Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Negav Council, bio ideas

Go down 
+10
rcs619
AisuKaiko
Krisexy26
Pendragon
CauldronBorn24
Shady Knight
asaenvolk
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
Axel Hunter
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:19 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
While I do agree with your points there Zion I think the red was unnecessary. We don't want to give the wrong impression. Axel has gotten the message already.
It wasn't aimed at Axel... at least, not just him.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 pm

here a random one i think may work

Name: Mitchal Solvad
Hair color: black
Eye color: Grey
Postion: cheif of negotiations
Appreance: wears a buissness tie and suit colored grey and has grey shoes,socks and glasses.
Background: Mitchal has been the cheif Negotiator for as long as anyone can remenber. always speaks in a controled Neutral voice and always remianing clam he can Negotiate with nearly any group and reach a compromise that both parties can agree on. He was present when the deal was made between The 605th Militia and the City of Negav to end hostilites 7 years ago. On the council he helps other Magicrates ( i dont think i spelt it right) agree to make a compromise when they are divided on a issue, generaly he is well repected for ablity to talk things out.

Well that was my two cents, you can use him if you want, just throwing it out there to see how it would fit in.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Quote :
He was present when the deal was made between The 605th Militia and the City of Negav to end hostilites 7 years ago

Why would a heavily defended fortress city of 800,000, with access to offworld technology and a multiple trained military forces (between the Magiocrats and the Vishmitals) need to make any kind of deal with some small-time militia? If anyone ever tried to openly attack Negav, short of a full-sized modern army, they'd get crushed. The battlemages, for example, are trained to fight giant monsters and creatures, they could wipe out entire groups of infantry at a time. Not to mention all of the weapons emplacements along the walls. Any kind of oppsoing force would be ripped to pieces before it got close.
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

Location : In the land of nowhere, beyond the valley of somewhere, but not as far as the jungle of neither-here-nor-there....

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:49 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Quote :
He was present when the deal was made between The 605th Militia and the City of Negav to end hostilites 7 years ago

Why would a heavily defended fortress city of 800,000, with access to offworld technology and a multiple trained military forces (between the Magiocrats and the Vishmitals) need to make any kind of deal with some small-time militia? If anyone ever tried to openly attack Negav, short of a full-sized modern army, they'd get crushed. The battlemages, for example, are trained to fight giant monsters and creatures, they could wipe out entire groups of infantry at a time. Not to mention all of the weapons emplacements along the walls. Any kind of oppsoing force would be ripped to pieces before it got close.

true true, but a negotiator would be a good idea if you wanted to stop any blood from ever spilling. Wink a negotiator sounds like a good idea (even if my financial person wasnt a very good one sweatdrop )
Back to top Go down
http://foreverknight13.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:51 pm

I don't really think the Magiocrats would care about blowing away an aggressive militia. I mean, I assume that they have to periodically have Negavian forces smack down various bandit groups that target Ascarlin shipments. No reason to negotiate with them either.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
I don't really think the Magiocrats would care about blowing away an aggressive militia. I mean, I assume that they have to periodically have Negavian forces smack down various bandit groups that target Ascarlin shipments. No reason to negotiate with them either.

You only need to negotiate when the other side is a serious threat or has something you want. If they aren't you just crush them.

I doubt the Magiocrats would even care about some random militia unless they were stupid enough to attack Negav, or Magiocrat intrests directly. Then the crushing begins, and the problem would get sorted out in a matter of days, I imagine.
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

Location : In the land of nowhere, beyond the valley of somewhere, but not as far as the jungle of neither-here-nor-there....

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:

True, but it does remind us that not everything needs to be solved by force or by magic. There at least has to be something a negotiator would be good for on the counsil (I cant name one off the top of my head, but you get the idea I hope)
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Axel Hunter wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:

True, but it does remind us that not everything needs to be solved by force or by magic. There at least has to be something a negotiator would be good for on the counsil (I cant name one off the top of my head, but you get the idea I hope)

Its the Magiocrats. They run a safe-haven in the middle of a deathworld, where any mishaps or weaknesses could threaten the whole city. It seems likely that any issues would be handled quickly and forcefully if needed. They've done some shady things in the name of keeping the city safe/securing their position of power/building Negav into an interdimensional trade empire.
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:08 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Axel Hunter wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:

Its the Magiocrats. They run a safe-haven in the middle of a deathworld, where any mishaps or weaknesses could threaten the whole city. It seems likely that any issues would be handled quickly and forcefully if needed. They've done some shady things in the name of keeping the city safe/securing their position of power/building Negav into an interdimensional trade empire.

I dont see how that answers the idea of a negotiator, one is needed somewhere in life ( In other words I still dont follow what your saying sweatdrop )
Back to top Go down
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Axel Hunter wrote:
rcs619 wrote:
Axel Hunter wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:

I dont see how that answers the idea of a negotiator, one is needed somewhere in life ( In other words I still dont follow what your saying sweatdrop )
Indeed.
RCS, you seem to be hung up on this idea that the Magiocrats have to deal with everything using an iron fist when, honestly, civil discourse would probably be one of the fastest means of reaching closure in some situations.

Now I know you're probably rejecting this idea out of dislike for Luke's Marty Stu Militia but, as Axel has pointed out, it does makes sense for there to be some kind of Negotiator.

Besides, can't you picture it?

A sleek black car rolls through the city streets as a jazz saxophone plays and our protagonist begins monologuing.
"My name is Rog'ar Smith... I do a much needed job here in the City of Negav..."
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Considering it is a collection of minds, and not a single person, I imagine there should be numerous approaches to matters. Not everyone will agree on a single course of action every single time.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Black Aquila wrote:

A sleek black car rolls through the city streets as a jazz saxophone plays and our protagonist begins monologuing.
"My name is Rog'ar Smith... I do a much needed job here in the City of Negav..."
"In this city without memories predators, I am... a negotiator."

No, but I concur with Cliff on most counts. Negotiation is for when crushing isn't a viable option, or is too costly.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:26 pm

For some reason I get the feeling he'd look like the G-Man from the Half-life games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Black Aquila wrote:

Somehow Im getting a donald trump vibe off of that
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Axel Hunter wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Black Aquila wrote:

Somehow Im getting a donald trump vibe off of that
People here are in need of anime-education, man! I'll bet if I made a reference to some cheap shounen...
Back to top Go down
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Black Aquila wrote:

No, but I concur with Cliff on most counts. Negotiation is for when crushing isn't a viable option, or is too costly.
But that's where I think you guys aren't getting it, there are situation where you can't just violently crush something!
Take labor or contract disputes, you can't just brutally massacre the other party.
So, you'd best have someone on yours who can bring diplomacy to the table.

Really, while you guys want to paint the Magiocrats as Iron-fisted tyrants, Negav wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if it were such a dystopian despotate.
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:53 pm

I know what you mean Aquila. violence dosent solve everything. hmm, now that I think about it, the council could use a buisness section... for other political issues than just contract disputes
Back to top Go down
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Axel Hunter wrote:
I know what you mean Aquila. violence dosent solve everything. hmm, now that I think about it, the council could use a buisness section... for other political issues than just contract disputes
Indeed, and that's where having a professional negotiator on staff would come in handy.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Black Aquila wrote:

But that's where I think you guys aren't getting it, there are situation where you can't just violently crush something
Pffft. 99.99% of the time, you can.
Back to top Go down
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Black Aquila wrote:

But that's where I think you guys aren't getting it, there are situation where you can't just violently crush something
No, you see, you can't.

If you go around annihilating everyone, you're ether going to run out of people, or others are going to start to see you as a dangerous element and try they're best to make sure you end up dead.
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:34 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Black Aquila wrote:

with an 80% chance you'll end up causing even worse trouble than before (especially if the vithsmals, predators, or guardians get involved)

Its official, get the negotiators in, NOW
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:38 am

I doubt the Magiocrats would rely on one negotiator for the simple reason that most of them probably have the skill and the cunning to do it themselves if the need arises. What is more likely is that they have their own underlings preform the task of negotiation; if the issues as come so far that the Magiocrat themself is needed then there is a high possibility that the use of force has already been threatened, and the Magiocrtas have other opptions than just sending in the Isolon Fists when dealing with their advisaries. Of course that's not to say they may decide to directly part take from the start just to show they care.

Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 7:38 am

AisuKaiko wrote:
I'm not saying it has to be canon. It just needs to fit in with the wiki. I'm just saying that Felarya has a fixed setting. You need to respect Karbo's setting. It has to be within the realm of what is at the very least possible in Felarya. Like for example, humans and dryads can't breed. You can break the mold, go ahead, but do it within believable parameters.

Acting like the canon isn't a limit and that it can be gleefully ignored without so much as a single regret is probably the most disrespectful thing you could do to Karbo and Felarya short of maybe a direct confrontation.

Also, Axel, I find it odd that you agreed with Krisexy's thoughts on the canon when just earlier today, you made an angry thread because people didn't conform to your own views on Felarya. And before anyone says anything, I'm not here to defend my own view of Felarya. I'm defending Karbo's i.e. what's in the wiki.

For the most part, this entire statement was expressed pretty well but I think it still leaves room for misinterpretation. The words in bold are what gave me pause as I'm probably one of the biggest offenders when it comes to "ignoring" canon. I try to keep it within believability but then that's a pretty subjective term. For example, I have a Blue Sphinx with orange stripes and the capability to release the lightning she stores in her body, though I haven't decided whether or not she should be able to direct it. Another example of, well not quite contradicting canon but contradicting the general consensus, is my ideas concerning the growth rates of predators., namely harpies. For the sake of fitting my story, I have my harpies reach their adult size by the age of 18. Basically there's a huge growth spurt that begins at... well, puberty.

I'm sure I can think of more examples but it's probably not necessary. Both of the examples I've given go against what has generally been accepted so far, but the set parameters are pretty hard to work within. If I'm faced with too many limits I run into writer's block. I need to be a little more free to explore. I don't mean any harm by it. I don't mean to spite the wiki or any ideas that are in it. I definitely don't mean to disrespect or disregard community members, and I don't want to lose anyone's respect. I hope I haven't given anyone the impression that I'm anti-wiki, because I am very much PRO-wiki.

This is merely something that has been gnawing at me and I wanted to make sure everyone understood my stance. Sorry if this isn't the right thread for it.

Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 8:24 am

gt500x wrote:
AisuKaiko wrote:
I'm not saying it has to be canon. It just needs to fit in with the wiki. I'm just saying that Felarya has a fixed setting. You need to respect Karbo's setting. It has to be within the realm of what is at the very least possible in Felarya. Like for example, humans and dryads can't breed. You can break the mold, go ahead, but do it within believable parameters.

Acting like the canon isn't a limit and that it can be gleefully ignored without so much as a single regret is probably the most disrespectful thing you could do to Karbo and Felarya short of maybe a direct confrontation.

Also, Axel, I find it odd that you agreed with Krisexy's thoughts on the canon when just earlier today, you made an angry thread because people didn't conform to your own views on Felarya. And before anyone says anything, I'm not here to defend my own view of Felarya. I'm defending Karbo's i.e. what's in the wiki.

For the most part, this entire statement was expressed pretty well but I think it still leaves room for misinterpretation. The words in bold are what gave me pause as I'm probably one of the biggest offenders when it comes to "ignoring" canon. I try to keep it within believability but then that's a pretty subjective term.

I'm sure I can think of more examples but it's probably not necessary. Both of the examples I've given go against what has generally been accepted so far, but the set parameters are pretty hard to work within. If I'm faced with too many limits I run into writer's block. I need to be a little more free to explore. I don't mean any harm by it. I don't mean to spite the wiki or any ideas that are in it. I definitely don't mean to disrespect or disregard community members, and I don't want to lose anyone's respect. I hope I haven't given anyone the impression that I'm anti-wiki, because I am very much PRO-wiki.

This is merely something that has been gnawing at me and I wanted to make sure everyone understood my stance. Sorry if this isn't the right thread for it.

I have been feeling the same way. While I respect the boundaries set, In eed room to explore and get creative, and thie wiki (and heavy supporters, no offence) arent giving me much room to work with.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 am

There's a big gap between being creative and just going right against the style and rules of the world. The wiki is a source of inspiration as well as rules. Creativity does not mean just doing whatever regardless of the rules. Learning how to integrate the seeds of your own ideas within the parameters of a world is very creative.

The wiki is indicative and expressive of this world. If you don't like what is in the wiki, you have a problem with the world itself and should probably reconsider attempting to make integrated ideas within it.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Negav Council, bio ideas   The Negav Council, bio ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Negav Council, bio ideas
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next