Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?

Go down 
+22
Claire
Raveolution
Oldman40k2003
Grave
Anime-Junkie
kaitheguy1234
/Fish/
rcs619
GREGOLE
Jætte_Troll
gwadahunter2222
ZionAtriedes
Feadraug
codaman
SuperPieGuy9
Malahite
Karbo
Pendragon
Archmage_Bael
AisuKaiko
Saironthis
Stabs
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 2:20 pm

This is actually a good idea. Clarify everyone's problems to see if something can't be done.
Though I agree, the title is a bit nastier than the spirit of the thread. It should probably be something like "Your problems with Felarya".

Personally, I only have two REAL problems with Felarya, and they tend to overlap.

One of these is less Felarya itself, and more how Felarya seems to be percieved:

1. Felarya is meant to be a savage place, where everything is in a constant battle for survival. Note all the inhuman monsters running around. Note how many of them prey on large creatures. Note how these things seem to be entirely ignored, in favor of Felarya being a day spa for giantesses to snack on tiny, silly little humans.
The manga seems to be making an effort to remedy this problem, but the fanbase doesn't seem to be picking it up quite as much as would be ideal.

2. We have over two-dozen hybrid species, based on every branch of the animal kingdom, and several plants, and they all have the exact same ecological niche. There's some minor quirks here and there, but as a whole, these fully sapient creatures lead simple, xenophobic lives that revolve around eating humans. If there's any variation at all, it's how they go about catching humans.

This is what got me so tired of nagas, actually. There's no reason for them to be snakes. Do they constrict? Do they use venom? Do they swallow things larger than their own heads? Never! The ones that do exist exclusively as attempts to be subversive. But it's true of all races. Centaurs, mermaids, dyads, fairies, and harpies are so bland, their language is their sole defining trait.
I actually thought the Chalaenas honestly felt out of place simply because they're so distinct as a people.

The two stomachs thing with the nagas is a great start. But we need more.

I know a lot of folks here hate gore and cannibalism, but is there not a middle ground we could reach?
I know there's lots of explorers, but let's be reasonable. A giant living entirely on humans is like a human living entirely on snack cakes, and only eating five or so each day with the occasional binge. That's not nearly enough food. Factor in that most predators are proportionately larger than humans, and that those that aren't, like fairies, tend to use up so much energy anyway, it would be closer to a gorilla existing entirely on five twinkies a day.

And I know some of us draw predators with bellies stuffed into spheres with humans, but in order for that to work, you'd need fifty humans, minimum. I mean, am I the only one who headdesks when I see a giantess treating a human that's smaller than her hand as a full course meal?

I'm not suggesting we turn predators into zombie-esque cannibals who take bites out of other people, but we humans don't do that, and we eat enough.
There's a million animals that would provide greater nutrition to a giantess. Could we maybe show them being killed and prepared as food like we do to animals?

Even a lone, nomadic predator, if properly equipped, could take down an animal their own size.

Humans as the main food source in Felarya is just stupid. It's one of those glaring flaws that takes me out of the story. And as a vorarephile who IS into giantess vore, I think I can speak with experience in saying that there are things that no amount of fetish fuel can patch up.

Could we maybe distinguish our predators a bit more? And for the love of Cthulhu, could we maybe try to approach humans as more of a delicacy - like twinkies - that predators eat for their unique taste and "fun size"? I guarantee you, it'll be SO much more rewarding, and SO much less formulaic.

Last edited by GREGOLE on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 2:51 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
1. Felarya is meant to be a savage place, where everything is in a constant battle for survival. Note all the inhuman monsters running around. Note how many of them prey on large creatures. Note how these things seem to be entirely ignored, in favor of Felarya being a day spa for giantesses to snack on tiny, silly little humans.
The manga seems to be making an effort to remedy this problem, but the fanbase doesn't seem to be picking it up quite as much as would be ideal.

I have to agree that this is a big problem. I also think of Felarya as that, as a savage land. But also depends on the point of view of the characters in a certain story. Some might find it less dangerous, others will be in constant danger... and many won't tell the tale. And not precisely because the end in some predator's stomach, there are more dangers than that.

I acknowledge that part of Felarya. Other thing is that I haven't proven that I acknowledge it too much. Something I should solve myself.

Also, it's of common sense to know that no predator can base their diet only in festing on humans, nekos or the like. Variety in someone's diet is appreciated.

Humans can be that, a delicacy, though well... people prefer not to show what else preds can eat. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:25 pm

About the predator's diet in the wiki there are many cases of predators like Stone sphinx, Lamina Harpies which don't feed only on human as many characters Like Vivian, Anko whose diet are not only consisting with Humans and even in the manga Crisis ate a Citrose. I'm willingly limit myself to Karbo character to show how it's funny

I'm still don't understand why people is still complaining about it. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Quote :
About the predator's diet in the wiki there are many cases of predators like Stone sphinx, Lamina Harpies which don't feed only on human as many characters Like Vivian, Anko whose diet are not only consisting with Humans and even in the manga Crisis ate a Citrose. I'm willingly limit myself to Karbo character to show how it's funny

I'm still don't understand why people is still complaining about it. scratch

Crisis ate one fruit once, then complained that she didn't have any humans.

You don't see the problem?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:44 pm

GREGOLE wrote:

Crisis ate one fruit once, then complained that she didn't have any humans.

You don't see the problem?
I see no problem because fruits are easily digested by the body and don't satisfy the hunger. In clear she can eat fruit to stay healthy but her hunger won't be satisfied until you eat something more consistent.
I would see a problem if it was a potato-like vegetable. A big whole potato can full you easily because it's slow to be digested.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Malahite wrote:
Could we maybe distinguish our predators a bit more? And for the love of Cthulhu, could we maybe try to approach humans as more of a delicacy - like twinkies - that predators eat for their unique taste and "fun size"? I guarantee you, it'll be SO much more rewarding, and SO much less formulaic.

I agree Malahite. I can certainly eat a lot of deserts a day, healthy food, and exercise and still come out in shape. All we have to do is just expand a bit more on what nagas eat otherwise.

It will be rewarding too. It will give the satisfaction of a fuller world. It will also explain why predators seem to enjoy eating humans/nekos/elves so much. For one thing, my naga: Janev certainly eats things more than just humans, and I show it when I rp as her.

as for the fairy thing though, I'll accept your arguments. It just frustrates me, and the more species we say that are against them racially, now makes me want to define their culture more. Still, I think we can pretty much leave fairies alone though and concentrate on other aspects of felarya. Like slug girls. XD
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:47 pm

This is probably my inner-GameFAQs forumgoer talking, but I'm watching this thread just because I know how it's gonna devolve.

But if there is anything I don't particularly like about Felarya...

I guess I'll agree with Gregole, since I never understood how 3 or 4 humans can make their bellies bulge out like they ate a whole city. It'd have to get very crowded in there for it to look like that.

and the fact that night and day happen as per-usual despite Felarya not really being a planet.

And how does it have a horizon if it's presumably flat? (correct me if Felarya is, in fact, curved like a round surface)

And what are it's boundaries like? Does it just drop off into some dimensional limbo?

and what if you dig too far underground, do you keep going, or do you leave Felarya eventually?
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:49 pm

AisuKaiko wrote:
and the fact that night and day happen as per-usual despite Felarya not really being a planet.

I came up with an idea that changes that around a bit.

AisuKaiko wrote:
And what are it's boundaries like? Does it just drop off into some dimensional limbo?

It loops around, to give the illusion of it being a planet.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Quote :
I agree Malahite. I can certainly eat a lot of deserts a day, healthy food, and exercise and still come out in shape. All we have to do is just expand a bit more on what nagas eat otherwise.

I'm Casey, remember?
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Ah, right, interesting o__o Well, still, horizons.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:52 pm

As I said, people prefer not to show the rest of a predator's diet. But we all know preds don't just eat people. :V

Maybe the problem isn't "predators just eat people", but how stories are oriented to just show that part.

Also, none of my characters has actually a human-based diet. They might prefer humans or the like BUT know that a good diet isn't just us. Heck, even photosyntesis could work for dryads! Razz

Also, something tells me that the whole day-night thing in Felarya might depend on the world(s) it's connected to. After all, doesn't Felarya share some things from the world(s) it's connected to?
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:55 pm

AisuKaiko wrote:
and what if you dig too far underground, do you keep going, or do you leave Felarya eventually?
The wiki state if you fly too high or did to far you are teleported randomly in one of the many dimensions the world was connected when you reach the limit.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 4:54 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
AisuKaiko wrote:
The wiki state if you fly too high or did to far you are teleported randomly in one of the many dimensions the world was connected when you reach the limit.

https://felarya.forumotion.com/ideas-discussion-f3/felarya-physics-t1210.htm?highlight=physics

Here is the Felarya physics thread where much of that has been brought up and discussed, among other aspects of the dimensional plane as well.

Also, tweaked the thread's title a little to make it less stand-offish. Talking about things you "hate" is usually how flamewars are sparked. As long as things are kept calm and civil, this could be a good thread to air out issues we think need to be improved. I completely agree with what Gregole said, and have been trying to spread the idea that humans are considered more of a "snack" than a staple of predators' diets (something Karbo HAS confirmed before on the forum. Forget exactly where though).
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 5:40 pm

rcs619 wrote:
I completely agree with what Gregole said, and have been trying to spread the idea that humans are considered more of a "snack" than a staple of predators' diets (something Karbo HAS confirmed before on the forum. Forget exactly where though).

Right from the wiki wrote:
They love to ambush convoys and small groups of humans. A typical giant naga eats about 5 humans a day to stay healthy, and many more in order to feel satiated. They eat animals if the hunt is going poorly, and some have even included fruits and vegetables in their diet.

A paradox!

The second one seems to imply that they only eat other things if they absolutely can't find humans. Either it's worded poorly, or something.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

AisuKaiko wrote:
rcs619 wrote:
I completely agree with what Gregole said, and have been trying to spread the idea that humans are considered more of a "snack" than a staple of predators' diets (something Karbo HAS confirmed before on the forum. Forget exactly where though).

Right from the wiki wrote:
They love to ambush convoys and small groups of humans. A typical giant naga eats about 5 humans a day to stay healthy, and many more in order to feel satiated. They eat animals if the hunt is going poorly, and some have even included fruits and vegetables in their diet.

A paradox!

The second one seems to imply that they only eat other things if they absolutely can't find humans. Either it's worded poorly, or something.

It leans pretty far to the fetish-marketed side instead of the more realistic side in that description.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:13 pm

I would like to point out the fact that this particular quote has been in the wiki forever, since the days when Felarya WAS a primarily vore-centered world that catered almost exclusively to vore-fetishists.

I know that Karbo himself has stated in one of the threads around here that the majority of a predators' diet is smaller animals and fruit. Humans are an enjoyable, and slightly less common snack to supplement their diets. (much like Casey's comparison of humans to a snack-cake, or a twinky)

A cookie and a Fiona-hug to whoever finds me that post where Karbo confirms that humans are NOT the main foodsource in the preds' diets.
Back to top Go down
kaitheguy1234
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
kaitheguy1234

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:41 pm

https://felarya.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f1/problems-with-felarya-t1512.htm#47427

on this page, karbo stated that giants DO use other things then humans for food.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Xiao: awww, Kait beat us to it. >_<
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:44 pm

*Dingdingding* We have a winner

*tosses Kaith a cookie, and then Fiona glomps him*

This statement is a lot more vague than I remember though. Guess we'll still have to get Karbo to definatively set the issue straight sometime.

For the record, I think Casey's "Twinky-theory" is a very good view on it.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Nah, I like "zingers"

we got RED skin, WHITE skin, and we gotz deh BLACK skin.

(sorry. that kind built up on me from when he mentioned twinkies.)
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Well, you also have to combine the human-like qualities of the preds with their slightly more feral nature. They often go after humans because of the ease of capture and consumption. It's one reason why my characters don't have as much of a problem with preds as most humans do: they've just made it so difficult to defeat them, preds don't want to waste the energy. See, the best survival strategy isn't to try and beat a predator, it's to just make yourself so exhausting to eat, you're not worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 7:49 am

rcs619 wrote:
I would like to point out the fact that this particular quote has been in the wiki forever, since the days when Felarya WAS a primarily vore-centered world that catered almost exclusively to vore-fetishists.

I know that Karbo himself has stated in one of the threads around here that the majority of a predators' diet is smaller animals and fruit. Humans are an enjoyable, and slightly less common snack to supplement their diets. (much like Casey's comparison of humans to a snack-cake, or a twinky)

A cookie and a Fiona-hug to whoever finds me that post where Karbo confirms that humans are NOT the main foodsource in the preds' diets.

I'm not sure which post you mean specifically and where it is but yeah I think I definitely made this point. and I remake it once and for all ( I hope ^^) : No nagas or any predators have a diet comprised only of humans ( the only exception might be Menyssan in hell but ithat's a special case ). Humans, nekos, or others mall humanoids are seen as treats but they are by no mean the main source of food.. and that goes even for voracious ones like Crisis for example .
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:47 am

Karbo wrote:
I'm not sure which post you mean specifically and where it is but yeah I think I definitely made this point. and I remake it once and for all ( I hope ^^) : No nagas or any predators have a diet comprised only of humans ( the only exception might be Menyssan in hell but ithat's a special case ). Humans, nekos, or others mall humanoids are seen as treats but they are by no mean the main source of food.. and that goes even for voracious ones like Crisis for example .

could you elaborate a little more on the "Crisis doesn't just eat humans" part? She must eat a ton of small prey to satisfy her diet then, since it was my understanding she never uses her expandable jaws.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:58 am

I could easily understand where this could come from. When you see a naga like Crisis, she's either eating humans, thinking about eating humans, resting with a full stomach after eating humans, or wondering if any humans are nearby. A lot of mediums, the manga included, don't follow the "Twinkie theory." You could say it just isn't shown, but since the only time Crisis even mentions being full is after we see her ravage a party of adventurers. I mean, one could allude to her eating animals, at least, but I can't find it. No "I'd eat these humans, but I'm full on Duikers" or anything like that. It's always "I'm hungry, humans." I don't know, it just feels like a massive inconsistency.

And I don't want this to turn into a war between those trying to preserve the vore aspect and those trying to push it out. That's the last thing that I want to happen. It already feels like some of the people here are tending toward that path, though, and not just in this thread.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 10:19 am

Quote :
And I don't want this to turn into a war between those trying to preserve the vore aspect and those trying to push it out. That's the last thing that I want to happen. It already feels like some of the people here are tending toward that path, though, and not just in this thread.

I don't think anyone wants to push vore out of Felarya. That'd be like pushing Arnold out of the Terminator movies, or rubber suits out of Japanese sci-fi. But that same element has been taking a little too firm a hold on it, I think. Felarya has gone from a savage land where soft vore is common to a universe that revolves entirely around giantess vore.

Alright, we have founder clarification that humans are more like feral twinkies than full course meals. We have the logical confirmation, but we really need to portray it.
I still think most predators should hunt big game in addition to bite-sized prey. It's more realistic in a variety of ways, it adds a new dimension that could help take most Felarya stories out of their formulaic approach, and I'm reasonably certain the idea is tame enough so that those of us who aren't immune to gore won't cringe at the thought.

I also still think the monster races need more cultural or biological definition. Hell, Duamutef made a universe where every physical and biological law ever written was completely re-written to suit his tastes, and still managed to make each and every species distinct and fascinating, despite them all eating people as their primary food source. He's one guy, we're a hundred! Surely we could do it too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?   Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is there anything you think could be improved about Felarya?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next