are even fanciful stories of rich tomthumb civilizations flourishing atop the floating 'islands', though these are most likely nothing more than fairytales.
Back to top Go down
http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:42 am

all those are great ideas and well described. Good job Smile

I'd like to add that Faecap, Vellaphim , barismond and Charybdi if their authors agree with the disclaimer ^_^
I may change the names though.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 6:25 am

I accept the disclaimer.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 7:37 pm

I accept as well.
Back to top Go down
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
PrinnyDood

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 12:37 am

Oh yes of course; the disclaimer is our friend, and I 100% agree to it! Very Happy

And I have no objections to you changing the name as you like; as I said, naming is a big weakness of mine. sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 7:44 am

Fay Cup

A species of mushroom typically found within the depths of the Fairy Kingdom. Named after the fact that its cap is concave and shaped like a cup, these fungi come in every color of the rainbow and range from only a few inches tall to over two dozen feet in height. Somewhat strangely for a fungus, fay caps are photosynthetic and grow best in well-lit regions, and even more so in areas permeated with magic. Because of their shape, many fay caps will collect rainwater over the years, providing fresh sources of water for those in need of it. These caps seem to have some magical properties, as not only do they resist rotting when wet due to the magic that permeates their flesh, but the water they collect gains rejuvenating properties, similar to that found in the Fairy Pond. This however seems to only affect those of strong magical nature. All else who drinks from them will merely feel exceptionally well refreshed.

Fairies have found many uses for these mushrooms. The more common smaller fay cups are often used, as one might expect from their name, as cups. Larger ones, however, are instead used as 'living bathtubs', and are specially cultivated for this purpose. Their sturdy nature, almost wooden-like flesh helps to prevent them from collapsing or falling apart.

Bloodcreeper Truffle

One always knows when they have come across a bloodcreeper truffle. A rare species, they can be found in forested regions, such as the Tolmeshal forest, these fungi are recognizable by the large, fleshy red 'roots' they spread over the ground, entangling everything around them. Despite their size - their creepers can often spread over dozens of feet - the vast majority of the fungus is hidden underground in the form of a giant red truffle. When unearthed, they produce a poignant, easily recognizable stench, a lure for predators. Considered a delicacy, a good sized individual, usually weighing around twenty pounds, can fetch a hefty price in places such as Negav. The one problem about acquiring them, besides their scarcity, is the fact that many of creatures other creatures, both beast and tauric, also have a taste for them, thus making truffle hunting a rather dangerous occupation for one to have in Felarya.

Last edited by Jasconius on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 7:40 am

The Fey Cup idea is good, I like the photosynthetic part, but there's something tricky with mushrooms holding water. They are normally quite soft, and the meat of the mushroom tends to rot easily when it's too moist, so, unless they have some wood-like consistence, it's be hard for them to collect water. I'm also wondering how do fairies keep them from spoiling after being cut when they use them as cups. That last part can be fixed too if you give the mushrooms a wooden nature.

The Bloodcreeper Truffle is interesting too. They would surely be hard to hide with that stench they emmit when unearthed! I'm sure some preds have developed a taste for eating both the human and the truffle they carry for extra flavour.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 8:54 am

Made the edits, and I did intend for the smell to be lure.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 4:06 am

I like the Fay cup one Razz
it's a nice idea, easy to visualize and the idea of it serving as a bathtub is amusing XD
nice job ^^
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 am

I'd like to add it if you agree with the disclaimer ^^
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 am

I agree.
Back to top Go down
McKindle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
McKindle

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Bump! Is that allowed? I didn't want to make my own idea thread as I'm generally imaginatively bankrupt.

Tetleaf Sinensis
A fairly common shrub known to grow in many locations around Felarya. Its foliage is of a dark green hue, with thin papery delicate leaves that tear apart easily. When they are harvested, the leaves are distinctly bitter and provide little to no nutritional value raw. However, when the leaves are steeped in hot water and used to brew tea they release their inherent nutrients, resulting in a profoundly revitalising drink said to encourage higher brain function. Thermoses of hot tetleaf tea are hence common fare for adventurers and the poor, helping them focus through long periods of activity. Meticulously-grown versions of the plant are also cultivated in the upper echelons of Negav society, producing exquisitely fine teas for the rich and noble.

---------

My design goals fulfilled in this plant:
  • To create a drink to be enjoyed by Felaryans alongside the numerous edible plants on the wiki
  • To recreate tea's own real-life role stemming from basic civilisations to the fine teas of today's world
  • To provide a nutrition source that would feature in the society of both the working classes and nobility
  • To create a nutrition source for adventurers with a compromise - basic preparation is required before the benefits can be gained
Back to top Go down
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 pm

I like your idea. :3 I...can't help but notice how close Tetleaf is to Tetley. Not a complaint, just a fun thing to notice. :3
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 3:11 pm

I agree with Nergal on all counts: Besides the name, it seems like a very original and useful idea. Very Happy I'll hope to use it at some point! If it improves brain function, maybe Exilon would drink some before every performance? ^.^

I wish I knew this was here earlier. I'd have posted my kaheksa idea here.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 6:59 pm

A plant that when taken in tea makes you smarter? Wow that's ironic I was just debating with my mother about wheter or not drinking tea everyday having negative side effects. Laughing I think it's a great idea! I can defiantly picture it being popular among mages and treasure hunters. Heck I imagine Sphinxes would become regulars and cultivate the stuff. o.o Even smarter Sphinxes. Now there's a thought!
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 5:31 am

I like this idea XD
Felarya does indeed need tea !
I'd like to add it if you agree with the disclaimer Razz
Back to top Go down
McKindle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
McKindle

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 am

Darth_Nergal wrote:
I like your idea. :3 I...can't help but notice how close Tetleaf is to Tetley. Not a complaint, just a fun thing to notice. :3

You got me XP Tetley's nowhere near being one of my favourite teas but I wanted something familiar in the name! I'm happy for the name to be changed if required though Smile

Karbo wrote:
I like this idea XD
Felarya does indeed need tea !
I'd like to add it if you agree with the disclaimer Razz

Oh, yes, of course I agree! Thank you very much! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some new flora   Some new flora - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some new flora
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9