Felarya

Felarya forum
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1407
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 29
Location : Fantasy Land ^_^

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:39 pm

parameciumkid wrote:
jedi-explorer wrote:
Adventurers might become an endangered species!

Erm... They're not already?
Last I checked they were in Crisis... Laughing

Lmao good one. sweatdrop I totally set myself up for that one.

Quote :
I'm personally also curious about the Predator Sense. Can it be fooled? Does it take precedence over the other senses?

If someone could turn invisible and project holographic or magical copies of him/herself to a pred, would the pred go for the copy (supposing it didn't see the person turn invisible and the copies materialize) or use its' Predator Sense to locate the real article? Is this more likely to be taken on a case-by-case basis, with preds like Crisis, who possess a highly developed Predator Sense, being able to sort through fakes and locate invisible prey, while other preds would assume the visible person is the real one and end up missing out on a snack?

I personally say it depends on how strong the predator sense is and what they're used to hunting. I mean it makes sense that the predator sense power develops as a giant grows up and learns to use it to hunt prey. After all if your pred noms humans alot then they're sense is specialized toward humans more than human sized demi-human tuariods like Ccilotuars or nagas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1589
Join date : 2008-04-07
Age : 29
Location : Hanging out with Fiona in the Bulvon Wood

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Quote :
I was under the impression Shady was right and they are considerably more rare than the art makes them out to be

That goes for all giant hybrids really. They are much less common than other hybrids (human-sized ones) and generally live quite deep into the wilderness. The average person has only a small chance of encountering any kind of giant hybrid on their journey, and doing so is generally considered a worst-case scenario. The multitude of poisonous plants, carnivorous plants, venomous reptiles and insects, as well as other 'small' to 'medium' sized wildlife are much more of a threat to the vast majority of adventurers and explorers than encountering a giant hybrid will ever be.

But they are some of the most well known species/characters in Felarya and most people want to meet/encounter them instead of Felaryan wildlife, so they are much more "common" in various art and stories than they actually are in-setting.

Quote :
They're a large number of the main characters and also kind of the flagship species of Felarya, not unlike the Space Marines of Warhammer 40k, and therefore grossly overrepresented in number because so many people used to make their own Nagas.

Pretty much this, although it has gotten a bit better over the years. Fairies and humans are the next two largest species in terms of canon characters. Still, a *lot* of other species are grossly underrepresented. A species having more main characters doesn't mean they are more common or than you are more likely to encounter them.

I think it should be remembered Felarya is a big place according to rough estimates done by myself and tangofox. See image inside of spoiler:

Spoiler:
 

**Note** This map comparison is a rough estimate done using known predator movement speeds and the timeframe of the second manga. Obviously objects on the map are not to scale, something Karbo always said. Negav for example, would be impossible to see if it was drawn at actual size.

Quote :
I'm personally also curious about the Predator Sense. Can it be fooled? Does it take precedence over the other senses?

1: Only a small number of predator species have it naturally. Nagas and Fairies being the most common ones.

2: It works by sensing the innate magical field all living things have running through them, since Felarya is saturated with the stuff.

3: In theory, anyone with a suitable level of magical skill could learn to do this... although, results will always vary.

4: The 'predator sense' is not perfect. It merely gives them a clue that someone is in the general area. It is not radar, it is not pin-point accurate. They still have to actually find you when they get close and if you are still, quiet and well-hidden, you could potentially be passed over.

5: With suitable training, mages (who show up 'brighter' on the magical sense normally) can actually learn to suppress their magical field, and become much, much harder to locate via that sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1201
Join date : 2011-11-21
Location : SPAAAAAACE

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:12 pm

I still feel like that's way too big when I look at that picture. I'm sure you're on the right track and definitely within an order of magnitude, but if anything on the map is roughly to scale, let's say the mountain ranges perhaps, then they not only dwarf the Rockies but, if the drawn size is any ballpark hint of their size relative to the range itself, are as big as Olympus Mons and consequently so massive they would (if on Earth) sink through the crust and into the mantle.
Is there a thread wherein this scale was settled upon or should I just use this one as the debate arena?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://helia.net63.net
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1407
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 29
Location : Fantasy Land ^_^

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Personaly I think that pic puts things in near-perfect if not perfect perspective. I mean the "main continiet" is rumored to be nothing more than peninsula anyway so the "real" Felarya has to be huge to have a small edge sticking out that's covered with dozens of terrains and several mountain ranges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
avatar

Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-08-08
Age : 27
Location : Various

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:39 am

I still don't believe Giant Naga's are as rare as some are saying because with the many pictures and artwork I've seen rarity doesn't seem to next to Giant Naga when looking them up. >_<
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bioshockreborn.proboards.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
avatar

Posts : 4519
Join date : 2008-01-20
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:01 am

We've told you, the artworks are NOT an accurate representation of how things are. Giants are spread out. It takes several days of travel just to get anywhere on-foot, and that's just for stuff in the general vicinity, it takes weeks and even months for where it's farther away. Pictures and artworks, 90% of the time, are fan made. Just because they focus a lot on the giant hybrids does not, in any shape or form, means that you run into them every time you travel five feet.

Can we please move on to another subject now? I feel like we're doing nothing but treading water here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
avatar

Posts : 248
Join date : 2012-08-08
Age : 27
Location : Various

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:59 am

I'm just saying is they just don't seem as a rarity is all. Alright then though what did you have in mind for something akin to a new topic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bioshockreborn.proboards.com
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
avatar

Posts : 154
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Probably in front of a screen of some sort

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:13 pm

New topic: Why doesn't necromancy work in-universe?

From an outside perspective, it might be to prevent characters from simply body-swapping if they are killed or about to die and therefore being effectively unkillable in a setting that is supposed to be treacherous for everyone, but what reason could one give as an in-universe scholar to a necromancer whose powers completely fail him within Felarya?

Do the Guardians or Gods have some role to play in this odd quirk? Is it to preserve balance then?

If I remember correctly, the undead (such as vampires) can come to Felarya and continue to exist normally, although they cannot increase their numbers without bringing more of their kind in from other worlds. So let's say an old, haunted crypt is transported to Felarya: it's loaded with mindless walking dead, and they start leaving their home and wandering the larger world. Would preds even eat near-mummified creatures? Is that another reason for the no-necromancy rule? To prevent the addition of inedible creatures?

Also, from the above situation, who would actually handle the undead in the event that the crypt didn't go away? Would some bounty or mission be issued to adventurers? Would ex-necromancers be called upon to separate the animating magics from the bodies of the zombies, wights, or liches?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stabs
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1822
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : The Coil, Miragia

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:44 pm

I say it's probably got something to do with the fact that everything heals fast, or maybe with the fact nothing dies of old age. Then again, it might have something to do with the fact that this realm has its own hell and heaven, and Hell is hungry.

So I think maybe the healing effect undermines all necromancy on the body, while the hunger of the afterlife ensnares any soul that tries to get back to the mortal coil. Can't animate the body, can't animate the soul, can't animate undead.

As for a hypothetical undead invasion scenario... most undead are destroyed by being turned into a splatter against the ground, so the predators will probably have something to say about any undead that doesn't want to run and hide. Tonorions would also challenge our preconceptions of edible or not. There's angels, too, and I'm sure they'll make an effort to stretch the definition of edible... just a little bit. If not, I'm sure the food in Hell can be worse than that.

_________________
Fais que ton rÍve soit plus long que la nuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
avatar

Posts : 157
Join date : 2008-01-31
Location : its a secret!!!

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:17 pm

Zephyr102 wrote:
New topic: Why doesn't necromancy work in-universe?

From an outside perspective, it might be to prevent characters from simply body-swapping if they are killed or about to die and therefore being effectively unkillable in a setting that is supposed to be treacherous for everyone, but what reason could one give as an in-universe scholar to a necromancer whose powers completely fail him within Felarya?

Do the Guardians or Gods have some role to play in this odd quirk? Is it to preserve balance then?

If I remember correctly, the undead (such as vampires) can come to Felarya and continue to exist normally, although they cannot increase their numbers without bringing more of their kind in from other worlds. So let's say an old, haunted crypt is transported to Felarya: it's loaded with mindless walking dead, and they start leaving their home and wandering the larger world. Would preds even eat near-mummified creatures? Is that another reason for the no-necromancy rule? To prevent the addition of inedible creatures?

Also, from the above situation, who would actually handle the undead in the event that the crypt didn't go away? Would some bounty or mission be issued to adventurers? Would ex-necromancers be called upon to separate the animating magics from the bodies of the zombies, wights, or liches?

This is a good question but we can take it a step further and say why forms of necromancy exist in Felarya when the wiki stats it doesn't, thus contradicting itself.

http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic#Necromancy

For reasons unknown, any spell involving meddling with the afterlife and calling forth a soul to inhabit a body (such as resurrection, or raising the dead) doesn't work on Felarya. A wandering spirit can still decide to possess a body on its own, or be bound to an object or a golem body, but recalling the soul from afterlife and forcing it in any way just won't work.


There was a other instance where the wiki says soil has something to do with it but I used this quote to show where there is a contradiction. The wiki makes it clear that calling a soul from the dead back into a body does not work but there is a case with cannon characters in the wiki where that does happen....

Saya has a special affection for the neko Aimi and was emotionally traumatized when she accidentally swallowed and digested her little companion in the midst of a fight with a dridder. (She didn't like dridders before this, and now she positively loathes them.) Thankfully, Kallisti showed mercy and used her great powers to give Aimi's soul a new, magical, body. As the naga and the neko learn more about the forms of magic they've been exposed to, they will become powerful protectors of all who journey with them.

http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Saya

Despite what the wiki says here is an example of many where the wiki contradicts itself. From this the character Kallisti has the power to bring people back from the dead bypassing the effect Felarya has against necromancy. I talked with Karbo about this and he refuses to change anything with these characters even through he agrees how op they are because he doesn't want to make the creators mad >__> I wont go further with Kallisti but now this brings up an interesting question. Do all over powered succubi have this ability to bring people back from the dead?

A other instance where necromancy exists in Felarya is with the undead temple guardian Xarmaroch.

Xarmaroch is an ancient cerberus who guards the treasure room on the first floor of the Mysterious temple. These beasts are normally formidable foes. However Xarmaroch has been cursed and is now bound to reform himself upon his death, again and again, and the curse prevents him from leaving the treasure chamber as well.

Xarmaroch, the cerberus in the Mysterious temple, is a interesting case, as his condition is the result of an extremely powerful curse rather than necromancy.

For some reason the says it is a curse that brings Xarmaroch back to life but isn't that a form of necromancy? All because the magic is a form of a curse it shouldn't be ignored that it has necromancy properties and it shouldn't bypass the rules with Felarya. The curse is a form of resurrection, its calling forth the soul of Xarmaroch when he is dead to revive him. What makes Curses different from regular necromancy where it can ignore the rules with Felaryan because in this case resurrection still takes place and the soul is constantly called forth back to Xarmaroch again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stabs
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1822
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : The Coil, Miragia

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Claire wrote:
This is a good question but we can take it a step further and say why forms of necromancy exist in Felarya when the wiki stats it doesn't, thus contradicting itself.

Oh, I agree.

http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic#Necromancy

For reasons unknown, any spell involving meddling with the afterlife and calling forth a soul to inhabit a body (such as resurrection, or raising the dead) doesn't work on Felarya. A wandering spirit can still decide to possess a body on its own, or be bound to an object or a golem body, but recalling the soul from afterlife and forcing it in any way just won't work.

Claire wrote:
There was a other instance where the wiki says soil has something to do with it but I used this quote to show where there is a contradiction. The wiki makes it clear that calling a soul from the dead back into a body does not work but there is a case with cannon characters in the wiki where that does happen....

Saya has a special affection for the neko Aimi and was emotionally traumatized when she accidentally swallowed and digested her little companion in the midst of a fight with a dridder. (She didn't like dridders before this, and now she positively loathes them.) Thankfully, Kallisti showed mercy and used her great powers to give Aimi's soul a new, magical, body. As the naga and the neko learn more about the forms of magic they've been exposed to, they will become powerful protectors of all who journey with them.

http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Saya

Actually, you might as well have proved it didn't. That wasn't her body- that was something else. More specifically, it was...

One day Aimi was accidentally swallowed and digested by Saya in a tragic accident, but her soul managed to reach Hell and find Kallisti on its own, a feat only possible for a soul with tremendous willpower. Kallisti was deeply impressed by both Aimi's devotion, and her love for Saya, and so she decided to restore the neko to life by binding her soul into a golem.

http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Aimi

...it was a golem.

Claire wrote:
Despite what the wiki says here is an example of many where the wiki contradicts itself. From this the character Kallisti has the power to bring people back from the dead bypassing the effect Felarya has against necromancy. I talked with Karbo about this and he refuses to change anything with these characters even through he agrees how op they are because he doesn't want to make the creators mad >__> I wont go further with Kallisti but now this brings up an interesting question. Do all over powered succubi have this ability to bring people back from the dead?

Well, this one doesn't contradict itself. I do kinda have to agree regarding X-pooch, though...

Xarmaroch is an ancient cerberus who guards the treasure room on the first floor of the Mysterious temple. These beasts are normally formidable foes. However Xarmaroch has been cursed and is now bound to reform himself upon his death, again and again, and the curse prevents him from leaving the treasure chamber as well.

Xarmaroch, the cerberus in the Mysterious temple, is a interesting case, as his condition is the result of an extremely powerful curse rather than necromancy.

Claire wrote:
For some reason the says it is a curse that brings Xarmaroch back to life but isn't that a form of necromancy? All because the magic is a form of a curse it shouldn't be ignored that it has necromancy properties and it shouldn't bypass the rules with Felarya. The curse is a form of resurrection, its calling forth the soul of Xarmaroch when he is dead to revive him. What makes Curses different from regular necromancy where it can ignore the rules with Felaryan because in this case resurrection still takes place and the soul is constantly called forth back to Xarmaroch again.

Maybe the curse isn't reforming X-pooch himself, but the curse turned him into something of a presence. Maybe his body no longer exists, and the X-pooch we're seeing is actually the manifestation of the curse, so every time it's killed, it can regenerate, as what we're destroying isn't truly alive. Meanwhile, Xarmaroch is trapped in an "I have no mouth and I must scream" scenario, being able to control only the puppet the curse respawns every time- like a boss. Like a raid boss in an MMORPG.


But you know what really makes me think? I wonder what makes 'em phantom elves tick. Now THOSE I wonder what's up with.

Phantom elves have incredible control over their soul and mind, and possess the unique ability to somehow transcend death: the soul of a deceased phantom elf can choose to re-enter its body a couple of seconds after death, healing it and reforming it in the process, effectively reviving the elf!

http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Phantom_Elves

*le problem, Karbo? Laughing

As for phantom elves, that's a bit weirder. I kinda assumed they had two souls or something, and when they switched, their bodies regenerated somewhat and the mind picked up where it left off. Then again, considering their dual nature of life and... ghostliness, maybe they are part ghost, and unless you're a ghostbuster, their ghostly part can make itself physically manifest in a matter of life and death, fixing all their vital organs in the process so the soul doesn't escape?

_________________
Fais que ton rÍve soit plus long que la nuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
avatar

Posts : 157
Join date : 2008-01-31
Location : its a secret!!!

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Stabs wrote:
Actually, you might as well have proved it didn't. That wasn't her body- that was something else. More specifically, it was...

One day Aimi was accidentally swallowed and digested by Saya in a tragic accident, but her soul managed to reach Hell and find Kallisti on its own, a feat only possible for a soul with tremendous willpower. Kallisti was deeply impressed by both Aimi's devotion, and her love for Saya, and so she decided to restore the neko to life by binding her soul into a golem.


http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Aimi

...it was a golem.

that is still a form of necromancy. Your calling forth someones soul, bringing someone back from the dead where the wiki stats you cant do that in Felarya. All because she is not in her original body should not negate the rule with necromancy. If she was originally a wondering spirit I would agree with you but she isn't.

http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic#Necromancy

"For reasons unknown, any spell involving meddling with the afterlife and calling forth a soul to inhabit a body (such as resurrection, or raising the dead) doesn't work on Felarya. "

Kallisti was meddling with the afterlife in Felarya which shouldn't be a power Succubi have...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Claire wrote:
Kallisti was meddling with the afterlife in Felarya which shouldn't be a power Succubi have...
A Claire a advice search Kallisti's real bio and not the one into the wiki because it's a tone down version of the real one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
avatar

Posts : 4519
Join date : 2008-01-20
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Actually, the Phantom Elves make sense because, as the wiki specifies, you can't forcibly call a soul from the afterlife and bind it to a dead body. The thing with the Phantom Elves, however, is that with their resurrection shenanigans, their soul never actually departed for the afterlife to begin with, hence why they technically have a second life. That ability still has obvious flaws, not counting that it works only once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
avatar

Posts : 157
Join date : 2008-01-31
Location : its a secret!!!

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:19 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Claire wrote:
Kallisti was meddling with the afterlife in Felarya which shouldn't be a power Succubi have...
A Claire a advice search Kallisti's real bio and not the one into the wiki because it's a tone down version of the real one.

I know and that's the sad part...Shes literally a ruler of all these worlds, has all this power from all these souls she absorbed, which the wiki says dark souls are nutrition for Succubi, its not suppose to give them super powers. For some reason Crisis, the iconic character of the universe supports a world conquering Succubus and protects her cult and Anna is also friends with her (a bit out of character..) And this is suppose to be the toned down version..

http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kallisti thats her "toned" down bio if anyone is interested.

But I don't understand what this has to do with the necromancy problem I brought up earlier.

Shady Knight wrote:
Actually, the Phantom Elves make sense because, as the wiki specifies, you can't forcibly call a soul from the afterlife and bind it to a dead body. The thing with the Phantom Elves, however, is that with their resurrection shenanigans, their soul never actually departed for the afterlife to begin with, hence why they technically have a second life. That ability still has obvious flaws, not counting that it works only once.

And that is exactly what Kallisti did with Ami which is a huge contradiction...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
avatar

Posts : 260
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 25
Location : Spain

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Hmmm, well, we must keep in mind that, creatures as angels or succubi, deal with souls on daily basis, so maybe the "necromancy limitations" rule doesn't really work with them.

If we try to explain this necromancy limitation, maybe we should think about as a "barrier" between Felarya (the living world) and the under world (Hell/Heaven); considering how hard it should already be to call a soul from a realm to another, in Felarya, it is even harder.

However, succubi and angels, both creatures from the "other world", are still able to bypass this barrier, and stay in Felarya for an "x" amount of time, or even indefinitely in some cases (as in general the world rejects their presence and it's hard for them to stay if they are unable to possess someone).

If necromancer from the "living world" can't bring a soul from the death in Felarya ... maybe a creature than comes from there can simply bring one with her, since she already has the power to bypass the barrier by herself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
avatar

Posts : 157
Join date : 2008-01-31
Location : its a secret!!!

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Vaderaz wrote:
Hmmm, well, we must keep in mind that, creatures as angels or succubi, deal with souls on daily basis, so maybe the "necromancy limitations" rule doesn't really work with them.

If we try to explain this necromancy limitation, maybe we should think about as a "barrier" between Felarya (the living world) and the under world (Hell/Heaven); considering how hard it should already be to call a soul from a realm to another, in Felarya, it is even harder.

However, succubi and angels, both creatures from the "other world", are still able to bypass this barrier, and stay in Felarya for an "x" amount of time, or even indefinitely in some cases (as in general the world rejects their presence and it's hard for them to stay if they are unable to possess someone).

If necromancer from the "living world" can't bring a soul from the death in Felarya ... maybe a creature than comes from there can simply bring one with her, since she already has the power to bypass the barrier by herself.

This does make sense and I do agree with this. The problem I see tho is that Succubi as a whole race are already a bit over powered. The average Succubi is considered a master spell caster and a average fighter not to mention they have size changing and some know dimensional magic, like Dimensional succubi that can eat an entire planet and still be hungry. Also how they cant die outside of their realm and inside their own realm have god capable powers.

With all this said do we really want to give them a other ability that allows them to bring ppl back from the dead?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stabs
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1822
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : The Coil, Miragia

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Actually, you didn't need to bring up any examples. You just had to read the next sentence and you'd already have your contradiction.

For reasons unknown, any spell involving meddling with the afterlife and calling forth a soul to inhabit a body (such as resurrection, or raising the dead) doesn't work on Felarya. A wandering spirit can still decide to possess a body on its own, or be bound to an object or a golem body, but recalling the soul from afterlife and forcing it in any way just won't work.

Yup.

any spell involving calling forth a soul to inhabit a body doesn't work on Felarya.

Except that...

A wandering spirit can be bound to an object or a golem body.

Umm... Objection?

======

If you'll allow me, I'm going to go on a limb, if Aimi hadn't went wandering on her own as a spirit, she probably couldn't have been bound there. Ironic, but I guess it happened. Kallisti didn't have to call her soul, she found it wandering on its own?

As for OP... Kallisti... well, you don't know half of it. I don't really consider succubi OP myself- they're powerful, but since when is Felarya supposed to be about fair fights? Or about fights, period?

As for Xarmaroch, maybe demons don't have souls? Razz While this isn't in the wiki, I know a guy who assumed those couldn't be destroyed in Felarya- they just discorporated, and reassembled back home, then came back for seconds. Maybe he's just forced to do that over and over again without leaving the chamber?

_________________
Fais que ton rÍve soit plus long que la nuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
avatar

Posts : 260
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 25
Location : Spain

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Hmmm well, there is a difference between calling a soul from the other world and using one that is already here; I guess a wandering spirit is just a souls that didn't traveled to ther "other world" yet for some "x" reason. ._.

Anyways, that succubi and angels are a bit over powered in comparison to the rest is a fact, but in a way, it is suposed to be that way and it can't be helped.
(Personaly, I'm well aware of this and I tried to be modest in succubus standarts when i developed Zycra)
Some things are just not suposed to be balanced, and removing an obvious skill just because "it makes too much" actually doesn't make sense if we think in real terms;

---

As for Xarmaroch, I agree with Stabs too, if the curse was put on him while "he was stilll alive", we can asume that he lost his body the first time he died, but his soul was forced to stay in this world and retake a physical form the same way an angel/succubus do.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
avatar

Posts : 157
Join date : 2008-01-31
Location : its a secret!!!

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Stabs wrote:
Actually, you didn't need to bring up any examples. You just had to read the next sentence and you'd already have your contradiction.

For reasons unknown, any spell involving meddling with the afterlife and calling forth a soul to inhabit a body (such as resurrection, or raising the dead) doesn't work on Felarya. A wandering spirit can still decide to possess a body on its own, or be bound to an object or a golem body, but recalling the soul from afterlife and forcing it in any way just won't work.

Yup.

any spell involving calling forth a soul to inhabit a body doesn't work on Felarya.

Except that...

A wandering spirit can be bound to an object or a golem body.

Umm... Objection?

======

If you'll allow me, I'm going to go on a limb, if Aimi hadn't went wandering on her own as a spirit, she probably couldn't have been bound there. Ironic, but I guess it happened. Kallisti didn't have to call her soul, she found it wandering on its own?

As for OP... Kallisti... well, you don't know half of it. I don't really consider succubi OP myself- they're powerful, but since when is Felarya supposed to be about fair fights? Or about fights, period?

As for Xarmaroch, maybe demons don't have souls? Razz While this isn't in the wiki, I know a guy who assumed those couldn't be destroyed in Felarya- they just discorporated, and reassembled back home, then came back for seconds. Maybe he's just forced to do that over and over again without leaving the chamber?

"One day Aimi was accidentally swallowed and digested by Saya in a tragic accident, but her soul managed to reach Hell and find Kallisti on its own, a feat only possible for a soul with tremendous willpower. Kallisti was deeply impressed by both Aimi's devotion, and her love for Saya, and so she decided to restore the neko to life by binding her soul into a golem"

From this it shows she wasn't a wondering spirit because she was sent to hell (which makes you wounder what her morals are like). That is not a wondering spirit and how she met Kallisti from will power needs better explanation I think. Kallisti bringing her back from Hell to Felarya and putting her into a new body is meddling with the afterlife.

Like I said before if she was a wondering spirit and wasn't sent to Hell in the first place I would agree with you. Here is a way it can be fixed since I been showing most of the negative things and not offering a way to fix it.

Aimi's love Saya and devotion for the cult allowed her to become a wondering spirit instead of going to the afterlife. Kallisti was impressed by Aimi's will power she was able to transfer her to a new body.

It still a bit shaky but at least its a lot more believable because it shows her being a wondering spirit.

@ stabs not believing in fair fights and Vaderaz
Vaderaz wrote:
Some things are just not suposed to be balanced, and removing an obvious skill just because "it makes too much" actually doesn't make sense if we think in real terms;

I see so you guys have no intention on balancing the world of Felarya and instead want overpowered succubi. I guess this universe should be called "Felarya- Succubi do what they want" Well I am done wasting me time then if that's the case I thought I was talking to people who wanted a better universe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
avatar

Posts : 4519
Join date : 2008-01-20
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:52 pm

I was under the impression that Kallisti wasn't even on Felarya when she crafted the golem body and binded Aimi's soul to it. Angels and succubi are supposed to be very powerful. They're ethereal beings with power and abilities beyond that of mortal ken. Their one limit is that they're rarer than rare in the mortal realm, since they have very little reason to interact with humans and such.

This is simply my reasoning, but I don't consider Kallisti, and by extension, the rest of arconius' characters to be Felaryan characters. I mean, what does he do with Felarya these days? I'm fairly sure he moved on a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
avatar

Posts : 260
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 25
Location : Spain

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Claire wrote:
I see so you guys have no intention on balancing the world of Felarya and instead want overpowered succubi. I guess this universe should be called "Felarya- Succubi do what they want" Well I am done wasting me time then if that's the case I thought I was talking to people who wanted a better universe.

Sigh *
It's not question about "wanting" , it's just that it is suposed to be like that.
I mean, not only in felarya, but every fantasy world that involves demons and angels consider them as superior powerful beings, it's the general concept!

Now, maybe, some of the people that use sucubbi characters over do it a bit, it's true, and I'm ok with having some limits stated on, but you must face that no matter what, they will still in most cases be "stronger" than mortals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1822
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : The Coil, Miragia

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Claire wrote:
I see so you guys have no intention on balancing the world of Felarya and instead want overpowered succubi. I guess this universe should be called "Felarya- Succubi do what they want" Well I am done wasting me time then if that's the case I thought I was talking to people who wanted a better universe.

This is the thread for overthinking things. If you really want a universe where succubi don't get to do what they want, go to the Angels and Succubi subforum and submit the notion of nerfing the edge off succubi to Karbo's approval.

_________________
Fais que ton rÍve soit plus long que la nuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
avatar

Posts : 154
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Probably in front of a screen of some sort

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Well now this has turned into an interesting discussion. I suppose when you have a universe made of characters and places created by many different people, contradictions in canon can and will occur.

Xarmaroch is interesting because he seems to possess a kind of immortality like that of those who drink the Hourai Elixer in the Touhou Project. He might have a soul, but the curse has bound him to one location and warped his existence to be outside the constraints of reality, rendering him completely deathless. Kind of a rule-screwer.

And as for Kallisti... wow. I'm pretty damn sure from her profile that she actually does fulfill many of the criteria for a Mary Sue, but this is not the place to talk about that, I don't think.

I wonder if it's really necessary to say "any spell involving meddling with the afterlife and calling forth a soul to inhabit a body (such as resurrection, or raising the dead) doesn't work on Felarya" when there seem to be a number of exceptions to that 'rule'. Maybe it would be better to say it's just extremely difficult to raise the dead, as in any other world. It would make things simpler, probably.

Finally, and this isn't terribly relevant, but I thought it was funny, Aimi's story reminds me heavily of the description of Kaldor Draigo from Warhammer 40,000, created by a man well known for his severe lack of writing talent and disregard for established canon. Being able to survive Hell through willpower alone is definitely odd, and that part of the story would need significantly more fleshing out.

"However, since a second confrontation with M'kar, Draigo has been cursed to a life trapped within the Warp, doomed to walk within the Realm of Chaos itself. To remain pure when constantly assailed by Chaos shows fortitude and personal strength that is beyond measure. He has undertaken many great exploits within the Warp: slaying the great Bloodthirster Kar'Voth, setting fire to the jungles of Nurgle's domain, defeating the six chosen Daemonettes of Slaanesh, the Six Sisters, and destroying the fortress of the Lord of Change M'Kachan. But while Draigo lives, he will prevail and one day, he will return." (If you know 40k lore, you understand how ridiculous this story is)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Claire wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Claire wrote:
Kallisti was meddling with the afterlife in Felarya which shouldn't be a power Succubi have...
A Claire a advice search Kallisti's real bio and not the one into the wiki because it's a tone down version of the real one.

I know and that's the sad part...Shes literally a ruler of all these worlds, has all this power from all these souls she absorbed, which the wiki says dark souls are nutrition for Succubi, its not suppose to give them super powers
I will be simple Kallisti is not really a part of Felarya but a kind of crossover betwenn Karbo's Felarya and Arconius' dominion. The character is not really bounded to the development of Felarya. She was added before the definition of angels and demons and it's up to its creator to retcon it or not. But this character doesn't belong to Felarya and youi should discuss with its owner about that.

Shady Knight wrote:
I was under the impression that Kallisti wasn't even on Felarya when she crafted the golem body and binded Aimi's soul to it.
yes indeed. The anti necromancy doesn't prevent you using necromancy outside Felarya and send your creation after.

About Xammaroch's case, I see the situation like this the demon(it was alive at this moment) was cursed to guard the place forever unfortunately curses are very literal. If it stated it's forever it means forever not until you die. In conclusion X-pooch is forced to keep this place no matter what happened in clear unless you break the curse it will always come back to fight even if if death (I will quote Goultard from wakfu "La mort est quelque chose de surfait.") because curse sucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   

Back to top Go down
 
The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Wayne Rooney [Looks like Mr Potatohead -is a total tosspot)] Thread
» Ryan Giggs (is a twat) thread.
» The Berlin Forest Boy 'Ray' (Speculative Thread!)
» Any way to move multiple topics?
» Latest/most active topics, top posters on the top of the index

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: